Hunter Fall 2016

SW2016

Hi everyone,

I have my interview tomorrow for the COPD program and I am so grateful that I found this site! It has helped settle my nerves a bit and given me a lot of great advice. There doesn't seem to be a lot of COPD applicants in here, but if you are out there, best of luck to all of you.  Well, best of luck to everyone, really. It seems like the COPD group interview is different than the clinical interviews. Does anyone have any more details about their experiences to share? I am so curious.

Thanks!!

4 hours ago, KateIANA said:

Hi everyone,

I have my interview tomorrow for the COPD program and I am so grateful that I found this site! It has helped settle my nerves a bit and given me a lot of great advice. There doesn't seem to be a lot of COPD applicants in here, but if you are out there, best of luck to all of you.  Well, best of luck to everyone, really. It seems like the COPD group interview is different than the clinical interviews. Does anyone have any more details about their experiences to share? I am so curious.

Thanks!!

@KateIANA ! I recently had a COPD interview a week or two ago and I'd be glad to share my experience! Just like everyone else, I had about 5 other people interviewing in my group. At the beginning we introduced ourselves and talked about what we were currently doing. I was grouped with a lot of experienced people and was the only current student, so while they talked about their social-work related occupations, I talked about my life at school and a previous internship that was related to the field. The next question involved why social work, specifically community based social work, and what experience has led you to this decision. Lastly, she asked us about a recent mistake we made and how we learned from it. That question was definitely interesting and led a lot of us to think about it A LOT!  Overall, it was very relaxing. I really don't think there are a lot of COPD applicants, so I guess that lessened the stress for me. The interviewer was also very nice and comforting. Some tips: I would definitely talk to the other applicants before your interview so you get more comfortable! Also, don't stress too much! You'll do great! Good luck! After, they told us it would be 3-4 weeks to get back an answer, instead it took 5 days! The process definitely speeds up after the interview!

I had my COPD interview yesterday! My group had 8 other people in it, and before we went into the interview room we were asked to introduce ourselves to make things less awkward. It really helped! Once we went into the room, we began by going around the circle introducing ourselves. We were asked to share our name, why we chose social work, why Community Organizing, Planning & Development, and why Hunter. Then we were asked to discuss a time when we felt vulnerable and sought help from someone else. The interviewer asked about qualities social workers should have, but this was a voluntary question that some chose not to answer. The interviewer then opened up the floor to any questions we had about the program, which she answered for us. Finally, we were asked to do the typical 1 minute "Why should we accept you?" thing. After the questions, we were given unlimited time to read a 2 page article and write 1-2 paragraphs (1 page) about the social welfare implications.

Overall, the interview seemed very comfortable and easygoing. The interviewer did seem a bit abrupt and seemed to have certain answers in mind when she asked questions. A few times, she warned interviewees to get back to the question and not stray away. She asked lots of follow up questions, but they were very straightforward and relatively easy to answer. Just be honest and relax!

@PatientlyWaiting

wait, wait, you interviewed last wednesday? As in on the 13th? I interviewed then too! Were you in the 12-2pm timeslot? Haha, sorry I'm getting so excited over this. It would be so cool to have met someone already though cause everyone there that day was awesome.

I just completed my interview an hour and a half ago and now i'm back to freaking out. I definitely left the room feeling like I left an impression. Good luck to everyone who interviewed this week :)

I interviewed April 6th. On Monday the 18th I was told that my application was reviewed but that the chair of the OML Method needs to provide feedback on next steps. I still haven't heard anything... I applied for One Year Residency - Organizational Management & Leadership Method. After our interview, we were told that we would hear back within 10-14 days but it seems like a lot of people are hearing back sooner and I'm almost at the 14 day mark. I'm getting nervous. She said in the email "thank you for your patience" so I don't want to bother her again, but it seems like there are so many levels of review and I just didn't expect all of this. Do you think reaching out to her again on Monday would be okay?

Thanks everyone and congratulations to those of you who have received your acceptance!

Just an updated...I was accepted into the OYR program a few hours ago. I interviewed on Friday and found out on Monday. Super excited! Now I can finally breathe. Good luck to everyone!

On May 2, 2016 at 2:20 PM, Ellenesk said:

I interviewd the first week in April and have not heard back.  Am debating what I should do?  Call, email?

I would try to both call and email.

On 5/2/2016 at 2:20 PM, Ellenesk said:

I interviewd the first week in April and have not heard back.  Am debating what I should do?  Call, email?

Email Juan Santiago at jasanti@hunter.cuny.edu and explain/ask him if he can provide any information as to when you should hear. Also call him at 212-396-7629. The best way to push your application along is to do both!!

• 2 weeks later...

I interviewed last Tuesday, received my final decision the next day and I was accepted!!! I for sure want to go there but I'm getting kind of anxious because I still haven't gotten the letter in the mail they said they would send out. How long did it take people to receive theirs?

3 hours ago, Dannie820 said:

I interviewed last Tuesday, received my final decision the next day and I was accepted!!! I for sure want to go there but I'm getting kind of anxious because I still haven't gotten the letter in the mail they said they would send out. How long did it take people to receive theirs?

It took a week or two to get the letter in the mail. I would be prepared to send out all the accompanying material as soon as you can ( Deposit and so on) 

• 3 weeks later...
On May 17, 2016 at 8:48 PM, HunterGirl said:

It took a week or two to get the letter in the mail. I would be prepared to send out all the accompanying material as soon as you can ( Deposit and so on) 

Wow i just saw this, I sent out my deposit and final transcript, i still need to send my immunizations. I feel like I can never get in contact with their office though. I signed up for the June 9th pre-orientation and I'm not really sure what to expect. I also want to know when we schedule classes and stuff. I don't know I just feel like there is a lack of communication 

Hey all - putting this out there in case anyone else still checks this. I still haven't heard back either way (I applied to the COP&D track, before the deadline, had my phone interview in may). Is there anyone else out there who still hasn't heard back? I'm extremely nervous/confused about why this might be happening, and haven't been able to get much assistance from the staff when I email/call.