How many schools are you applying to?

a fragrant plant

How many schools are you applying to? My list has grown from 6 to 10-11.

I'm not sure if I should apply to Washington University in St. Louis. Their program only admits 2-3 students every year so I don't know if I should even bother. I'm also not sure about living in the midwest. How is St. Louis? Any insight?

On 11/15/2009 at 4:57 PM, peanuttheanthro said:

How many schools are you applying to? My list has grown from 6 to 10-11.

I'm not sure if I should apply to Washington University in St. Louis. Their program only admits 2-3 students every year so I don't know if I should even bother. I'm also not sure about living in the midwest. How is St. Louis? Any insight?

Well, I've lived in Detroit, and *I* think St. Louis sucks. :P

I'm applying to six schools.

7. I was going to apply to one program where my favorite sociologist teaches, but I think the acceptance is even lower than any other of the ridiculously low acceptance rates at other programs. And most of the other folks have left, so it is pretty much just her.

So I traded that one in for a much lower ranked program that has the benefit of being in my state.

My list of schools shrank from 13 to 9, and I'm actually having serious second thoughts about a couple of them. I'm going to apply anyway because I want to maximize my chances of getting in somewhere and I'd still go if they were they only ones that accepted me, but the program fit isn't as good as some of the others. Plus, I've already spent the money on sending GRE scores and transcripts so I might as well just go through with it.

I PMed you about St. Louis.

I haven't fully decided yet where I'm applying. That's a bad thing. 4 places for sure...maybe 5, *maybe* 6, but that's a *very* maybe. I keep getting "our medievalists don't work with grad students..." /sigh

so far, i'm only applying to 3 schools. i've limited myself by geography (although there are a lot of schools that are relatively accessible from New York City) and obviously by fit. there are only three schools that i feel i have a fitting chance to get into and that i would actually attend. it's always crazy to see that others are applying to so many schools. a friend is applying to 15 (!) schools! 15! that's so much money, so many apps to keep track of, and so much tweaking of the statement of purpose to really demonstrate fit. the differences between the 3 schools, programs, and applications that i am applying to are demanding enough of my attention and concern that i commend people working on twice that number.

Edited by samjones

I'm applying to 8 schools, 10 programs. My preferred subject sits right in the middle of two disciplines so I am applying to both at 2 schools. I asked my current supervisor if that would be frowned up on (in the UK) and she said it's not a problem there to do that, so let's hope.

5 programs (in 3 schools). My field is interdisciplinary (plus I'm interested in a lot of things), but I'm limited by geography--not moving at all. So I'm very fortunate I have that many programs within a 5 mile radius that I would be interested in attending and happy if I got into (I know it sounds crazy, but that's the advantage to living in a big city).

I'm applying to seven, and it's going to cost me an arm and a leg. I did course work at three schools, so transcript costs are through the roof! All of them are PhD, but there aren't that many terminal masters programs in Political Science that I could find. Most say that your goal must be a doctorate. :blink: