Teachers College Social-Organizational PhD Program

kbhv0719

I was wondering if anyone had any insight into the Social-Organizational PhD program at Teachers College, Columbia. Specifically, what are the biggest differences between it and more traditional I/O programs? Does the lack of prestige and involvement at the SIOP conference have any major impact? Do TC graduates typically follow different career paths or work in different areas relative to graduates from more well-known I/O programs?

Thanks!

• 1 year later...
On 3/8/2016 at 8:47 AM, kbhv0719 said:

I was wondering if anyone had any insight into the Social-Organizational PhD program at Teachers College, Columbia. Specifically, what are the biggest differences between it and more traditional I/O programs? Does the lack of prestige and involvement at the SIOP conference have any major impact? Do TC graduates typically follow different career paths or work in different areas relative to graduates from more well-known I/O programs?

Thanks!

Hi,

I have same questions but in addition to above, I also want to ask about the funding provided to the PhD students at TC. From their website it was almost clear that they partially waive off the tution fee.

It depends what you're looking to do in the future. If it's research/a PhD, Columbia's Social-Org program is not as good as a higher ranked program at a lower ranked school (as most good IO programs are at relatively lesser-known schools). If it's IO specific jobs, those other masters may also have a benefit over Columbia, given the SIOP presence and the program-specific rankings, as you mentioned. However, if you want to get a more general consulting job where the school prestige and throwing around big names matters more, then Columbia would be better for that.

As for alumni, I tried to find some on Columbia's website, but they pointed me to a linkedin group I wouldn't be eligible for. You can definitely find this info on linkedin, but I don't have that info right now. It's really about the tradeoff between school ranking and program ranking, something you have to fit with your personal career goals, imo.