Hunter Fall 2016

SW2016

I just got my acceptance email this morning!  I am beyond excited :D  

For those of you still waiting... I honestly wouldn't start to worry yet.  When I signed up for my interview day, I saw all of the options for dates and I'm pretty sure there have only been 5 or 6 group interviews for the COP&D program.  Even if they accept all of the students they interviewed so far, that still wouldn't be enough to fill the incoming class.  They just have a lot of applications to go through, and because of the interview it just adds extra time to the whole process.  Believe me, I know how frustrating it is having to wait so long, but don't despair!!

6 hours ago, BelleBoss said:

Should I be worried if I haven't heard anything at this point? I applied for the 2 yr full time COP&D. My application still says 'application completed.'

Don't be worried. Hunter is all over the place. I applied on 11/20, my application was complete that very same day a few hours later. However, my application just changed to 'pending interview' last Thursday 3/31, but 6 days later, I still haven't received an email to schedule my interview with them. I can only imagine how many interviews they must conduct for the MSW program since they receive well over 1,000 applications, but it's already April. I do wish they would be more open and receptive (I tried calling them several times to no avail). 

Edited by morningjunky

On 4/7/2016 at 8:14 AM, BelleBoss said:

Should I be worried if I haven't heard anything at this point? I applied for the 2 yr full time COP&D. My application still says 'application completed.'

@BelleBoss same here! I'll let you know if I hear anything this week.

On April 5, 2016 at 6:04 PM, Ellenesk said:

Advice needed.  Completely screwed up the written portion of the hunter interview today.   Is there anything to be done here?  Call admissions?  Writing by hand for me is a challenge, and I ran out of space.  My type written work is fine(Im getting A's on my papers so I must be doing something right).  Thought I was in good shape up until then.

In my opinion and through discussions with others who have interviewed, the written part of the interview might not matter for all too much. 

It was an incredibly challenging assignment and I noticed during the writing portion the interviewer was taking notes, it might just be the opportune time for the interviewer to write up their notes on the interviewees. 

I finally heard back from Hunter and was invited to an interview. I scheduled it for next week Friday :)

I am SUPER nervous. I want this so bad that I hope I don't f*ck it up.

3 hours ago, BelleBoss said:

I finally got a change on my application and it says 'pending program decision.' Don't know if that a good thing because people talk about getting 'pending interview?'

My application said that also and I harassed them via phone and email. Finally someone got back to me from their office and asked me a few questions over the phone. I applied for the OYR Clinical track program, but they felt my current job description did not match what I wanted to pursue. Fortunately, I was able to explain the situation, she pushed my application through, and that night I received an invitation for any interview.

It seems like the only way to get your stuff through is by harassing them lol

2 hours ago, callabyrdt said:

My application said that also and I harassed them via phone and email. Finally someone got back to me from their office and asked me a few questions over the phone. I applied for the OYR Clinical track program, but they felt my current job description did not match what I wanted to pursue. Fortunately, I was able to explain the situation, she pushed my application through, and that night I received an invitation for any interview.

It seems like the only way to get your stuff through is by harassing them lol

Yes, the only reason my application status changed this morning was because I emailed them yesterday! I don't have much experience either so I guessed thats why we're being looked over and left for last.

To people who applied to the two year clinical track program at Hunter, can students get accepted if their undergraduate GPA is lower than 3.4? What is the lowest GPA score accepted at this program? Also, do all applicants have to have field experience or does the  program accept people with no experience at all? If an applicant has a 3.1 undergraduate GPA and has no experience in the field then what are the chances of getting into the program?  

Hi everyone. I applied for the OYR Organizational & Management Method. I submitted my application on 2/3 and it was marked completed on 2/3 (they called me to verify one thing a few hours later and then confirmed that it was completed). I got an email regarding the interview on 3/9. Unfortunately, because the state was due to audit my program at work any day, I had to pick one of the latest dates available for the interview... so my interview date was 4/6. How soon after your interview did you get a decision? I'm really anxious... the interviewer said 10-14 days, possibly longer, but I'm hoping that the wait isn't that long! My application now says "Being Reviewed" as of this Monday (previously it was "Pending Interview"). I was the only person in my group interview there for OYR - everyone else had applied to the 2 year MSW program.

