UIC 2016

jmh2116

17 hours ago, UrbanMidwest said:

Any word yet?

No :(. I'm getting worried now. Still debating on what I'm going to do if I don't get in. Take a year and apply to more programs, or go to DePaul and pay double the tuition.

did they give you a date to accept by? I'm wondering if after a certain date they send out more admits after receiving decisions.

Edited by Lblatz

@Lblatz On my acceptance letter it said I had up until April 27th to notify them of my decision.

I understand your anxiety.  If I were faced with your dilemma, I personally wouldn't attend DePaul due to the cost unless an assistantship was a possible reality second year. Social work doesn't pay much so going into massive debt is a heavy stone to swallow. As I said in another thread a MSW ROI is the opposite of a prestigious JD or MBA degree, or even medical. Then again, if you like the program and its faculty, it might ease the idea of paying so much. From what I've read there seems to be a few happy graduates that have risen to leadership roles within the state, but that sorta is par for the course for every other decent MSW program.

If UIC doesn't work out I'd say wait a year, work and save money. If you believe that UIC is the program that's right for you, at a price that you're willing to pay, then wait a year and re-apply. It's one year -- you may conclude that a MSW is the right professional degree for you or you might realize it's not.

EDIT: I see you're from Chicago. I am too. The weather lately has been a bi-polar mess.

Edited by UrbanMidwest

I'm in a similar situation. I've been accepted to MSW program at a private university but I CANNOT afford it. I am banking on acceptance from UIC. If not I'll just have to wait another year and try again.

It's been about fifteen weeks since I submitted the application with all supplemental materials & all LORs. It's been about eight weeks since all items were "verified as correct", and about six weeks since my application was submitted for review. It never occurred to me that it would take this long!

I've been creeping all over the internet,and have been getting so anxious as I see individuals post about their acceptance. At this point I'd like to just hear SOMETHING. The waiting game is driving me up the wall.

16 hours ago, socialjusticemsw said:

I'm in a similar situation. I've been accepted to MSW program at a private university but I CANNOT afford it. I am banking on acceptance from UIC. If not I'll just have to wait another year and try again.

It's been about fifteen weeks since I submitted the application with all supplemental materials & all LORs. It's been about eight weeks since all items were "verified as correct", and about six weeks since my application was submitted for review. It never occurred to me that it would take this long!

I've been creeping all over the internet,and have been getting so anxious as I see individuals post about their acceptance. At this point I'd like to just hear SOMETHING. The waiting game is driving me up the wall.

I'm in the exact same situation. Can't take the waiting any longer! Submitted my application back in November, and all of my credentials have been verified as cleared/correct since mid-March. Haven't heard anything regarding an interview or even a change in status (still "Referred to the Program"). Hoping to hear something soon! 

I emailed the admissions office last week. She said "a decision should be made on your application by the middle of April." What they deem to be the middle of April is up for question but hopefully we will all hear soon! I'm hoping to hear by Friday, as I have to accept/reject another school by the 15th. 

She also said I would receive a decision via email, so maybe they've nixed the snail mail.

Edited by jmh2116

7 hours ago, jmh2116 said:

I emailed the admissions office last week. She said "a decision should be made on your application by the middle of April." What they deem to be the middle of April is up for question but hopefully we will all hear soon! I'm hoping to hear by Friday, as I have to accept/reject another school by the 15th. 

She also said I would receive a decision via email, so maybe they've nixed the snail mail.

So it looks like I can stop running to the mailbox when I get home from work. Now I can just continually refresh my email.

thanks for letting us know! 

On April 6, 2016 at 4:51 PM, UrbanMidwest said:

@Lblatz On my acceptance letter it said I had up until April 27th to notify them of my decision.

I understand your anxiety.  If I were faced with your dilemma, I personally wouldn't attend DePaul due to the cost unless an assistantship was a possible reality second year. Social work doesn't pay much so going into massive debt is a heavy stone to swallow. As I said in another thread a MSW ROI is the opposite of a prestigious JD or MBA degree, or even medical. Then again, if you like the program and its faculty, it might ease the idea of paying so much. From what I've read there seems to be a few happy graduates that have risen to leadership roles within the state, but that sorta is par for the course for every other decent MSW program.

If UIC doesn't work out I'd say wait a year, work and save money. If you believe that UIC is the program that's right for you, at a price that you're willing to pay, then wait a year and re-apply. It's one year -- you may conclude that a MSW is the right professional degree for you or you might realize it's not.

EDIT: I see you're from Chicago. I am too. The weather lately has been a bi-polar mess.

Yes, I am from Chicago but it looks like this weekend we will see some spring! 

Still no word yet. I'm really going crazy. 

22 hours ago, Lblatz said:

You should probably call, not giving two sh*ts about their no-call policy. It makes no sense that all my material was submitted a handful of days after yours yet I receive my decision and you haven't.

Would anyone who has been accepted as an out of state student mind sharing the funding that UIC offered? I am interested in applying at UIC (next application season) but I am from out of state, and worry that it would be a waste of time considering that I would not get the cheaper in-state tuition price, and since its public the school may not be able to offer me much funding compared to a private school.

On 4/20/2016 at 1:29 PM, socialjusticemsw said:

Any news? I called admissions and they stated something like "We are committed reviewing and sending responses via email regarding admission by the end of April..."

I received my admissions statement on 4/20! So they are actually reviewing them contrary to what it seems haha. 

• 1 month later...

My application is still "under review" . I called yesterday and spoke to admissions: they let me know that my file had yet to be reviewed.  (Saturday will mark 6 months' since my application was complete, and was submitted for review).

It begs the question: how do they select who they review? It is clear to me that they are not going in order that applications were received).

I can't help but feel a bit miffed. My heart was set on this program.

Meanwhile I was accepted into another grad school and have accepted their offer- who knows when UIC will review my application and I can't afford to risk the opportunity in another program.

News from anyone else?

On April 6, 2016 at 4:51 PM, UrbanMidwest said:

I called again today.... Spoke to a man today instead of the woman who answered the other times. He asked my name and set the phone down and found my application. He confirmed that I applied for the MSW/MPH program. He said that I would have an email by the end of the day (this was about noon). Then he asked me if I had any questions about the program and even forwarded me to the voicemail of the liaison of the dual program. The way he was talking to me about research opportunities and the program made me think my acceptance was right in front of him, he just couldn't say anything. 

Now it's 5pm and I have no email. Of course this would be a long weekend as well. Literally got my hopes skyrocketed and now I'm waiting again. 

Update- I got in! I got an email at 6pm offering me admissions to the full-time MPH-MSW joint degree program. I'm so relieved. No more refreshing pages and obsessively checking my email. 

17 hours ago, Lblatz said:

Update- I got in! I got an email at 6pm offering me admissions to the full-time MPH-MSW joint degree program. I'm so relieved. No more refreshing pages and obsessively checking my email. 

Awesome! And yes, finally!