Welcome to the GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

  • Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Search forums
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Dank

2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

3,013 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, SysEvo said:

 

My research mentor called the director and the director emailed the lecturer, asking him to consider adjustments. The director called what the instructor has done as unreasonable and said the faculty should not hinder students' success. Don't know if this will irritate the instructor and exacerbate the tense...

That sounds like good news to me. At least you are not on your own now. You got some higher but reasonable professors trying to help you. And you got us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, desmond.bo said:

That sounds like good news to me. At least you are not on your own now. You got some higher but reasonable professors trying to help you. And you got us.

Yes :)

Better than you started!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Pepperoni said:

yea no idea...I'm international but live and study in the USA, so I'm not sure what I'm considered as for their purposes

Same same. So we're on the same boat:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, pitchfork said:

I just did

Were you notified through the portal or by email?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, are there some international students residing outside US who got GSK interview here? Have you heard about their skype interview arrangement so far? Not hearing anything makes me anxious, and I am afraid this coming arrangement would have time conflict with another skype interview(which will conduct in four different times). And both programs are my top choices now…lol

 

Another thing is, does anyone know if baylor college of medicine-MCB program has sent interview invitation or not?In the result, someone has posted rej through email. I guess they should have sent their interviews by now, but I haven't heard anything. Am I waitlisted?I uploaded a two-page research description as the research statement in the application(but BCM required a one-page RS), not sure if this is the thing that's gonna hurt me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone! I'm currently a junior getting the process started for graduate school applications. I'm graduating a semester early mainly for financial reasons and I'm also applying to begin Fall of 2018 or Spring of 2017 (if the school allows it by chance). I posted my qualifications down below and I was hoping you could give me an idea of how realistic the schools I'm interested in are and also places where I could improve my application. I already realize my GPA is pretty low but some of that stems from a bad semester freshman year (including a C- in an Intro Econ course) and since then, my GPA has had an upward trend. Let me know what you guys think and also may some other schools I would be interested in. I want to primarily stay in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic region and my big research interest really is anything involving molecular or genetic mechanism behind neurodegenerative disorders, so any schools that are particular strong in Alzheimer's research and the such would be a big interest to me. Thanks!

Undergrad Institution: #12 ranked Liberal Arts School current junior, graduating a semester early
Major(s): Neuroscience
Minor(s): Biology
GPA in Major: 3.03
Overall GPA: 3.06
Position in Class: Slightly above Average
Type of Student: Domestic, male, white

GRE Scores (revised/old version): Officially taking them this Saturday (fingers crossed!) but these were my scores from the latest official practice test I took and I'm still hoping to bump them up another couple of points each
Q: 162
V: 163
W:4

Research Experience: (copied and pasted from my CV minus any personal info)

 

Behavioral Genetics Lab, Research Assistant, Department of Neuroscience, Colgate University                    August 2016-present

·         Responsible for ordering of laboratory supplies and lab maintenance

·         Created and maintained roster of zebra finches present within lab

·         Utilized Cryostat for the sectioning of avian brain tissue

·         Collaborated with lab PI to develop an independent research project studying the effects of various drug treatments for Huntington’s disease within a transgenic Zebra Finch model

**   ***I've only been in this lab for a semester so far but I will have been a part of it consistently for 1.5 years by the time I graduate, the professor and I have a very good rapport and also wants to write a letter of rec for me

Rutgers Behavioral Neuroscience Lab, Research Assistant, Department of Psychology, Rutgers University             May 2016-August 2016

·         Independently collected histological data from a Zebra Finch model for learning and memory

·         Utilized Vibratome to section brain tissue

·         Captured images of induced lesions within the NCM region of the brain using staining techniques involving Cresyl Violet and optical microscopy

·         Participated in weekly care of Zebra Finches and overall maintenance of the lab

Colgate Behavioral Neuroscience Lab, Lab Assistant, Department of Neuroscience, Colgate University                 January 2016-May 2016

·         Studied the effects of maternal care and early postnatal clomipramine treatment on offspring anxiety and miRNA-16 expression in the adult rat brain

·         Collected behavioral data from elevated plus and open field mazes

·         Responsible for performing daily injections of saline or drug into rat pups

·         Participated in weekly lab meetings to collaborate with fellow students and lab PI on the direction of the project and future directions for the lab

Animal Psychology Lab, Research Assistant, Department of Psychology, Colgate University       February 2015-May 2015

     Conducted research about social dominance in specific settings among zebra finches through observation and qualitative metrics

     Performed a literature review using Pubmed, Google Scholar and PsycINFO in order to find metrics with which to study social hierarchy among zebra finches

·                          Formulated a hypothesis and experiment based on past research in order to study this phenomenon

Rutgers Behavioral Neuroscience Lab, Lab Assistant, Department of Psychology                     June 2014-August 2014

     Trimmed raw data files of birds song samples and analyzed files to compare their similarities using Goldwave and Sound Analysis Pro

Supported graduate students by helping set up experiments and observing qualitative metrics of study

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's Award (Spring 2016), Eagle Scout (may be a bit old but I've heard including it certainly doesn't hurt and depending on the person reading my CV it could help!)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: paid Tutor for ACT, volunteer SAT tutor through school to help impoverished high school students in area, Volunteer EMT-B (certified), was elected to serve on executive board for school's Model UN club the entirety of last year 

Special Bonus Points: already paid a visit to U of Rochester and talked with a number of professors and admission committee members, current PI says he knows people on Columbia admissions committee and a letter of rec from him can carry weight


Applying to Where:

University of Rochester- Biochemistry- Molecular mechanisms of neurodegenerative disorders
Columbia University-CMBS program- same research interest above (this would be my #1 pick, but is probably a bit of stretch)

UPenn-Neuroscience- same as above

Yale-BBS-same as above

UMass Worchester- same as above

Rutgers- Neuroscience- same as above (same program as the lab I worked over the summer participates in so I know a handful of professors there and have a good relationship with them as well)

Rockefeller- Biosciences- same as above (also a big stretch but the professor I work with now recently moved from there and may have connections)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mdamb231 said:

Were you notified through the portal or by email?