I had my interview at this week and would like to offer some advice.

Be prepared to answer how your decision to pursue social work connects to Hunter. The other questions were based on scenarios.

Answer all the questions honestly, I believe the interview is a way to see if YOU (the person) is a good fit for the program. Most of the questions were based on "how you would feel" or how you would handle particular situations.

The written portion was hard to prepare for and honestly I struggled. The article was long winded and beat around the bush. It was hard to grasp the topic and have a well written response in 40 minutes. 

Overall, the key is to be honest and yourself! 

Oh, the interviewer said within a week to 10 days we'll hear back! I'll continue patiently waiting hoping for the best!

@PatientlyWaiting what does it mean to be a good fit at Hunter School of Social Work and how is it determined? Is it based on the gpa and work experience or do they only determine good fit if you say the right things at the interview? What happens if a person has a low gpa (around 3.1-3.4) and little to no work experience, would the school still accept such a applicant if the interview goes well or would they not even invite this applicant to an interview?

39 minutes ago, livenlaf said:

@PatientlyWaiting what does it mean to be a good fit at Hunter School of Social Work and how is it determined? Is it based on the gpa and work experience or do they only determine good fit if you say the right things at the interview? What happens if a person has a low gpa (around 3.1-3.4) and little to no work experience, would the school still accept such a applicant if the interview goes well or would they not even invite this applicant to an interview?

I wish I could answer these questions based on facts and not my opinions. I would say a good fit is a person that is passionate about social work. I had a gpa in that range with little experience and was asked for an interview.

its hard to do extremely bad at the interview because it's based on yourself. If you submitted a strong application than everything will be okay.

dont lose hope. 

1 hour ago, PatientlyWaiting said:

I wish I could answer these questions based on facts and not my opinions. I would say a good fit is a person that is passionate about social work. I had a gpa in that range with little experience and was asked for an interview.

its hard to do extremely bad at the interview because it's based on yourself. If you submitted a strong application than everything will be okay.

dont lose hope. 

Thank you. It's just very frustration to hear everyone talk about being a good fit but not being able to explain how Hunter defines good fit. The entire admissions process is already so anxiety provoking that it doesn't help that this good fit mystery is so arbitrary and vague to the point where no one really knows what it really means. It would be great if everyone, especially accepted students, would post their stats and field experiences so that we would have some sort of idea what the program is looking for. 

Edited by livenlaf

On 4/13/2016 at 6:56 PM, livenlaf said:

btw, Hunter is known for being really disorganized. I feel bad for people who haven't heard yet and are wondering whether they should put down deposits for other schools in order to hold a place. don't give up hope, though. my friend who applied to the community organizing track just had his status changed yesterday to "pending interview." they may offer a great education at a relatively affordable price, but in terms of how they're run, they're part of a municipal bureaucracy. think "the post office."

1 hour ago, RachelNYC said:

btw, Hunter is known for being really disorganized. I feel bad for people who haven't heard yet and are wondering whether they should put down deposits for other schools in order to hold a place. don't give up hope, though. my friend who applied to the community organizing track just had his status changed yesterday to "pending interview." they may offer a great education at a relatively affordable price, but in terms of how they're run, they're part of a municipal bureaucracy. think "the post office."

Thank you @RachelNYC. So if it is a "post office" kind of place (lol), then what does it mean to  be a good fit? 

3 minutes ago, livenlaf said:

Thank you @RachelNYC. So if it is a "post office" kind of place (lol), then what does it mean to  be a good fit? 

@livenlaf I just finished my interview, and though I have not heard back, it seems that their interview process for a "good fit" is just to make sure you are going into the field for the right reason. If you are invited to a interview, I was told by the person doing our group interview that none of of us were competing for a spot and that we were just reaffirming our positions.

