Fall 2016 Decisions - MSW (Masters in Social Work)

morningjunky

Hey everyone,

It seems we've received most of our admissions decisions and I'm just wondering what school(s) everyone is considering or have entirely ruled out already. I'm still waiting on CUNY Hunter (my top choice in-state) to invite me for an interview (or decline me), but have already received a substantial scholarship offer from Boston College (BC) which would make attending slightly cheaper than Hunter. I'm leaning towards BC as they have a strong global practice concentration and offer study abroad internships/field placements for second year, the availability of graduate assistantships which would help me pay for living expenses and research being conducted currently is relevant to what I want to study/practice. However, Hunter would be great because I like how strong their community organizing concentration is, their global practice with refugees and immigrants is also strong, how social justice oriented they are and how focused they are on assisting those in urban areas, but especially NYC and the fact that I wouldn't have to move for school (moving can be so stressful).

I also looked up external funding for my second year from outside sources which would make taking out loans for living expenses and tuition ranging from 25-35K (I have undergrad loans and do not want to take out more than 40K for my graduate education). Both schools offer my interest - macro/community organizing with refugees and immigrants within an international context. Funding, location and interests/fit were the most important factors in deciding what schools to decide. So I'm still split between Hunter and BC.

Has anyone decided?

Edited by morningjunky

I'm still considering myself undecided, only because I would prefer to have every admission decision in hand before signing any forms of enrollment. I am also a dual degree applicant, so that's a huge factor for making my ultimate decision: I would prefer the option to complete both master degrees over one.

But just now, I received acceptance from UT-Austin's public affairs program! The ability to complete the dual degrees, plus the cost of living in Austin, along with the national recognition of UT-Austin has moved it to my top choice. Now I need to schedule an actual campus visit.

32 minutes ago, RCtheSS said:

I'm still considering myself undecided, only because I would prefer to have every admission decision in hand before signing any forms of enrollment. I am also a dual degree applicant, so that's a huge factor for making my ultimate decision: I would prefer the option to complete both master degrees over one.

But just now, I received acceptance from UT-Austin's public affairs program! The ability to complete the dual degrees, plus the cost of living in Austin, along with the national recognition of UT-Austin has moved it to my top choice. Now I need to schedule an actual campus visit.

Congratulations on your acceptances! You're the PPIA fellow, right? 

Just now, RCtheSS said:

Yes, I am! PPIA 2013, to be exact. Are you also a PPIA alum?

I am! PPIA 2014. 

I was going to apply to graduate school this cycle but decided against it since I am not entirely sure of my commitment to doing a dual-degree program.

Best of luck choosing a program!

Just now, green_dots21 said:

I am! PPIA 2014. 

I was going to apply to graduate school this cycle but decided against it since I am not entirely sure of my commitment to doing a dual-degree program.

Best of luck choosing a program!

Please feel free to PM me if you ever have any grad school questions, or just want to shoot the shit. :lol:

I am all over the place...I have ruled out Boston College only because I am an undergrad at BC right now and just feel like I need a change. But BC is amazing--I'm super sad to leave. I've only heard good things about the BC program and BC itself is awesome! I have also ruled out Chicago because it's just so expensive--tuition, fees, and cost of living.

Right now WashU is a top choice. Pittsburgh is still on my radar. And I have a chance at getting a full ride to Case Western. If I get that, I will probably go to Case.

I am still waiting on scholarship info from UMichigan, but I don't think I'll go.

I have ruled out Boston University. They were my top school, but I did not get any finical aid or scholarships. As of right now, I am set on going to University of Illinois at Chicago. I have turned in my deposit and everything.  I am still waiting for their finical aid, but it is a public school and going to be cheaper than BU no matter what. 

I am still waiting to hear back from University of Denver. If I get significantly more funding then I will withdraw from UIC and go to DU. 

I'm headed to Pitt. I applied for a joint degree program (MPH/MSW) and got a good scholarship for the social work side. The public health program doesn't offer anything but loans, though, so I'm still looking at a pretty hefty price tag when considering the total cost of attendance.

I'm still torn between my choices. DU offered the most $$, but they're my 3rd choice and I feel that out of the three schools I was accepted to, U of Michigan would be the best fit. I interviewed for a GSSA position today, so if I get that, I'll hands down commit. Without that, my financial aid package isn't enough for me to go there, sadly. NYU offered a decent package but between the tuition and cost of living in NYC, I'm not sure I can afford it. 

This is tough. I'm really hoping for the GSSA position because I love U of M, the program is fantastic, and this position would be a good fit. 

I've all but locked down NYU. I'm still waiting on Columbia's financial aid package, and whether Hunter might give me an interview, but since I'll be living with relatives and NYU's financial aid package compared to Fordham's and Yeshiva's, it's a better program fit for me and was my first choice. The tuition still is pretty hefty, but I'm hoping that I'll get some work study and apply to more scholarships to help the costs.

