MSW2010

tem11

@terrim no, you shouldn't feel bad about posting your acceptance. you work hard for them and I (and I am sure everyone else) are happy to share in your good news. :) Have you decided which program/school are you going to ?? or are u still waiting for funding to come through??

@annie a I am currently working as a family case manager at a non profit working with low income families. I have been working in this particular job for three years already so I guess I do have some experience in the field. Thank you for your encouragement too. I think what is killing my apps is my (exceptionally) low gpa (<2.5) :(

What advice do you both have for someone like me ?? I talked to a couple of admission coordinator who says that basically taking classes after earning your bachelor's will not help increase your GPA. is this true?? If thats the case, how else can I improve my apps for next year ??

@terrim no, you shouldn't feel bad about posting your acceptance. you work hard for them and I (and I am sure everyone else) are happy to share in your good news. :) Have you decided which program/school are you going to ?? or are u still waiting for funding to come through??

@annie a I am currently working as a family case manager at a non profit working with low income families. I have been working in this particular job for three years already so I guess I do have some experience in the field. Thank you for your encouragement too. I think what is killing my apps is my (exceptionally) low gpa (<2.5) :(

What advice do you both have for someone like me ?? I talked to a couple of admission coordinator who says that basically taking classes after earning your bachelor's will not help increase your GPA. is this true?? If thats the case, how else can I improve my apps for next year ??

Well - I can tell you how I did it. It is the "back door" approach and seems to really work!

Anyone who has a bachelor's degree is eligible to sign up for grad classes as a "non degree-seeking student." So, what I did was sign up for a couple of grad classes on a non-degree basis and worked really hard to earn A's and get to the know the faculty in the department. Once they got to know me and saw that I could handle grad work and had the commitment level, I was recommended for admission. I think this is the absolute best way for someone with a poor undergrad transcript to redeem themselves. Look into it and you will be surprised what opportunity comes your way!

Do you have any local schools that interest you?

Edited by annie a

I haven't received any funding info yet so I'm not sure. I've narrowed it down to Columbia, Pitt, NYU or Oxford's masters in Evidence-Based Social Intervention (if I get in). I'd say Columbia is my top choice but they're supposedly terrible with financial aid and I refuse to go $120,000 in debt for a social work degree. More than likely, Pitt will be the most affordable option and I've only heard great things about their program.

As for advice, I think your experience will definitely show them that you're dedicated to the field. While taking more classes won't boost your undergrad GPA, it will give them a second transcript with presumably much higher grades. I think annie a has some good advice too. If this round of applications doesn't pan out, you can take classes and prove yourself to professors who can then write you solid letters of recommendation. Also, from what I've read, personal statements are huge for MSW programs. I've posted mine on gradcafe and other forums and people have been really, really helpful at editing them. You can always try to hide a low GPA with work experience (which you already have), great letters of recommendation (both academic and professional) and a strong personal statement. Add some higher grades from a community/local college and you should be pretty competitive!

I agree about not wanting to go into debt for a social work degree because we all know how much we will be making when we get out ...:)

So I have been sitting at home last night (with my cheesecake and watching american idol (seriously that show always makes me feel better, i mean, watching these people think they can sing on national tv is the best cure ever !! :) ) and going through my application to loyola over and over and over again and I think here is my problem:

-low GPA

-ok personal statement

-lor might have been a big problem (I had two from former supervisor and one from my coworker) I have been out of undergrad for 3 years already and could not for the life of me conjured up a single professor to help me

-turned in my application late ???

-oh, also, probably my biggest mistake, I actually worked 2 years at a nonprofit when I was in college but didn't put down that as work experience because I was an admin assistant and didnt think that would have been relevant as a social worker (i totally regret it now because that would have boost my work experience from 3 years to 5 ... hrmphhhh)

I should really stop thinking about it and just move on, i know i know.

@annie a I guess I can always take some classes at my local state school, I don't really want to go there but will if thats the only place that will accept me :(

Do you think schools that are swamped with apps right now just automatically screen out the really low GPA's to expedite things - or do you think they actually read each and every personal statement? Seriously...even in social work I have my doubts that they go that far with the low-GPA folk. Any thoughts?

Do you think schools that are swamped with apps right now just automatically screen out the really low GPA's to expedite things - or do you think they actually read each and every personal statement? Seriously...even in social work I have my doubts that they go that far with the low-GPA folk. Any thoughts?

This is a really good question and I'm finding myself wavering between two main thoughts: I can't help thinking that they do take the time to read each statement because of the significance of having relevant experience, and because there are so many factors that can affect GPA - both of which can be explained in a personal statement. At the same time, if someone applies with a really, really low GPA (like, a 1.something or low 2) that probably won't help in conveying their ability to successfully complete graduate level work (where its likely you'd have to maintain at least a B average).

So I guess I'm kind of undecided on this matter, lol. I'd be interested to see what other people think about this, too ^_^ And congrats to Fierceflawless and MelMcC on your acceptances!

Edited by Jade08

Is the silence killing anybody else? I have not heard back from any of my schools and I am starting to panic. Spoke with UCLA yesterday and they said my application was out for review but judging by last years posts I shouldn't expect to hear anything from them until May or June angry.gif ! Anyone know when we will here from Berkeley?

