Should I take the GRE again?

inooradd

I will try to make this short. I am mainly interested in knowing, from other's experiences, If I should invest the time and money to take the GREs again.

I took my GREs 2 years ago, and got a mediocre score V(154) Q(153) 3.5 Analytic. Based on my research, that is a set of SLIGHTLY above average GRE scores (for these specific programs). 

My background

I am applying to 3 types of PhD programs; Sociology, Social Work, and Research and Evaluations. 

- I am interested in research methodology and family structure

I have an M.A. in Sociology, with a concentration in research methodology

I work full-time conducting social research, as a senior research analyst, and have been for the past 5 years

I teach college level courses, mainly in research methods

I have 1 publication (3 years ago)

I will have 3 GLOWING recommendations from researchers and faculty members

Experience with GRE

I am horrible with these tests. I have taken it 6 times, over the course of the past 8 years. I study 2-3 hours a night, for a month, prior to the test. My score only improves by a couple of points each time. My anxiety is horrible, which interferes with my test taking abilities. This will have been the 7th time I took it, and I don't know if it will improve by that much. 

With that being said, do you guys think it would be worth my time to study and take the GRE again? Your feedback is very appreciated.

Edited by inooradd

On 3/4/2016 at 3:37 PM, inooradd said:

Experience with GRE

I am horrible with these tests. I have taken it 6 times, over the course of the past 8 years. I study 2-3 hours a night, for a month, prior to the test. My score only improves by a couple of points each time. 

There's your problem. Some things, like GRE Verbal (unless you just know a lot of the vocab naturally), are going to take a lot longer to sink in than a month. Granted, there are some superstars who can take the test cold and score nearly perfectly. I'd suggest taking 3-4 months and studying, perhaps using Magoosh (they have study plans available on their website). 

If you want to be competitive (for great programs), I'd try to pull that verbal up to at least a 160 (your math is fine, unless you want to do quant. methods) and your AW score up to 4.5+. 

@Vince Kotchian GRE Prep

Very good point. The first few times (back in 2008 and 2009), I used Princeton Review Online and Kaplan classes. These included books, flashcards, and online/ in person classes. Those did not help very much; especially Kaplan. Then, starting in 2012, I began looking at Magoosh. 

@nevermind

At first, I used Magoosh's 1 month daily study plan. However, that was just enough time to memorize content, as oppose to understand it. I was trying to learn to short-cut the test. Magoosh study material initially helped raised my scores from (Q) 150 V (151) to 153 and 154, respectively. However, this time around I plan on using Magoosh's 3 month plan. This includes a day to day schedule on the study material. Despite the previous success, I am wondering if it will be worth the trouble. 154 to 160 is quite a jump... 

It has been 2 years since my last exam. During this time I have been performing quantitative research and reading mounds of scientific literature for work. In addition, I have been teaching college courses, on my research. So I have some experience, but welcome any advice or study tips. So far, all I've got is Magoosh and their 3 month plan.

Edited by inooradd

Ah - that makes sense - "memorizing content" is not going to get you very far with the GRE. There are no short-cuts or tricks if you want a high score. I have a lot of recommendations on my website for you, and the Magoosh plan is solid - just be prepared to adjust it if you have to in order to fit your schedule.

The time spent planning on how to study now will save you a lot of time and frustration over the next few months.

• 2 weeks later...

if you scores really aren't that good then yeah I would take it again. If you really wanna take it to waist money then don't do it. You should study on some apps they have they really do help. Good luck :)

• 4 weeks later...