With most of our applications submitted, and people hearing back from schools right and left, I thought it would be nice to start a thread for those of us who are still waiting to hear or stuck on a waiting list. List where you're waiting to hear back from and your waiting list woes! If you're one of the lucky ones who has been accepted to multiple schools, list where you won't be going! This can also be a place to ask questions about waiting list etiquette, deadlines, how to choose, etc!

I've been accepted to MAT programs at Tufts and WashU, still haven't heard back from University of Illinois at UC, and I'm first on the waiting list for my top choice program at UMass Amherst. And the waiting is driving me crazy!!!

Ah, good--I was just thinking about starting this thread yesterday, so thanks for getting it going!

I've been accepted to Oxford's MPhil program in Greek and/or Latin Languages and Literature, haven't yet heard from Brown (does anyone happen to know what's going on with that?), and am on the waiting list for Penn and Princeton. 

3 hours ago, darlingviolet said:

If you're one of the lucky ones who has been accepted to multiple schools, list where you won't be going!

I second this--I'd love to know whether I can keep dreaming about getting off either wait list

I've already rejected my MA programs, so those on their waitlists have already benefited.  I myself am on the waitlist for Penn, and have been accepted to Ohio State University (History department), Cornell Classics, and Catholic University of America's Department of Greek and Latin.  I probably won't accept Catholic's offer, and I'm currently leaning towards Cornell.  Still waiting to hear back from Toronto.

Thank you for starting this topic.  Still waiting to hear from Bryn Mawr, SUNY Buffalo, and Boston University, and with each day I feel my hopes getting dimmer. Accepted at Catholic University. Waitlist at Rutgers. 

Waitlisted at Stanford. It was originally my first choice but I'm now leaning heavily toward Berkeley/Princeton/Harvard. Not sure yet. But it's good to finally be done with the wait.

Congrats/good luck to all of you!

Have been waitlsted at Stanford, accepted to AAMW at Penn and IPCAA at UMichigan. I'm probably going to make my decision between the two this week or next week, but I'm leaning quite heavily towards one.

On 3/9/2016 at 11:50 PM, anactoria said:

Waitlisted at Stanford. It was originally my first choice but I'm now leaning heavily toward Berkeley/Princeton/Harvard. Not sure yet. But it's good to finally be done with the wait.

Congrats/good luck to all of you!

Congrats to all of you this application cycle! Just throwing out a NB - if you are in the final selection phase, and know for sure you are not planning on attending a certain school, please let that school as soon as possible. Currently waitlisted at Columbia (CLST) and it is my top choice 

Hi, all! I know a lot of people on here are PhD people, so this doesn't apply to a lot of you, but...

I just confirmed acceptance at WUSTL for their MA program and declined at University of Kansas and University of Kentucky for their MA programs.

Good luck to anybody on the wait lists! :)

Good luck in your next steps! And congratulations on your acceptances and decisions. This week has not yielded any further information for me. It's been a frustrating week. And of the schools I'm waiting to hear from, only one is on spring break. The universe is apparently trying to teach me patience.

On 3/10/2016 at 9:45 PM, Eurydice said:

Congrats to all of you this application cycle! Just throwing out a NB - if you are in the final selection phase, and know for sure you are not planning on attending a certain school, please let that school as soon as possible. Currently waitlisted at Columbia (CLST) and it is my top choice 

Just declined Columbia CLST. Good luck!

26 minutes ago, rjyjate said:

I just got off the waitlist at UNC! Massive thanks to whoever turned them down. 

Congratulations! I visited there a week or so back; it's a great place. I didn't realize that they had a waitlist. Now I feel like I need to decide on that offer as soon as possible... I don't want to keep anyone out if I don't end up going there. 

Hey - so I am wait listed at three schools, none of whom do interviews. It seems as if I am on a very short wait list at one of the schools in particular. Do you think it would hurt to offer/politely ask to visit that school soon so that I could better get to know them and vice versa as I way to avoid my having to make a hasty decision should I be accepted on say April 14? Thanks for any insights and best of luck remaining patient!

I think that depends upon the school. Have you had any one-on-one interactions with the faculty? Were they friendly? I remember when I was looking at schools in the fall, I was warned that certain schools were more receptive to visits than others. But in this case, if you are high on the waitlist, could maybe be a good way to show your interest in the school? I don't know. Interested to hear other thoughts, but I am in the same dilemma.

2 hours ago, LtnLvr said:

Hey - so I am wait listed at three schools, none of whom do interviews. It seems as if I am on a very short wait list at one of the schools in particular. Do you think it would hurt to offer/politely ask to visit that school soon so that I could better get to know them and vice versa as I way to avoid my having to make a hasty decision should I be accepted on say April 14? Thanks for any insights and best of luck remaining patient!

If you think you would go there, and you are close to the top of the wait list, I think that you could ask to visit. Have you had any correspondence with them at all? Did they invite your questions, should they arise? If so, that is a good entree to writing to them. Can you afford to visit, it terms of time and whatever cash you would have to spend if they are not paying for your travel expenses? Do you think that the visit would clinch your decision between this school and the one where you have already gotten the offer? And is there an offer of funding with the school that accepted you?

39 minutes ago, Agrippina said:

If you think you would go there, and you are close to the top of the wait list, I think that you could ask to visit. Have you had any correspondence with them at all? Did they invite your questions, should they arise? If so, that is a good entree to writing to them. Can you afford to visit, it terms of time and whatever cash you would have to spend if they are not paying for your travel expenses? Do you think that the visit would clinch your decision between this school and the one where you have already gotten the offer? And is there an offer of funding with the school that accepted you?

Hey, thanks for answering my question Eurydice and Agrippina. Yes, the offer I have received is with full funding. I think that I could afford it, and that it would clinch the decision. They did leave it open for me to ask questions. Leaning towards asking about it!

17 minutes ago, anactoria said:

Holy smokes, got a call from Stanford's DGS this morning offering a place off the waitlist. I'm flying out to visit just about a week before the deadline. Feeling vaguely dazed. 

Congratulations! That's fantastic although you had a tough decision even before today. Why aren't you doing the visit until then? Do you live abroad? Do you think you will winnow down your list to two or three before that week? 

Just now, LtnLvr said:

Congratulations! That's fantastic although you had a tough decision even before today. Why aren't you doing the visit until then? Do you live abroad? Do you think you will winnow down your list to two or three before that week? 

By the way, none of the places I am waitlisted at are schools where you have offers so I am really just curious! :)