Email

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone heard back from Johns Hopkins CMM yet? When I called last Friday they said they were still making decisions and have not once picked up the phone this week nor have they responded to my emails. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody applied to the Georgia Tech Biology PhD program? If so, has anyone heard back?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, charmquarkz said:

Anybody applied to the Georgia Tech Biology PhD program? If so, has anyone heard back?

I applied to Gatech qBioS with my Biology be my host department. but the admission processes probably are different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SysEvo said:

I applied to Gatech qBioS with my Biology be my host department. but the admission processes probably are different.

Ah, yes I wonder if the process is different for the subtracks. I applied to EEB. There are some entries for just general Biology in the results section from previous years and it looks like the interview offers could come in a little later this month. Fingers crossed!

Edited by charmquarkz
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have only gotten one interview from my safe school among all five schools I applied to. I am assuming the rest of them will reject me because it is late January already.

I have a question for people applied in previous cycles: if your application results suck, what choices did you make? Did you quit the field permanently, find a lab technician job and work for a few more years, or go to the only school (your safety school) and spend five years there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, DesperadoBio said:

I have only gotten one interview from my safe school among all five schools I applied to. I am assuming the rest of them will reject me because it is late January already.

I have a question for people applied in previous cycles: if your application results suck, what choices did you make? Did you quit the field permanently, find a lab technician job and work for a few more years, or go to the only school (your safety school) and spend five years there?

what are the other schools?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, cancergirl said:

what are the other schools?

Stanford, Rice, UCSD, and WashU.

WashU just rejected me actually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, DesperadoBio said:

I have only gotten one interview from my safe school among all five schools I applied to. I am assuming the rest of them will reject me because it is late January already.

I have a question for people applied in previous cycles: if your application results suck, what choices did you make? Did you quit the field permanently, find a lab technician job and work for a few more years, or go to the only school (your safety school) and spend five years there?

I didn't apply out of undergrad because I did not want to go straight from undergrad to grad school. I would say get a research tech position and work in a lab full time, it's a completely different world from undergrad research and programs really care about your LOR and research experience, both of which will be aided by post-grad research experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Epigenetics said:

I didn't apply out of undergrad because I did not want to go straight from undergrad to grad school. I would say get a research tech position and work in a lab full time, it's a completely different world from undergrad research and programs really care about your LOR and research experience, both of which will be aided by post-grad research experience.

How many years did you do post-grad research? Did you do it in an industry setting or a university setting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, DesperadoBio said:

Stanford, Rice, UCSD, and WashU.

WashU just rejected me actually.

you should have applied to more schools..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DesperadoBio said:

How many years did you do post-grad research? Did you do it in an industry setting or a university setting?

I've been working as a computational biologist for ~18months now. I was also lucky that my undergraduate research was completely independent, my professor pretty much gave me a project and said "do it". It's an academic setting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, cancergirl said:

you should have applied to more schools..

Yeah I kinda regret that now but I was having like the most volatile time when i applied because my research got scooped. I was also advised against applying to mor than 5 schools by my advisor in college. Also given my field is in plant bio there wasn't a lot of choices. 

I am currently thinking either quitting the field of life science becuase the application result shows that I am probably not good enough to stay in the field, or just quit plant biology and extend to other fields by finding a lab technician job,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, DesperadoBio said:

Yeah I kinda regret that now but I was having like the most volatile time when i applied because my research got scooped. I was also advised against applying to mor than 5 schools by my advisor in college. Also given my field is in plant bio there wasn't a lot of choices. 

I am currently thinking either quitting the field of life science becuase the application result shows that I am probably not good enough to stay in the field, or just quit plant biology and extend to other fields by finding a lab technician job,

Don't overinterpret one set of failures, the application process doesn't mean you aren't good enough, it can mean a lot of things. Getting more experience is always good, especially post-graduate, and you don't have to be committed to a field yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just heard back from Albert Einstein College of Medicine, so excited! I applied right on the deadline Dec. 15, I was feeling kind of hopeless about that one because I saw so many people had interviews already.

Now I'm just waiting on CU-Boulder.. So happy rn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone here applied to the Purdue integrative life sciences (Pulse) program? Haven't heard anything from them and no one here seems to have gotten any invites.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Epigenetics said:

Don't overinterpret one set of failures, the application process doesn't mean you aren't good enough, it can mean a lot of things. Getting more experience is always good, especially post-graduate, and you don't have to be committed to a field yet.

 

Thanks. It is just really hard because I spent every college summer in the United States to do research instead of flying home to spend time with my family. I am really tired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, biowligist said:

Now I'm just waiting on CU-Boulder.. So happy rn

Did you apply to MCDB or another program?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, charmquarkz said:

Ah, yes I wonder if the process is different for the subtracks. I applied to EEB. There are some entries for just general Biology in the results section from previous years and it looks like the interview offers could come in a little later this month. Fingers crossed!

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now