Accepted Into GMU MSW Program

taahir91

Not yet, the office of graduate admissions still hasn't attached my transcripts to my application. Now that I've called them (again) it'll be two to four weeks and I'll know. I'm pretty sure I'll get in to the advanced standing, but I'm still nervous. To be nosy taahir, what is your GPA and all that admissions whatnot like?

• 2 weeks later...

@taahir91 After 3 months of calling I just got my transcripts attached to my application a few weeks ago. They told me I should hear by next week and I have an undergrad GPA of 3.8, but it took them so long to actually start reviewing my application that I'm nervous I'll be rejected for lack of space in the program. I did my two practicums (still in one) at a men's prison and a community hospital, but I want to do work with victim's advocacy and trauma recovery. Here's hoping I find out soon!

@Sketchitar GMU  has not approved all graduate students enrollment form,which is disappointing because its been 3 weeks since I accepted my enrollment. I think you will be fine with space and availability, especially with a 3.8 GPA and volunteer work in the field.

@taahir91 Thanks, it's nice to have the reassurance. It just gets tiring waiting for them (and I get paranoid) when I'm supposed to be taking a summer class.

And other GMU MSW people, are you just lurking or is it really only the two of us on here? Come join the fun!

@MistyMountainHop GMU seems to have an issue where there are a ton of current students and applicants, but not a whole lot of staff to deal with them. My dad got his PhD at GMU very recently and had this same problem--he was accepted 10 days before classes started, and it took a month or two to get his actual diploma from them (they had misplaced it). When I call the office I get about the same three people every times--I can't imagine there are truly enough staff to handle us all properly. It's frustrating and a little ridiculous.

I was admitted 2/22 but didn't receive notification until 3/3..don't get why it took a week to let me no lol.I think they made a decision with yall but maybe havent told the admission office??..But I received noticed yesterday I pick classes 4/5...I'm assuming you should hear something really soon or their delayed with other applicants

@MistyMountainHop Yeah I have no idea why it seems to be structured this way, but it's been driving my family crazy for 11 years now.

As as side note, did either of you apply for the advanced standing track? I was wondering when (if at this point) I start the summer course I might see a friendly face. Friendly username. Whatever.

I finally gave up on the whole "patience" thing and e-mailed them, politely explaining that I have been waiting for four months to hear about this decision and would like to know if I got in so I can figure out how to pay for the damn thing and register for classes.

See that's where I might have failed. There's this little line on the CHHS website that says there was a restructuring and office of grad admissions was handling all Fall 2016 admission, so I sent it there and mentioned that in my e-mail. I got my automated reply and if I don't get the real reply by Wednesday, I'll email the program directly. 

No, I live in NoVA and my commute will be okay-ish. If either of you are looking at off campus housing and have a car, it's worth it to come down out of Fairfax into Manassas/Gainesville. The drive to the school would be up 66 but with the cost of housing up that way it's worth it.

Update for those still waiting: I called all the offices that I could and I almost got an answer.

One of the very nice admissions women at CHHS told me that the system that's being used to process applications was changed and now they have to put in a ton of stuff manually and it takes forever. Surprise, I am not the first caller about this issue. The social work program person I spoke with said that they are "sending out decisions every day" and we "should know by next week." Anyone labeled "out for decision" is considered to be still under review by faculty.

So despite being 4 months into the waiting game, I should probably not organize an effort to storm the castle. But that doesn't mean I don't want to.

@MistyMountainHop They don't have a cut off date of when they'll close enrollment, so I'm not sure. I didn't really expect them to have one, but I had hoped they would have established a better system in the 10 years since the last time my family had dealings with them. From previous experience, we might find out 10 days before classes start. Hopefully sooner.

I did just get a response to an e-mail I sent this morning explaining that I was entering month 4 of this nonsense (politely put, of course) and I was told that someone higher up the food chain was informed that I'd been sitting here for a while, so they might get a move on with mine. I suggest being not just the squeaky wheel, but the wheel with an air horn.

Did your application change from the status of "under review" to "out for decision"? Mine has said "under review" for months now. I haven't heard anything yet. I tried emailing yesterday but haven't gotten a response. 

I was told by my academic advisor the class selections would begin on 4/12..Im assuming that the latest you guys would hear something.

I guess I'm going to be commuting from the PWC campus to the Fairfax campus.. Rent is a little expensive near Fairfax county

@cvsorange the website says e-mail for faster answers, but it really is better to call in and see what's going on. The people in the offices are very nice and sometimes from their end the statuses look different because the self service center takes longer to update.

My application has been "out for decision" for about three weeks now. The office told me it's 2-4 weeks for a decision once it changes, and that there's no cut off date when they'll have everyone accepted by.