Hunter Fall 2016

SW2016

Has anyone who applied to the One Year Residency program hear back yet? I checked my status and received a Pending Program Decision update? Is this a good sign? Or a polite way of saying, "You have been rejected!"?

On 3/30/2016 at 2:53 PM, nameisheng said:

@alyssak112 I messaged them on their website to speak to their admission office. I got so tired of waiting. But they were able to tell me that i was still under consideration and later that day, my status was changed to pending interview. Good luck everyone!

Okay thanks! Did they email you as well?

Just wanted to post a quick update. Finally heard back for my two year application. My application was just changed to "pending interview," hopefully I'll be getting more information soon. Hopefully everyone else is also getting some feedback. 

As far as the interviews, can anyone who knows about them share some information? Like how formally do you have to dress? Business casual (pant suit and formal shirt) or full business suit (blazer too)? What kind of questions should we expect? Anything would be appreciated really. 

Best of luck everyone, and I'll post if I hear anything else =)

On 4/2/2016 at 10:57 PM, callabyrdt said:

Has anyone who applied to the One Year Residency program hear back yet? I checked my status and received a Pending Program Decision update? Is this a good sign? Or a polite way of saying, "You have been rejected!"?

Callabyrdt, as far as I've heard, that should be good news. It seems that Silberman has the majority of their students finish a interview before accepting them. I haven't really heard of too many cases where people are just accepted. 

Accepted my acceptance-- Anyone else going to be my classmate?

Also, I heard of *TWO* individual*S* of got accepted without an interview, didn't realized Hunter even did that. (This year - while they are still doing  interviews) 

*Edits*

Edited by HunterGirl
Actually heard of two people. So strange that they are still doing interviews tho

The facilitator at my interview did mention that sometimes exceptionally strong candidates are accepted without an interview, so it is possible.  It rarely happens, so if you are accepted without an interview you should be really proud!

@Verloren I posted a few days ago about my interview for the COPD program, maybe you'll find it helpful.  As for clothing, the email invitation for the interview said business casual.  I think a full business suit would be a little too formal.  Good luck!

3 hours ago, HunterGirl said:

Accepted my acceptance-- Anyone else going to be my classmate?

Also, I heard of *TWO* individual*S* of got accepted without an interview, didn't realized Hunter even did that. (This year - while they are still doing  interviews) 

*Edits*

2 hours ago, Jewelz423 said:

The facilitator at my interview did mention that sometimes exceptionally strong candidates are accepted without an interview, so it is possible.  It rarely happens, so if you are accepted without an interview you should be really proud!

@Verloren I posted a few days ago about my interview for the COPD program, maybe you'll find it helpful.  As for clothing, the email invitation for the interview said business casual.  I think a full business suit would be a little too formal.  Good luck!

I don't understand the whole idea behind the interview. If this were for a job then I would understand since you would want to know more about my skills, experiences, and perhaps ability to do my job etc.  However, in this case, I am applying to a university to get an education, why do they need to interview me beforehand? Do people no longer have the right to get an education from a public university if the interviewer doesn't like someone or agree with whatever they say? How is the interview even legal in the first place considering that the school is a federally funded public university and does not have the right to discriminate against students/applicants and/or violate their first amendments rights (which is what the school is essentially doing with the interview)?

Edited by SW2016

On 3/25/2016 at 8:58 AM, Jewelz423 said:

@morningjunky @BelleBoss @Adrienne13 I finally got invited for an interview yesterday! If you haven't heard anything yet, I'm sure you will soon. Good luck to us all! 

@Jewelz423 congratulations! Thanks for the intel about the interview, too. I still haven't heard back yet, but am hopeful I'll hear something soon!

On 4/2/2016 at 10:57 AM, alyssak112 said:

Okay thanks! Did they email you as well?

It took about 2-3 days after I messaged them to get an email about signing up for the interview dates!

Advice needed.  Completely screwed up the written portion of the hunter interview today.   Is there anything to be done here?  Call admissions?  Writing by hand for me is a challenge, and I ran out of space.  My type written work is fine(Im getting A's on my papers so I must be doing something right).  Thought I was in good shape up until then.

@Ellenesk I haven't gone, but I would assume that all you can really do is hope for the best. If there is a reason (like a physical condition or something they could have provided accommodations for) that you struggled with writing, you might be able to call and talk to them about that. However, if it's just the content that you struggled with (getting the ideas down or conciseness), there's not much to be done unfortunately. Hopefully it's not a big deal or not what they weigh most heavily, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

5 hours ago, Verloren said:

@Jewelz423 Thanks for the info!

And no idea if anyone was asking or anything, but they changed my status about two days after I contacted the admissions office about my application. I still haven't gotten a date yet, but I hope I find out soon. 

And best of luck @nameisheng!

What number did you call because I feel like I cannot get through to anyone.

