41 minutes ago, LtnLvr said:

Congratulations! That's fantastic although you had a tough decision even before today. Why aren't you doing the visit until then? Do you live abroad? Do you think you will winnow down your list to two or three before that week? 

Thank you! I live abroad this year but have already been planning to fly back to the US for the Princeton/Harvard visits in late March–early April. So it would make the most sense to just tack Stanford onto the end of that trip. Still, it's definitely cutting it a little tight, and of course I was stressed enough already about making a decision ! But based on just the ones I've seen so far, Berkeley is the favorite.

1 hour ago, anactoria said:

Holy smokes, got a call from Stanford's DGS this morning offering a place off the waitlist. I'm flying out to visit just about a week before the deadline. Feeling vaguely dazed. 

Wow - congratulations!!! Such exciting news! I hope you enjoy the visit!

4 minutes ago, anactoria said:

Thank you! I live abroad this year but have already been planning to fly back to the US for the Princeton/Harvard visits in late March–early April. So it would make the most sense to just tack Stanford onto the end of that trip. Still, it's definitely cutting it a little tight, and of course I was stressed enough already about making a decision ! But based on just the ones I've seen so far, Berkeley is the favorite.

Good luck! That's going to be an interesting and exciting few weeks. Let us know how it goes!

1 hour ago, anactoria said:

Holy smokes, got a call from Stanford's DGS this morning offering a place off the waitlist. I'm flying out to visit just about a week before the deadline. Feeling vaguely dazed. 

Great news! Funded, I hope? 

Hey guys! Finally got off the waiting list and was accepted to UMass Amherst!! There is hope after all :D

I'm still trying to make my final decision but its mostly come down to Tufts and UMass. Could any of you kind Americans help out a poor Canadian? I'd love to get a sense of their reputations from the perspective of American students. 

On April 1, 2016 at 8:46 AM, $eptimius$everus said:

To the person who posted on the results board about the waitlist at BU-- I just turned down my offer there, so good luck! I hope you get the spot!

That was me! I got accepted this morning -- looks like I got your spot. Thanks for letting them know early and also for the words of encouragement! 

Best of luck with your future studies!

17 hours ago, pro Augustis said:

I officially declined my Chapel Hill offer this morning, so if you are on the wait list there you will hopefully get some good news soon. 

Where are you planning to go instead of Chapel Hill?

any compatriots still out there in the waiting process? two schools told me they would let me know by the end of this weekend. pure torture. completely ruining any and all focus I have

32 minutes ago, Eurydice said:

any compatriots still out there in the waiting process? two schools told me they would let me know by the end of this weekend. pure torture. completely ruining any and all focus I have

I am still waiting on Michigan. Honestly not super sure how the logistics of it all are supposed to work. I have heard that some schools call on the fifteenth itself. But one presumably cannot wait too long for that call, as that is also the deadline to accept other offers...

1 hour ago, pro Augustis said:

Apologies for the double post... but I just got into Michigan. Very excited but am going to take the next twenty-four hours to reflect on it before making a final decision. 

Congratulations!!!! Hope to see you there of course, but either way I trust you will make the best decision for yourself! 

I just declined a fully funded offer from UCSB, so if anyone is on their waiting list either for admission or funding, I hope that helps. 

I now have to decide between UW Madison and WashU's PhD program. I'm so torn and keep going back and forth ? If anyone has advice, I'd appreciate it.

On 4/13/2016 at 0:13 AM, ciistai said:

Congratulations!!!! Hope to see you there of course, but either way I trust you will make the best decision for yourself! 

Thanks! Unfortunately, the Michigan thing ended up falling through. I woke up the next morning to an email beginning with apologies and explaining that, while the department wants to admit me, the university isn't giving them funding for wait list admits. So that was possibly the most anticlimactic experience of my life.

But there is an upside: I'm going to Texas, which is official as of a few minutes ago. So lots of Romans and no winter in the next few years. I'm excited. 

3 hours ago, pro Augustis said:

Thanks! Unfortunately, the Michigan thing ended up falling through. I woke up the next morning to an email beginning with apologies and explaining that, while the department wants to admit me, the university isn't giving them funding for wait list admits. So that was possibly the most anticlimactic experience of my life.

But there is an upside: I'm going to Texas, which is official as of a few minutes ago. So lots of Romans and no winter in the next few years. I'm excited. 

Congratulations again! Though, wow, that's really crappy??? I've never heard of that being the situation before :/ 

1 hour ago, ciistai said:

Congratulations again! Though, wow, that's really crappy??? I've never heard of that being the situation before :/ 

Yeah, Wednesday was not a fun day. Lots of going up to people and explaining that, though I said I had gotten into Michigan the day before, that apparently had not in fact happened. In a way it's better that the ultimate rejection had nothing to do with me as an applicant, but it also just makes it feel super arbitrary. Anyway, though, I still feel lucky to have a cool program to go to. Now I just need to figure out how to find an apartment in Texas and make a password that their site won't reject as too easy (it's so picky!).