2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dank

Is it appropriate to ask schools if I got accepted? There are two schools I interviewed who said we will hear from them on Jan 30...The thing is I scheduled another interview on Jan 30 for an institution which I do not really want to attend if I got accepted into either one of two schools..If I could know that I may be able to cancel the interview on time 

On 1/24/2017 at 4:34 PM, emfarce said:

Well that's a relief! Good to know they're still going through applications, and thank you for the response! Are you an undergrad there or working on your masters?

I'm an undergrad currently in my final semester, but I work for the biology department and am an accepted MS student, so I talk frequently to those who work in the graduate programs office!

Accepted at Sanger Institute/Cambridge 4-year programme! The problem is that they told me I have to let them know by next Monday!?! I have interviews planned into march! I am trying to set up calls with my presumed advisor's students and talking to other people for advice. But this is difficult.

12 minutes ago, AGradStudentHasNoName said:

Accepted at Sanger Institute/Cambridge 4-year programme! The problem is that they told me I have to let them know by next Monday!?! I have interviews planned into march! I am trying to set up calls with my presumed advisor's students and talking to other people for advice. But this is difficult.

I envy you! Sanger seems like the best Dphil program in UK :)

11 minutes ago, myhairtiebroke said:

I travel tomorrow and start interviews on Friday, but I still haven't received an itinerary. I already emailed an administrator, but they haven't replied. Should I be worried, or be more patient?

I have one that starts tomorrow and I only received my itinerary last night so I wouldn't be too worried, but I do find it odd that they wait so long to let students know what their schedule is!!!

Edited by charmquarkz

14 minutes ago, myhairtiebroke said:

I travel tomorrow and start interviews on Friday, but I still haven't received an itinerary. I already emailed an administrator, but they haven't replied. Should I be worried, or be more patient?

If you refer to the flight itinerary, I think you should call... If you mean the interview schedule, then don't worry.

6 hours ago, MCF10A said:

I got a confirmation from the UPenn CAMB cancer bio POI that all interviews for intl students were sent out already. The whole CAMB has a quota of accepting ~3 intl students this year but they received several hundreds of intl applications. Sorry.

Wait, the whole CAMB had a quota for 3 international students? Not just CAMB cancer bio?

So I'm sure this would be more appropriate in a thread dedicated to interview prep, but because there has been a lot of very useful advice here on the subject (I myself being on the receiving end) I thought I would share something I just discovered. I searched for my interviewers on YouTube to see if they had any publicly available seminars, and turns out most of them do! I watched the most recent for each faculty and I found it extremely helpful for the ones I'm really interested in working with. I also feel like I almost know them a little better and don't feel as nervous about talking to them in person??? I guess I'll know for sure whether it helped tomorrow after my first interview takes place, but just thought I would share in case anyone is feeling a little stressed about reading and not processing very well!

I'm super late in doing this but . . .

Undergrad Institution: Top 10 University in Japan 
Major(s): Biological Sciences
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: what is this...
Overall GPA: 4.22/4.30
Position in Class: No idea
Type of Student: International Female

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 170
V: 157
W: 4.0
B: -

TOEFL Total: 118/120

Research Experience: 1 year in Molecular Neurobiology lab and almost 2 years in my current lab (Circadian rhythm)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Current undergraduate scholarship

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Tutor

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Nothing special

Special Bonus Points: Nothing special

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where:

Northwestern University (NUIN) - Interview soon

UCSD (Biology) - Nothing so far, so rejection ...

University of Michigan (PIBS) - Interviewed on Jan 20th

The Scripps Research Institute (Biology) - Accepted

On 1/18/2017 at 8:43 PM, Kvothe~ said:

I'm guessing mine's a reject, since I looked into the portal, and under the "Confirm interview" tab it says " You have not been invited to an interview."

Have you heard anything from Pitt?

18 hours ago, pitchfork said:

Wait, the whole CAMB had a quota for 3 international students? Not just CAMB cancer bio?

Huh. That's strange to me that they would have spots for just 3? I know they have had lots of intls before, as far as just last year. I guess it's a reject then. Sigh. :(

13 hours ago, jumbo1177 said:

Same!!! Beyond ecstatic! Can't wait for the second visit!

Congrats to both of you!  i guess i can write off Sloan Kettering :(   Although until i receive a rejection, there is always a teensy little bit of hope left.

Ok guys, I have a questions. I got an interview from a school (call it school A) that I am interested in, however, through searching the forum a school (Call it school B ) higher on my list is planning an interview weekend on the same weekend. I have yet to be invited to school B  interview weekend, but its a month away. Should I accept the interview at school A and worry about having to reschedule the interviews when it happens? Would it be appropriate to call school B and explain the situation. If push comes to shove, I would rather interview at school B than school A. 

Recently received my interview schedule for Johns Hopkins MMI/BMB...and I was surprised that the faculty I'm meeting with don't entirely match my research interests. In my app I said I was interested in microbiology and they paired me with two immunology people and two random cell bio people. Is this a bad sign? Between the two programs I gave them nearly 10 people I was interested working with and they matched me with 2. Does this mean that most of the people on my list didn't want to meet with me, or that they just weren't available? I've been on two interviews so far and they did a really good job of finding people whose research interested matched my own. Has anyone else experienced this?

On 1/25/2017 at 6:24 PM, ScienceFiend said:

Got a rejection frrom Mt. Sinai. Anyone else? I wonder if it was a generic email.

The interviews ended weekend before last, and all the acceptances, rejections, waitlist notifications from that event should be sent out as soon as Monday. All the rejection letters of those who were not interviewed will most likely be sent out this week. 

2 hours ago, Josie817 said:

Recently received my interview schedule for Johns Hopkins MMI/BMB...and I was surprised that the faculty I'm meeting with don't entirely match my research interests. In my app I said I was interested in microbiology and they paired me with two immunology people and two random cell bio people. Is this a bad sign? Between the two programs I gave them nearly 10 people I was interested working with and they matched me with 2. Does this mean that most of the people on my list didn't want to meet with me, or that they just weren't available? I've been on two interviews so far and they did a really good job of finding people whose research interested matched my own. Has anyone else experienced this?

That means that only two PIs are available at that time; and you shouldn't be worried. 

I applied here for a PREP program; and the interview process was kind of hectic. I selected 8 PIs, and only interviewed with two during that interview cycle. I suspect a lot of professors are either busy or not available during that week.