Chicago Harris

9 minutes ago, ContinuingEducation2016 said:

Were fellowships announced today too?

Yes, in a separate letter on the same decisions documents page. Links at the bottom of the page.

Just now, SDtoMPP said:

I actually haven't gotten an email yet, though. Only seen it on the portal. Anyone else?

Same. Once y'all said you logged in to see notices, I checked the portal.

I applied for the MSCAPP but got admitted to the MPP. They told me the latter was a stronger match for my academic background. 

I didn't even know they could do that. Anyone in the same (or opposite) situation?

• 3 weeks later...

Is anyone planning to attend the admitted student events next weekend? I'm unable to travel, but would love to hear feedback on the information provided.

Edited by RCtheSS

• 1 month later...

I've just been offered a $12,500 per year scholarship for the MPP, even though I didn't accept a place by the April 15th deadline. Is there anyone else who got funding or is in a similar situation?

6 hours ago, kd7432 said:

I've just been offered a $12,500 per year scholarship for the MPP, even though I didn't accept a place by the April 15th deadline. Is there anyone else who got funding or is in a similar situation?

This is the same amount of my fellowship, although I had to renegotiate for an increase before the April 15 deadline (started at $11,000).

There's a chance that as other admitted applicants denied the enrollment offer, more fellowship funding was made available to offer prospective students.

I received the same thing last Friday.  I applied early action, so I turned them down back in March, so I was kind of surprised to receive the phone call from them.  That being said, if anyone is going to Harris, it seems like you might want to try to negotiate more funding if you haven't done so. 

• 8 months later...

I just checked the results page. Someone posted that they received a call already today (which is strange because according to their website they send out results on February 17th @ 5:30pm). My only thought is that they are based abroad (I myself am based in China), and it's already the 17th. Thoughts? 

28 minutes ago, dwestlakeg said:

I applied for Round 1 this year as well -- nothing yet. From the email last week it sounds like we shouldn't expect anything until exactly 5:30pm CST tomorrow.

21 minutes ago, MLB87 said:

I just checked the results page. Someone posted that they received a call already today (which is strange because according to their website they send out results on February 17th @ 5:30pm). My only thought is that they are based abroad (I myself am based in China), and it's already the 17th. Thoughts? 

I notice that Harris isn't brought up much among users on this forum. What is the common perception of the MPP program? Thoughts?

2 hours ago, thex11factor said:

I notice that Harris isn't brought up much among users on this forum. What is the common perception of the MPP program? Thoughts?

Quality program and very quant-heavy, but also a cash cow whose administration had been in flux a bit recently. Of the brand name programs, it's also a lot easier to get into than many of the others. If you think it may be a reach, go for it because a number of people were surprise admits last cycle. Just don't expect much funding if your numbers are below median.

There are more quantitative tracks you can take within Harris such as MSCAPP. I think throwing out the "cash cow" term can be pretty detrimental to say and not always true. While I believe there are "cash cow" programs, I think this more applies to post bacc programs or certificate type programs.

Why do you say its a quality program but also a cash cow? They seem to be slightly more generous with funding than other similarly ranked programs (i could be wrong)

Got a call this morning -- accepted with $15k / year funding! I'm going to go to the accepted student's day in two weeks, but with the total cost of attendance being over $70k / year I'm going to have to hear some reassuring things about graduate or teaching assistantships, work-study, etc. to make it financially feasible.

34 minutes ago, dwestlakeg said:

Got a call this morning -- accepted with $15k / year funding! I'm going to go to the accepted student's day in two weeks, but with the total cost of attendance being over $70k / year I'm going to have to hear some reassuring things about graduate or teaching assistantships, work-study, etc. to make it financially feasible.

It seems like most people (at least in this forum) were accepted with ~$15k of funding. With $140k--150k for two years and not-so-great post-graduation salaries (even from schools like HKS), I'm not sure this is financially feasible without good graduate/teaching assistantships, work-study, etc. to defer the cost.

Source: see page 4 of the "Employment Overview" PDF on this page: https://www.hks.harvard.edu/degrees/office-of-career-advancement/prospective-students/after-hks