UVA Accepted Students 2016

Hey guys, thought I'd start an official thread for everyone who's been accepted to UVA's program for Fall 2016 since unofficial acceptances came out tonight! Congrats to everyone! Does anyone know if there's a facebook page yet?

• 2 weeks later...

anyone else going to the accepted students day next weekend; or know if we'll be able to meet current faculty and students during it?

I think I read about the accepted students day on one of the first emails I got from the program notifying me of my acceptance and the webinars..it is next friday from 1-2:30

@chg38 I went to the student's day at UVA a week or maybe two weeks ago, I don't remember the actual date. You got to meet one faculty member who gave you the little introduction (ours was with Filip Loncke) and then you met two current students that gave you a tour. But that was all. As for funding, no I haven't gotten an email yet either. Randall Robey said he was going to email us this past Monday but hasn't yet, though then again I know his aunt just died or something so I think that's why it's taking so long.

@hannahp15 The building we'll be working in and taking classes in is in a really nice area and really well-designed and clean on the inside as well. It definitely seems like a legitimate workplace as opposed to some other tours I've been on where their clinic areas are very obviously just for practicing students. UVA is in a really nice area out in the country more but it's also very preppy, so if you don't like that UVA might not be for you. The people running the tour weren't the best, but I think that's mainly because the guy who was supposed to be running the tour had an emergency so there was some scrambling to find a replacement for him. All the students seemed very nice and well-put-together so the program overall had a very professional vibe.

did anyone else get the email today from Dr. Robey? I'm hoping to make a decision within the next few days, but now i'm worried the cohort is too big and they won't be able to provide everyone with quality external placements....anyone else concerned about this/reconsidering? 

18 hours ago, chg38 said:

did anyone else get the email today from Dr. Robey? I'm hoping to make a decision within the next few days, but now i'm worried the cohort is too big and they won't be able to provide everyone with quality external placements....anyone else concerned about this/reconsidering? 

I got the email from Dr. Robey too.  I've emailed him back and asked what "considerable distances away from Charlottesville" actually means.  I also asked about how it will affect GA positions - I really want one of those.  Will let you know what I hear back 

@RMott

This is the email:

"I’m writing today to communicate important information -- so that you are fully informed as you make your grad school selection. The positive responses to our invitations have been unusually robust this year.  In fact, we just surged well past our target enrollment number for the 2016 incoming class. We will, of course, honor all invitations that are in effect through April 15.  However, in the sense of full disclosure, further additions to the already large 2016 cohort will mean placing clinical externs in schools and hospitals at considerable distances away from Charlottesville. This note is just to be completely forthright, transparent, timely, and informative in communicating with you about our current status as you are making your final selection of a grad school. We will close the admissions process after 4/15."

I am pretty sure I am still going to accept my invitation but what does everyone think about this? I emailed Dr. Robey and he said the cohort size is currently in the mid thirties. I feel like the large size will only be a real downside in terms of externship placement, but other than that I'm not sure it's going to make me not want to accept my offer.

@asmallfish did you hear anything back from Dr. Robey? i emailed him a few days ago and haven't heard anything yet

On April 7, 2016 at 10:22 AM, asmallfish said:

I got the email from Dr. Robey too.  I've emailed him back and asked what "considerable distances away from Charlottesville" actually means.  I also asked about how it will affect GA positions - I really want one of those.  Will let you know what I hear back 

@chg38 he did email me back, but didn't mention the externship situation. He said "Our financial support budget is capped, so we won’t support as many students."  <- regarding the GA positions

I went to the visitation that was scheduled for April 8th, and I heard from the current students that the class size is around 40 students. Dr. Loncke talked a little bit about externships as well. He said that generally you have your externship two days a week and you won't have classes on those days. So even if the externship is far, we wouldn't have to rush back to campus for class. I'm still likely going to accept too. 

Edited by asmallfish

@hannahp15 Thanks for sending me the email! Yeah I don't think the larger class size will really make that huge of a difference and I honestly feel like if you want to go to UVA you shouldn't let a larger class size get in your way. UVA is such a good program that it'll probably be worth it in my opinion. I also agree with what @asmallfish said where either way you have to drive to the externship and you don't have classes those days. Plus, I'm from Virginia (I don't know if you guys are or not) and there are tons of cities around Charlottesville so when he says considerable distance the farthest you'd probably have to go is and hour and a half away, and that's probably the worst case scenario.

Has anyone been in contact with their undergrad advisors regarding the enrollment jump? When I emailed mine he said that was a major concern-that it will be more competitive for our placements and that faculty will not be able to give us all attention.. 

ETA: Aaaaand Dr Robey wrote most of this in an email today. ?

I was chatting w the current first years today, and I thought I would share that the class consists of 53 people! They also mentioned that the quarters (like the grad study space/clinic) are going to be be tight, as they're already crowded and the current first year cohort is only 18 students. 

I've also learned they may be moving up to 3 classes to the evening, after the clinic closes at 7pm, bc it will be hard for the clinic to operate with the entire cohort in class.

I was speaking with one of the professors, and they strongly suggested deferring, but I'm a mature student, so that's not in the cards for me! But they are aware that managing things like office hours is definitely going be a challenge. 

Also, the Facebook will be up soon! Hope this is helpful info, all ?

Edited by redisbest
clarity. Update.

Is the current cohort 18 track 1 or 18 people total? Are all the professors advising students defer a year? Seriously reconsidering my commitment to UVA 

There are 18 current first year students, I believe 10 track 1 & 8 track 2.

I've recently spoken to Dr Robey & several professors, and only 1 prof. mentioned deferring, but did say to strongly consider. The message w that they would gladly hold a place in the following cohort.

It is definitely going to be a challenge in some respects, but they didn't want to reverse any acceptances.