I just got my email for my interview for Hunter today.  Was also accepted to NYU with a scholarship but still too expensive as I have undergraduate loans.  I was also accepted to Adelphi which is a small private university on Long Island that has a great program.  Waiting for my Hunter interview and will make a decision from there! 

On 2/26/2016 at 1:28 PM, BrendonSW said:

I'm still torn between my choices. DU offered the most $$, but they're my 3rd choice and I feel that out of the three schools I was accepted to, U of Michigan would be the best fit. I interviewed for a GSSA position today, so if I get that, I'll hands down commit. Without that, my financial aid package isn't enough for me to go there, sadly. NYU offered a decent package but between the tuition and cost of living in NYC, I'm not sure I can afford it. 

This is tough. I'm really hoping for the GSSA position because I love U of M, the program is fantastic, and this position would be a good fit. 

Congrats on all of the acceptances @BrendonSW you are certainly doing something right! 

I am regretting not being proactive about the GSSA positions at U-M. Honestly, I was so certain I wouldn't get in - such is life! Any insight into the interview or level of competitiveness? I am in the running for a similar position at another school and have no idea what to expect. What do you think they are most focused on when weighing grad assistant candidates?

I also was accepted to DU and it's definitely a really viable option and solid back-up plan. Actually Denver was just named the best city in america - http://www.cbsnews.com/news/best-cities-to-live-u-s-news-world-report-denver-first-place/. Not too shabby.

12 hours ago, ginalabarbera said:

I just got my email for my interview for Hunter today.  Was also accepted to NYU with a scholarship but still too expensive as I have undergraduate loans.  I was also accepted to Adelphi which is a small private university on Long Island that has a great program.  Waiting for my Hunter interview and will make a decision from there! 

Congratulations on your interview! When did you submit your application for Hunter? I'm still waiting to hear back from them, but I submitted at the beginning of February - so it might be a while still.

2 hours ago, BrendonSW said:

I'll message you @KatieJaiYen with some tips and advice for your interview. 

Brendon, can you also give me some tips on how to break the legs during the admissions interview? I have an interview with Columbia on March 11 at 10am. Though I am a domestic applicant, given that I earned my undergrad degree overseas, they want to make sure that I can communicate well.

1 hour ago, Opt4theBest said:

Brendon, can you also give me some tips on how to break the legs during the admissions interview? I have an interview with Columbia on March 11 at 10am. Though I am a domestic applicant, given that I earned my undergrad degree overseas, they want to make sure that I can communicate well.

I'll message you right now with some tips and advice for your interview. 

Congrats to everyone on their acceptances! I have been accepted to the University of Southern Illinois Edwardsville, and Missouri State. I haven't received the official paperwork for Mo. State in the mail (I was notified via email.) I'm hoping they will include some financial aid, because that would make the decision easier. It's hard to choose. 

20 hours ago, KatieJaiYen said:

Congrats on all of the acceptances @BrendonSW you are certainly doing something right! 

I am regretting not being proactive about the GSSA positions at U-M. Honestly, I was so certain I wouldn't get in - such is life! Any insight into the interview or level of competitiveness? I am in the running for a similar position at another school and have no idea what to expect. What do you think they are most focused on when weighing grad assistant candidates?

I also was accepted to DU and it's definitely a really viable option and solid back-up plan. Actually Denver was just named the best city in america - http://www.cbsnews.com/news/best-cities-to-live-u-s-news-world-report-denver-first-place/. Not too shabby.

I called the U Mich social work office a few days ago and asked about the special programs. The last priority submission deadline was March 1 but Michelle at the office said that the application due dates might be extended and that there were still slots available for all the programs (the last time I called was March 1, but applications are still being reviewed). She didn't mention which specific program deadlines would be extended, and couldn't guarantee that all the applications would be reviewed after March 1 but I recommend calling the contacts on any specific programs you're interested in and hopefully they'll still recommend you apply. Best of luck! 

On March 3, 2016 at 10:03 AM, Adrienne13 said:

Congratulations on your interview! When did you submit your application for Hunter? I'm still waiting to hear back from them, but I submitted at the beginning of February - so it might be a while still.

I submitted right in the beginning of February also, good luck! 

I'm pretty much committed to going to USC, especially because of the scholarship money I received. I won't have to come out of pocket at all so that is a win-win for me! Plus I really love their program.

I applied to the University of Minnesota and the University of Michigan and got into both! I'm waiting for financial aid to make my final decision. I'd love to go to Michigan but seeing as it's 3 times as expensive as Minnesota, it'd take a pretty hefty aid package for me to be able to go there. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2016 at 11:28 PM, BrendonSW said:

FYI - @ least in the college of education, if you get a GA, you lose your scholarship

@missgord Yes, that's correct. The GSSA position covers your full tuition and gives you a monthly stipend, though, making it very much worth it. I actually still haven't heard back regarding the position. I'm assuming no news is bad news, but you never know. :)