Funding Doc for Art History

mxborder

Would anyone here be interested in having/contributing to an art history specific funding doc, similar to what people in English lit have done here?

Personally, I had no idea what I could expect in terms of funding when I was applying to schools.  I think if people had a better sense of what schools were offering, it could help future applicants plan accordingly, or even save on application fees if they knew beforehand a school just couldn’t meet their needs. While “follow the money” may not be universally true advice, financial considerations when selecting schools are something to be taken seriously, especially for people moving with spouses or families.

I’m also imagining this could be helpful for people on waitlists who might want a sense of what a potential funding package could look like when weighing it with other options.

Lastly, as someone very interested in labor equity, organizing, and activism, perhaps transparency in this area could empower students to advocate for better compensation in programs where it is lacking. A few years ago a sit-in at the University of Houston was effective in raising the graduate student compensation for English PhDs from 9k to a “living wage,” with the chancellor pledging $1 million to go towards increased stipends. Similarly, students at UW-Madison, U Missouri, and others have recently organized for livable stipends.

I’m very grateful for the funding packages that I’ve been able to secure, and I hope this doesn’t come as rabblerousing OR money-grabbing. On the contrary, I’m hoping that sharing the few data points I’ve gained in the process could be of benefit to someone else, and if there was a critical mass of participation, could give a clear and transparent picture of the field at large, and the financial considerations one would have to make to attend graduate school.

I’m happy to start the doc, if people think this is a good idea/beneficial/would contribute.  

I would be willing to contribute to this!

1 hour ago, jujujudadada said:

Also, I have a question: Are PhD stipends taxable? If yes, how much tax is usually applied to the stipend? Does international students pay as much tax as U.S. citizens?

This is what BU has to say in terms of taxes on stipend. This probably varies but I believe graduate school websites usually outline these.

The portion of financial aid that exceeds the expense of tuition, books, and fees maybe subject to income tax.
For U.S. citizens and permanent residents, this stipend is not subject to tax withholding by the University; however, it is your responsibility to report it accurately to the IRS and make payments on the taxable portion of your award.
For international students, your stipend will have a taxation rate of 14% unless you are claiming exempt under a tax treaty.

On 3/3/2016 at 4:25 PM, jujujudadada said:

I think this would be very helpful and would like to contribute!

Also, I have a question: Are PhD stipends taxable? If yes, how much tax is usually applied to the stipend? Does international students pay as much tax as U.S. citizens? 

Yes they are taxable. The rate varies by state and residency. You need to check to see whether or not your school deducts taxes from your stipend. If they don't you will need to declare the stipend amount as "other income" when you file your taxes. There will be someone at your university who can work with you on this. 

• 6 months later...

This is pretty discouraging. People keep asking me to apply to PhD programs but I can't make financial sense of it, among other contemplations. After taxes it seems virtually impossible to surirve where I'm from, especially with previous student loans. And this is coming from a person who is great at pinching pennies.

Edited by GhostsBeforeBreakfast

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...

It is my understanding that there are basically two types of funding: (a) where everyone gets admitted with the same package and (b) where everyone gets different packages. Besides the few places that give everyone the same package (and its pretty clearly stated on the websites of the respective programs), there's really no way of knowing what your package will be until you are admitted and one is given to you. Once you have a package, you can feel free to talk to the program about how it might compare with other offers (I bartered for another summer research allotment). I'm sure there are going to be many out there who disagree with me, but I wouldn't let a funding discourage you from applying to a place (many rumors can be false). If a place or person is a good match, then apply! And see when you get admitted if they offer you something decent. 

While I partly agree with you, I also think it's important to both update and circulate this document. Transparency is important, and it's unethical (IMO) for Ph.D. programs in the Humanities to take students and NOT fully fund them.

For example: it's helpful for me to know what other candidates have been awarded in their 5th, 6th, and (gasp) 7th years. I also find it interesting that some programs do not include a teaching component as part of their stipend/fellowship awards, but shell out way more money than other "competitive" private institutions. These are factors that heavily influenced my decision on where to apply. 

To be competitive for a job and for future external grants, you probably shouldn't be relying on university funding to get you through your final year or two in the program....

Also, many thanks to whoever had the brilliant idea to organization this document.

Edited by mrssalad

Setting aside PhDs, I think this doc is also a great resource for people to find funded MA programs, which are few and far between. And, I don’t see why people can’t want some funding for their later PhD years and also not get external funding. It doesn’t have to be so black and white, and I think the more transparency we can build surrounding the realities of being an art history grad student, the better

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
On 1/15/2018 at 4:11 PM, trewq said:

Once more, "bumping" this thread since we are in the beginning of a new round of admissions and financial packages for the 2018-2019 year. :)

Please update and add to the data already accumulated here: Art History Funding Packages

It's that time of the year again--acceptances and funding packages! Please feel to contribute to this doc.

• 1 month later...

@serendipity17

I don't know who did that or why, but I just restored a previous version. That might mean some of the most recent entries were lost, but at least the bulk of them are back now. 

To whoever deleted the entries...please don't? 

Edited by mxborder

• 10 months later...

On 3/10/2019 at 1:35 PM, mxborder said:

@serendipity17

I don't know who did that or why, but I just restored a previous version. That might mean some of the most recent entries were lost, but at least the bulk of them are back now. 

To whoever deleted the entries...please don't? 

Could you restore the form again?  Somehow the previous entries disappeared again....

Thank you very much!

• 2 weeks later...