Nothing during the interview was really anything that should not have been discussed in your personal statement imo, and I think it's just their way of making sure that you know what you're getting into and that you seem passionate about it. 

Totally agree about the disorganization, at least in terms of admissions office. And when I signed up for the interview, they had dates all the way to the end of april, with multiple interviews some days, so don't lose hope!

24 minutes ago, Verloren said:

@livenlaf I just finished my interview, and though I have not heard back, it seems that their interview process for a "good fit" is just to make sure you are going into the field for the right reason. If you are invited to a interview, I was told by the person doing our group interview that none of of us were competing for a spot and that we were just reaffirming our positions.

Nothing during the interview was really anything that should not have been discussed in your personal statement imo, and I think it's just their way of making sure that you know what you're getting into and that you seem passionate about it. 

Totally agree about the disorganization, at least in terms of admissions office. And when I signed up for the interview, they had dates all the way to the end of april, with multiple interviews some days, so don't lose hope!

@Verloren thank you. Your interviewer said that applicants invited to the interview are not competing for spots but are just reaffirming their positions (about what they wrote in the personal statement). Does that mean that the program could potentially accept every single person they are interviewing? And if applicants are just reaffirming what they wrote in their personal statement then does the interviewer have different questions for every applicant or do all applicants get the same questions? And why would they reject so many people if they have room to accept everyone that attends the interviews? Otherwise, what does it mean that applicants are not competing for a spot in the program?

Also, what type of questions did you have to answer? What is your undergraduate gpa and do you have field experience and did everyone at your interview have experience as well?

Edited by livenlaf

Just now, livenlaf said:

@Verloren thank you. Your interviewer said that applicants invited to the interview are not competing for spots but are just reaffirming their positions (about what they wrote in the personal statement). Does that mean that the program could potentially accept every single person they are interviewing? And if applicants are just reaffirming what they wrote in their personal statement then does the interviewer have different questions for every applicant or do all applicants get the same questions? And why would they reject so many people if they have room to accept everyone that attends the interviews? If not, then what does it mean that applicants are not competing for a spot in the program?

Also, what type of questions did you have to answer? What is your undergraduate gpa and do you have field experience and did everyone at your interview have experience as well?

@livenlafWell, it was a group interview, so it was really conversational. Some people chose to answer almost all the questions, and some just one or two. I don't know for sure that they would accept everyone, but that's what I was told, it made me feel better about the interview itself at any rate. However, I do think that if you are invited, you should just try to be yourself, the interviewers work really hard to make sure that some tension is diffused and the lack of expectations of any specific answer probably helped. They really just want to know how you think and to make sure that you're open to the experiences you will be facing in field placement since from the start, you will be faced with a caseload and a unknown agency/situation.

Question wise, I think the biggest question that the person interviewing our cared about was "why social work." They did ask why hunter as well, but honestly most of us gave fairly generic answers and they seemed fine with that (many of us were honest and just admitted that it was due to the location). Other than that, there might a scenario where they want to know your thoughts about how you might react or what thoughts go through your head with a difficult client, but I really think they meant it when they said there's no right answer (they just want to know why you might pick what you do and I think they're just looking to see if you are open to different people). My group was really varied in the way we chose to approach those questions. The writing thing was probably the most stressful, just because they purposefully pick a journal article that is long winded and beats around the bush, but as long as you can understand the main point, you should be fine (you only need to write two paragraphs). 

19 minutes ago, Verloren said:

@livenlafWell, it was a group interview, so it was really conversational. Some people chose to answer almost all the questions, and some just one or two. I don't know for sure that they would accept everyone, but that's what I was told, it made me feel better about the interview itself at any rate. However, I do think that if you are invited, you should just try to be yourself, the interviewers work really hard to make sure that some tension is diffused and the lack of expectations of any specific answer probably helped. They really just want to know how you think and to make sure that you're open to the experiences you will be facing in field placement since from the start, you will be faced with a caseload and a unknown agency/situation.

