Hunter Fall 2016

SW2016

I applied 11/20 and haven't heard anything. My application is listed as 'submitted' and 'completed' online.

Two friends applied last year and had interviews in March and April and said interviews are split according to concentration/practice method (clinical vs. macro). Both heard back about 1-2 weeks they were accepted after their interview. 

I submitted mine on 2/4.  A week later I got a phone call from them asking me to send another copy of my transcript.  My app now shows completed as of 2/18.  It seems like no one has heard any news yet.  Hunter is by far my top choice, so I hope we start to hear back soon.

On the results page, someone posted they were accepted today, 3/1 and was offered an interview on 2/27 for the clinical route. So they are beginning the process!

• Just checked website this afternoon and was accepted. Interviewed on Friday 2/27 for full-time, 2-year program, clinical track. Thrilled.

23 minutes ago, morningjunky said:

On the results page, someone posted they were accepted today, 3/1 and was offered an interview on 2/27 for the clinical route. So they are beginning the process!

• Just checked website this afternoon and was accepted. Interviewed on Friday 2/27 for full-time, 2-year program, clinical track. Thrilled.

I saw that as well but I am not sure if it's true. 2/27 is on a Saturday, not friday. But even if this person interviewed on Friday 2/26, would they receive a response in less than two days? Or is the admissions committee working on weekends to speed up the process considering they are behind all the other schools? And how come no one else has heard back yet or are all invited applicants not active on grad cafe? This is strange and I'm not sure what to believe. 

Hi everyone!

Just made an account to give you an update on Hunter:

I applied 2/5 and received an interview invitation on 2/19. I attended the group interview on 2/26 and just heard back with an acceptance yesterday, 3/1.

I hope this gives you some idea on how fast they review the information after you receive the interview invitation, I chose the earliest possible date I could attend in hopes that I would hear back sooner.

Good luck to everyone! i know how difficult it is to just wait around for a response.

54 minutes ago, G-MSW said:

Hi everyone!

I applied 2/5 and received an interview invitation on 2/19. I attended the group interview on 2/26 and just heard back with an acceptance yesterday, 3/1.

I hope this gives you some idea on how fast they review the information after you receive the interview invitation, I chose the earliest possible date I could attend in hopes that I would hear back sooner.

Good luck to everyone! i know how difficult it is to just wait around for a response.

Awesome! That was very quick. And you waited less than four weeks while some people have been waiting for 3-4 months now so I guess they are not going in the order that they received applications. 

But congrats! How was the interview? How many people did they interview? What were the questions they asked? Did you have to write something as well? About what? And do you have any tips for the rest of us on how to ace the interview? Thank you. Congratulations! 

1 hour ago, SW2016 said:

But congrats! How was the interview? How many people did they interview? What were the questions they asked? Did you have to write something as well? About what? And do you have any tips for the rest of us on how to ace the interview? Thank you. Congratulations! 

Thanks so much!

The interview process was not as stressful as you would think, I was the first to arrive and the girl at the front desk (she was a student enrolled in the one year program) was extremely welcoming and friendly which definitely helped me relax. There were 4 other people in my group which made it easy to take turns when answering the questions. It was very conversational and the interviewer was extremely laid back and kept it real with us. At first, you start by first introducing yourself and elaborating on your experience, she told us right off the bat that she wasn't interested in our personal experiences so I would recommend focusing on your professional/academic experiences when answering the questions.

The most important questions were "What would you do" sort of questions like "If you worked at a shelter and an intense storm hits, and a homeless person wants to come in but you were already to full capacity, would you let him in?"

She also asked about social identity and why you chose to be social worker. My biggest tip would be to be yourself, I think the interviewer appreciated my honest answers in addition to the way I was able to relate it back to my professional experiences. Don't be afraid to answer first! I would recommend jumping in there and being one of the first to answer questions (of course without cutting anyone off) in a respectful way, this is important to show you're able to carry a discussion in a productive way. Plus, if you always answer last, chances are everything you wanted to say has already been said. Also, keep eye contact not only with the interviewer but also the group, it just makes everyone else feel included (it is a group interview after all).

The writing portion was the last thing we did, they give you an article to read and respond to. I wouldn't worry too much about this, I'm pretty sure they just want to see that you can write coherently and answer the question. They only ask for 2 paragraphs so just stick to the main points and you should be good!

I hope this was helpful!

2 hours ago, G-MSW said:

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for all the helpful information, and congratulations on your acceptance!!  That's such great news.  I'm curious, which method did you apply for and was was everyone else at the interview applying for the same method?  Thanks again for your help.

1 hour ago, Jewelz423 said:

Thanks so much for all the helpful information, and congratulations on your acceptance!!  That's such great news.  I'm curious, which method did you apply for and was was everyone else at the interview applying for the same method?  Thanks again for your help.

Thank you! I'm glad I could help. I applied to the clinical practice method. I believe the rest of the group was applying for the same.

Ok, cool.  I applied for COP&D, so I was just curious.  I know that there are typically more applicants for clinical and that the interview, as someone else mentioned, is split by practice method, so my hunch is that they had to start going through the clinical apps right away, since there are more of them.  I could be wrong, but it might be why some people who applied way earlier have still not heard back.                      @G-MSW Thanks for the response, and congrats again!

Got an invitation for a group interview today. Clinical concentration. Going Wednesday. Hope to see some of you there. Yipppeeee!

Accepted at NYU and Fordham. Waiting Hunter and Lehman.

1 hour ago, callabyrdt said:

When you received your invitation, was it via email? Did anything change on your application?

Yup- it says submitted but pending interview just under it.

18 minutes ago, tudor3x8 said:

Yup- it says submitted but pending interview just under it.

Thanks! I wonder how long it takes for them to accept or reject your application. Right now, I feel a rejection coming on.

On March 4, 2016 at 11:21 AM, Jewelz423 said:

Ok, cool.  I applied for COP&D, so I was just curious.  I know that there are typically more applicants for clinical and that the interview, as someone else mentioned, is split by practice method, so my hunch is that they had to start going through the clinical apps right away, since there are more of them.  I could be wrong, but it might be why some people who applied way earlier have still not heard back.                      @G-MSW Thanks for the response, and congrats again!

I applied for COP&D as well. I think this concentration receives much less applicants as most social workers aim to be clinicians. I was lurking through past threads and it seems that late March/early April is the timeline for this concentration in terms of hearing either a rejection or an interview invite. I hope it's soon because this is my last school I am waiting on!

19 hours ago, morningjunky said:

I applied for COP&D as well. I think this concentration receives much less applicants as most social workers aim to be clinicians. I was lurking through past threads and it seems that late March/early April is the timeline for this concentration in terms of hearing either a rejection or an interview invite. I hope it's soon because this is my last school I am waiting on!

Cool!  Maybe we'll even end up at the interview together lol.  Yeah, I went to an info session and I think they said only about 15% of applicants apply for this concentration.  I hope it's soon too.  So many of the decisions/plans I have to make depend on whether I get into Hunter or not.  I'll keep you posted if I hear anything.