Chicago vs MLA?

Averroes MD

I think it's just that different disciplines prefer different citation styles. History uses Chicago whereas English/lit/critical theory use MLA, at least in my experience. I don't think any of them are more academic than the other, just different ways of accomplishing the same thing. 

20 minutes ago, alain said:

I think it's just that different disciplines prefer different citation styles. History uses Chicago whereas English/lit/critical theory use MLA, at least in my experience. I don't think any of them are more academic than the other, just different ways of accomplishing the same thing. 

Thanks. I wonder what Theology & Religious Studies use. I'm assuming Chicago?

Most RS and Theology programs use the notes and bibliography style of Chicago, while sciences use the author-date style of Chicago. Yes, there's two forms of Chicago but not much difference.

While Turabian use to be an ever slight deviation from Chicago, that's no longer the case. I *think* Turabian finally gave up and fully merged with Chicago in the latest addition.

Like you Averroes, I don't care much for MLA but that's b/c I've been using Chicago for the last 10 years or so.

I think it depends on your region and experience. I use MLA and APA because I started in Lit/Critical Theory and APA is standard in Latin American social sciences. 

I personally don't like Chicago. It's too exclusive for my tastes and needs.