Choosing a geoscience PhD program: UToronto, UChicago, UDelaware, MIT/WHOI

rinit

Right. So I'm finishing up campus visits within the next week, and I have some big decisions to make. I have excellent funding and good potential advisors lined up for all 4 programs in the geosciences, largely focusing on terrestrial or marine stable isotope geochemistry:

• UToronto earth sciences, funded by Connaught International Scholarship
  • UChicago geophysical sciences, funded by RA/TA, with additional relocation assistance and small 2-year $4500 named fellowships
  • UDelaware oceanography, funded by Marian R Okie fellowship and RA
  • MIT/WHOI marine geology/ chemical oceanography, funded by RA

I think I'd be fine with any of these programs, research and career-wise, and I'm continuing to talk to POIs and current students. Anyone have any particular insights into any of these programs, or has anyone faced choosing between these before?

Would your main advisor for MIT/WHOI be at MIT or at WHOI? That could make a big difference. I was choosing between geological sciences at UD and CEE at MIT. I went with the latter. PM me if you want more info, since some stuff is a little personal.

On 3/8/2016 at 2:46 PM, GeoDUDE! said:

If you want to stay in academia, without knowing exactly who your POIs are, WHOI or Chicago is the obvious choice. 

I'm not sure I agree with that statement without qualifications, but the name brand recognition of MIT and WHOI does seem to make things easier for me in certain settings. Also, at WHOI if you are choosing between MGG and MCG, the former has a less stressful qualifying exam structure that has the added benefit of keeping you on a timeline for submitting papers for publication. Chemistry is nice in the alternative if you don't want to spend much time taking classes, as there is only one required class (I'm discounting seminars).