Question wise, I think the biggest question that the person interviewing our cared about was "why social work." They did ask why hunter as well, but honestly most of us gave fairly generic answers and they seemed fine with that (many of us were honest and just admitted that it was due to the location). Other than that, there might a scenario where they want to know your thoughts about how you might react or what thoughts go through your head with a difficult client, but I really think they meant it when they said there's no right answer (they just want to know why you might pick what you do and I think they're just looking to see if you are open to different people). My group was really varied in the way we chose to approach those questions. The writing thing was probably the most stressful, just because they purposefully pick a journal article that is long winded and beats around the bush, but as long as you can understand the main point, you should be fine (you only need to write two paragraphs). 

@Verloren this doesn't make sense to me. What's the point of inviting applicants for an interview if they are not expected to answer all the questions? Does it depend on the interviewer you get and how they choose to conduct the interview or do all interviewers conduct the interview in the same manner?  And why do they bother having interviews if they are just going to accept all the invited applicants anyway regardless of what happens at the interview?

14 hours ago, livenlaf said:

@Verloren this doesn't make sense to me. What's the point of inviting applicants for an interview if they are not expected to answer all the questions? Does it depend on the interviewer you get and how they choose to conduct the interview or do all interviewers conduct the interview in the same manner?  And why do they bother having interviews if they are just going to accept all the invited applicants anyway regardless of what happens at the interview?

@livenlaf I wish I could give a more concrete answer but I only went to one interview. No idea if it depends on the interviewer, but I assume there has to be a guideline so it's fair. 

And I didn't say you aren't expected to answer, I said you don't have to answer. I'm sure answering more questions helps them get a better sense of who you are as a person. And though I do believe the interviewer when she said it was to affirm our spots, I'm sure there are people who do get rejected after the interview because they decide that they might not be able to deal with the program due to their answers. For example, if you write a good statement, but then you go into the interview and give a very generic answer of why you are going into social work (helping people, and nothing to back that up), they might feel that you don't know what you're getting into or something. I'm rambling, but my goal is something along the lines of they want to know you are prepared to deal with the mental and educational stress that being a social worker requires. (After all, all of us know someone who wants to go into a profession for the wrong reason, like being a doctor for the money, and that never ends well).

I hope I helped, if not, feel free to ask me about specifics, but that's the gist of what I got out of my own personal experience so far. Just keep in my mind that my experience does not mean everyone went through the same thing, or that I even got in (I'm still waiting a decision). =)

Just wanted to post that I just got my acceptance email! I'm so excited!!  I still have not made a final decision (got into a few others as well) as I would have to move to the city and uproot my entire life, but chances are I will end up accepting. For those who are still waiting, he process really speeds up once you are invited, before that it's a mess. 

Hey Everyone,

So sorry for spamming the board a little! I know this is probably not the right place, but if anyone knows anything or can point me in the right direction, it would be great!

Does anyone know anyone whose entering the program and is also going to be looking for a place to stay/housemates? I live way too far from the city now so I'm going to have to move there for the program and don't really know anyone. I've been looking on craigslist, but I think we all know how sketchy those can be at times. It would be awesome to be able to share with someone in the same program. And we could totally chat for a while to make sure we're a good fit before anything if anyone has ideas.

Again, sorry for the many posts! Let me know if anyone has questions about the application or the program. My friend just heard back friday, so don't lose hope! Best of luck to everyone!! =)

On 4/16/2016 at 8:03 PM, Verloren said:

Just wanted to post that I just got my acceptance email! I'm so excited!!  I still have not made a final decision (got into a few others as well) as I would have to move to the city and uproot my entire life, but chances are I will end up accepting. For those who are still waiting, he process really speeds up once you are invited, before that it's a mess. 

Congratulations! I go in on Friday for my interview, so I am happy to read that the process speeds up after the interview. Good luck with everything, hopefully we'll be in the same class :)