4 hours ago, Verloren said:

@Ellenesk I haven't gone, but I would assume that all you can really do is hope for the best. If there is a reason (like a physical condition or something they could have provided accommodations for) that you struggled with writing, you might be able to call and talk to them about that. However, if it's just the content that you struggled with (getting the ideas down or conciseness), there's not much to be done unfortunately. Hopefully it's not a big deal or not what they weigh most heavily, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

If @Ellenesk is rejected based on the essay and/or interview alone, then Hunter Silberman School of Social Work certainly has a civil rights problem and should not be receiving any type of federal funding until they stop violating the rights of students. This is true regardless if it was because of a physical condition or other disability that Hunter should have provided accommodation for or if it was based on written/verbal content which is a free speech violation. Either way, the interview (as well as the writing sample) is unconstitutional as it violates the first amendment rights of applicants which is illegal especially since Hunter is a federal funded public university and does not have the right to violate the rights of applicant/students. @Ellenesk and anyone else rejected based on the interview and/or writing sample should file a civil rights lawsuit against Hunter (and any other cuny graduate program that conducts these unconstitutional interviews).

@SW2016 You make it sound like Hunter is discriminating people based on who they are their origins, (things people cannot control) rather than qualifications. It's true that not many social work programs require interviews, but it is certainly not unacceptable. After all, I work with a HS student who just went on several interviews just to get into college. Many SUNY schools (including the one I go to) has graduate programs which require interviews and additional information from applicants, it's more for the school to make sure that you are a good fit than to discriminate. 

Anyway, the goal of me replying to you was not to start a argument or anything. We obviously have different views on the matter. If you believe that you have been discriminated against or that something is going on, please, by all means report it. If something pans out, changes will happen. But I will say that both the therapist in charge of my local clinic and the coordinator of crisis services went through the same interview process when they applied over two decades ago. If you submit complaints, I wish you the best of luck and I hope you make the changes you want.

I just want to point out that the point of this thread, and of this forum in general, is to support and help students who are applying and who have questions. If you applied, I hope it goes well and that you get in, if not, I hope that you got into whatever you applied for. But please don't make this thread which is meant to help one another into a argument about why this process shouldn't be here since everyone on this thread obviously just wants to get some advice and support on how to get into Hunter in particular. 

Sorry if that was too lengthy, I ended up just typing my thoughts and not really going over it too much, hopefully it all made sense. 

Best of luck to everyone on here! 

1 hour ago, Verloren said:

@SW2016 You make it sound like Hunter is discriminating people based on who they are their origins, (things people cannot control) rather than qualifications. It's true that not many social work programs require interviews, but it is certainly not unacceptable. After all, I work with a HS student who just went on several interviews just to get into college. Many SUNY schools (including the one I go to) has graduate programs which require interviews and additional information from applicants, it's more for the school to make sure that you are a good fit than to discriminate. 

Anyway, the goal of me replying to you was not to start a argument or anything. We obviously have different views on the matter. If you believe that you have been discriminated against or that something is going on, please, by all means report it. If something pans out, changes will happen. But I will say that both the therapist in charge of my local clinic and the coordinator of crisis services went through the same interview process when they applied over two decades ago. If you submit complaints, I wish you the best of luck and I hope you make the changes you want.

I just want to point out that the point of this thread, and of this forum in general, is to support and help students who are applying and who have questions. If you applied, I hope it goes well and that you get in, if not, I hope that you got into whatever you applied for. But please don't make this thread which is meant to help one another into a argument about why this process shouldn't be here since everyone on this thread obviously just wants to get some advice and support on how to get into Hunter in particular. 

Sorry if that was too lengthy, I ended up just typing my thoughts and not really going over it too much, hopefully it all made sense. 

Best of luck to everyone on here! 

@Verloren Just because other schools interview, doesn't mean that it is right or constitutional. It is unconstitutional for federally funded public universities to violate the freedom of speech of applicants/students which is what the school is essentially doing by having the interview as they are monitoring the thoughts, opinions, etc of people and accepting/rejecting people based on that. You justify it by saying that the school conducts the interviews to determine if an applicant is a "good fit" for the program, what exactly does "good fit" mean when it comes to a federally funded, public university and how does the school determine that based on the interview/writing sample?

9 hours ago, callabyrdt said:

What number did you call because I feel like I cannot get through to anyone.

I actually used the email they had listed, I had a hard time getting through on the phone lines too

4 hours ago, Verloren said:

I actually used the email they had listed, I had a hard time getting through on the phone lines too

gradadmissions@hunter.cuny.edu ? I'm thinking about emailing as well. What did you say in the email - that you still haven't heard anything back yet and are wondering when to anticipate a notification? Thanks!!!

Submitted my application for the COP&D program 2/3, was completed 2/10 and didn't receive an email for an interview until 3/28. Now my interview is next week and I'm totally nervous! I'm definitely a bit more relaxed now after finding this forum and realizing they clump together interviews and COP&D is usually last. I was getting nervous that since I'm toward the end of interview days they might already have their selection of accepted applicants! Does anyone know if it goes the full 2 hours? Thanks!

I wish you all the best of luck! 

6 hours ago, BelleBoss said:

Should I be worried if I haven't heard anything at this point? I applied for the 2 yr full time COP&D. My application still says 'application completed.'

I am super worried because I applied to their OYR program and have not heard back from them and no one seems to be around to answer my questions.