Fall 2016 Decisions - MSW (Masters in Social Work)

morningjunky

On 3/20/2016 at 7:40 PM, BrendonSW said:

@missgord Yes, that's correct. The GSSA position covers your full tuition and gives you a monthly stipend, though, making it very much worth it. I actually still haven't heard back regarding the position. I'm assuming no news is bad news, but you never know. :)

@BrendonSW are you sure that it covers full tuition or just 8 credits per quarter?  college of ed covers 8 credits per quarter with a full time GA. they consider 8 credits to be full time and require you to take at least 8 credits. however their courses range from 1-5 credit classes, and it's very difficult to take exactly 8 credits. some have cohort structures where they require you to take, for example, 12 credits per quarter. so you end up paying a LOT of money even with a "full time" GSSA.

DU has been VERY different from other schools in that regard. look into it to be sure. the funding structure is terrible.

also, if you're talking about michigan with the GSSA, then nevermind. i'm speaking about DU!

I have decided to attend Columbia for their advanced standing program. Good luck to everyone in making their final decisions :-) 

Edited by AMcCoy

Sent my "official admission" decision just an hour ago to UIUC's Graduate College..

I now need to schedule a doctors appointment to get my immunization sheet filled out. Other than that I'm waiting on my FAFSA for 2015-2016 (filled out really late) as well as for summer 2015.

19 hours ago, BrendonSW said:

I am officially attending the University of Michigan in the fall. :) Best of luck to y'all and hope to meet some of you at U-M! 

That's awesome, Brendon!  Now that the frantic applying/waiting/deciding is over, we can instead focus our anxieties on relocating and its accompanying social isolation, finding housing for less than $1200/month that isn't totally substandard (good luck with this one), and investing in winter gear for the brutual cold.  In all seriousness though, congratulations on having made a final decision!  See you there! B)

3 hours ago, ediblestranger said:

That's awesome, Brendon!  Now that the frantic applying/waiting/deciding is over, we can instead focus our anxieties on relocating and its accompanying social isolation, finding housing for less than $1200/month that isn't totally substandard (good luck with this one), and investing in winter gear for the brutual cold.  In all seriousness though, congratulations on having made a final decision!  See you there! B)

Haha I feel ya! $1200 is my housing budget, too, so I understand your struggle. Maybe we could message and discuss this? I'm having a difficult time. But seriously, I'm excited to be going and excited to meet you and whoever else goes!

On April 4, 2016 at 2:57 PM, AMcCoy said:

I have decided to attend Columbia for their advanced standing program. Good luck to everyone in making their final decisions :-) 

My friend is going to MSW at Columbia. have you found housing? @AMcCoy

16 hours ago, ediblestranger said:

13 hours ago, BrendonSW said:

Haha I feel ya! $1200 is my housing budget, too, so I understand your struggle. Maybe we could message and discuss this? I'm having a difficult time. But seriously, I'm excited to be going and excited to meet you and whoever else goes!

For winter gear, I HIGHLY recommend LL Bean! They are the best company and you cannot beat their products. Their boots, jackets, etc. are a little expensive, but they will actually last you a lifetime. I've been using the same LL bean backpack for 11 years. Not kidding. And I know this sounds like an ad, I'm just really passionate about this company haha! And I've lived in Boston for a lot of my life :)

^As a native Minnesotan, I second LL Bean! Super high quality. I can also not stress enough the importance of dressing in layers during the winter. 

I've officially enrolled at the University of Minnesota for this fall! I've started looking into field placements and I'm getting pretty excited.

Edited by StephMSW

I've decided on UW. I'm born and raised Seattle which should make me move out and do something different but... I love this city and it makes sense financially as I have a very reasonable landlord. On top of that, I cut my living expenses as my boyfriend now lives with me. I'm so excited to get started!!

19 hours ago, BrendonSW said:

I will PM you. :)

welp, I've put down my deposits for the University of Chicago. I've spent all week working up the confidence to say that I'm going there out loud when people ask me. :rolleyes:

Congratulations to everyone else making their decisions down to the wire!