I think the GREs are a deterrent mechanism

90sNickelodeon

GREs  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Should the GREs be necessary for graduate admissions?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

And exam as GRE would make more sense in order to apply to undergraduate studies, but why to graduate studies? I can talk about the General Exam because I don’t know about the subject one. The “syllabus” of the exam is high school material, so I don’t see the point about making students who left high school few years ago to take an exam in order to get in a graduate school.

Actually, If I were American, I would have taken the exam just after finishing High School.

And exam as GRE would make more sense in order to apply to undergraduate studies, but why to graduate studies? I can talk about the General Exam because I don’t know about the subject one. The “syllabus” of the exam is high school material, so I don’t see the point about making students who left high school few years ago to take an exam in order to get in a graduate school.

Actually, If I were American, I would have taken the exam just after finishing High School.

Unfortunately, here in the US we have other tests we need to take around that time - specifically the SAT and/or ACT. And before those, of course, there's the PSAT, which we have to take in order to be considered for certain awards. And before that, there are the yearly state exams, which test whether students are learning the material they theoretically should be.

Personally, I'm so used to all of these tests that all I feel about the GRE is resignation. It's just another test, like all of the others. And like all of the others, it probably won't make or break my application. It's unfairly biased, but it's not going away until the entire US educational system changes. In fact, I liked the GRE better than the SAT - it was a lot easier, in my opinion. If we're voting on tests that should go, my first choice to be thrown out would be the SAT, then the GRE, then the ACT.

• 2 weeks later...

In many ways, I believe that the GREs are there to deter people from applying to graduate school. Think about it: it costs $150 to take--an exorbitant amount for some people. Many times you have to take it more than once. Also, the prep classes costs thousands of dollars placing some people at an unfair advantage. :lol:

Do you feel that the GREs should be necessary for graduate admissions? Why or why not?

Yes, I think it is necessary. And no, prep classes are not necessary (and the vast majority do not take them to begin with). Anybody who puts in a month of study should be able to get a 1300+ no problem.

Edited by tempus

If you are concerned about paying $150 for a standardized test, then why would be interested in paying tens of thousands of dollars for grad school?

It's not as much about not being able to afford the $150 as it is about how little you get for that money. The test itself is about as user-unfriendly as I could imagine, questionable in its ability to predict grad school success, and only getting to send four scores for free (and having to pick them right after the test, which can be very early in the whole process before you've finalized your list of schools) can require spending $300 or more. $300 is expensive for an awful lot of people, especially those of us who will rely on fellowships, TA-ships, RA-ships, and/or loans to finance their graduate education, which, fingers crossed, actually is a good investment.

Stuff White People Like - Grad School

So true.

Yup, that pretty much sums it up.

Stuff Non-White (aka Asian and other international) People Like? Masters and PhDs in Engineering, Math, Science, Technology, etc. Now why is that?!

Really? You do realize that "Stuff White People Like" is meant to be satirical, right? Like, stereotypes meant to be chuckled at rather than taken seriously? And that's what you're using as the foundation of your argument that grad degrees outside math and natural sciences are not worthwhile? :blink: Please tell me I read that incorrectly.

Edited by rwfan88

Stuff White People Like - Grad School

So true.

Yup, that pretty much sums it up.

Stuff Non-White (aka Asian and other international) People Like? Masters and PhDs in Engineering, Math, Science, Technology, etc. Now why is that?!

I think it depends on what you find worthwhile in life. It's evident that you enjoy spending your time dumping on other people, and anything that doesn't support capitalistic values.

You don't think that most people in humanities/social science know that it's not the golden ticket (monetary-wise)? But, they're still here, right?

Edited by peppermint.beatnik

. . .

Signed, sealed, delivered,

A non-white hopeful PhD in English lit. who is capable of distinguishing between satire and fact and productive versus unproductive discourse

ETModify: removed a line that could be considered "a personal attack" to avoid foisting more work on the mods. Replaced with ellipsis, which probably makes the point more effectively than what I initially had did anyway.

Edited by glasses