OMG!!! I think the admissions staff reads minds (or this forum) because seconds after I posted about wanting to hear from Berkeley I get an email offering me admission! It's my first acceptance and I am so relieved! I honestly thought I wasn't going to get in anywhere! For those of you who have "colorful" applications like me don't lose hope.

@cupojoe congrats !!! and yes the silence is killing me slowly..... i wish they would reject me already ...

@terrim $2000??? thats so little ... i mean that barely covers your book... has your other school offered u funding yet ?? maybe u can call university of pittsburg and see if they will up the money ?? :)

Congratulations Cup of Joe! That makes me really excited because I thought I would have to wait forever for Berkeley news. I'm really hoping for an admit there. I just talked to University of Washington Seattle and they said they wouldn't be notifying until April. April????? I will have already quit my job and have my house packed up by then. I need to know where I am moving to! Please tell me if you are a MAP applicant. That's what I applied to. Also, when did you apply? I applied somewhat early but my GRE scores showed up just before the deadline. I also applied to UCLA and May or June seems really really late to be making life changing decisions. UGH

Thanks for the congrats!

@Nessadub Congrats to you too! I applied to Child and Family Services right at the deadline (1/5), I was shocked to hear from Berkeley so soon. UCLA is my first choice so now I have to wait to find out if I'm moving to Berkeley or staying put in LA. Hopefully UCLA will do a better job of letting people know earlier this year, notices in April, May and June are riddiculous. How are you supposed to move, find housing, and settle into a new city before classes begin in August. But overall I can't complain, just glad I got in somewhere.

@kobe36 Hang in there! Based on last years posts, most people who got in didn't hear anything until March and April!

Edited by cupojoe

ditto to kobe36: hang in there! You will get admission. Kobe36 did you apply for any of the child welfare stipends? Also gerontology is a good field. Some schools like Berkeley sort you by your concentration during admissions, so you could be competing against fewer people in the gerontology concentration. Or more depending on the year....

cupojoe: Berkeley is great! I grew up in Southern California in Los Angeles County. I've lived in the North Bay for 20 years now. I think Berkeley would be a great place to go to school. Have you visited the school yet?

Terrim: Have you heard anything from Columbia for funding? Sorry about Pittsburgh. I'm assuming you don't have in-state tuition. I looked at their website, it looks like they are actually lowering their tuition. That's something you don't hear every day. I looked at Washington University in St. Louis (WashU) and they charge about 30,000 a year. I am hoping to hear great things about a funding package from them. Otherwise it is going to be very, very expensive.

On 2/18/2010 at 9:45 AM, nessadub said:

Terrim: Have you heard anything from Columbia for funding? Sorry about Pittsburgh. I'm assuming you don't have in-state tuition. I looked at their website, it looks like they are actually lowering their tuition. That's something you don't hear every day. I looked at Washington University at St. Louis (WashU) and they charge about 30,000 a year. I am hoping to hear great things about a funding package from them. Otherwise it is going to be very, very expensive.

Nope, I haven't heard from Columbia yet. Just Pitt and NYU. I actually do have in-state tuition, but I was expecting a bit more than $2,000. As Kobe said, that hardly covers books :(. At this point I'm really considering doing AmeriCorps for a year or two and reapplying to cheaper schools in a year or two. Good luck with your funding package from WUSTL!

I hope you all get loads of acceptances very soon :).

My coworker's daughter is doing Americorp in Washington D.C. right now. She is in her second year and she is 21 years old. Some schools give scholarships to Americorp applicants, like Washington University in St. Louis for example. ;)

Sounds like a fun way to go if you can afford the low pay. Her daughter was at Obama's presidential inauguration in D.C.

@terrim my coworker did americorps for a year with at risk youth and she loved it. says it was a great experience and they include boarding and a plane ride home (once or twice a year) if you relocate to another state, also they give u a stipend of $1200 a month. I thought about doing it as well if this doesn't pan out, at least it will be a change of scenery.

@nessadub i did not applied to any of the child welfare program because I am not sure if I will want to commit to a job right after i graduate for two years. and I am not interested in gerontology. I did talked to my director who says that if you participate in the school's title vi program, they can forgive your loans after 2 years up to $18000 but for me personally, I am not really sure I can make that kind of commitment at this point.

On 2/18/2010 at 4:50 PM, kobe36 said:

@terrim my coworker did americorps for a year with at risk youth and she loved it. says it was a great experience and they include boarding and a plane ride home (once or twice a year) if you relocate to another state, also they give u a stipend of $1200 a month. I thought about doing it as well if this doesn't pan out, at least it will be a change of scenery.

@nessadub i did not applied to any of the child welfare program because I am not sure if I will want to commit to a job right after i graduate for two years. and I am not interested in gerontology. I did talked to my director who says that if you participate in the school's title vi program, they can forgive your loans after 2 years up to $18000 but for me personally, I am not really sure I can make that kind of commitment at this point.

Good luck everyone

Wow - I did not know they offered scholarships for AmeriCorps?

I did it for two years...is it too late to apply to WUSTL?

TerriM - I wanted to give you my opinion on school debt for whatever it is worth...I am in my mid-30's with quite a bit of work experience and some debt from undergrad and my MPH. I am now considering going into a LOT more debt for an MSW and this is why:

First off, I am not interested in owning a home as I am very mobile and travel a lot to live/work in other countries. Home ownership feels more like a burden than an asset to me, personally. Therefore, my priority is spending money on an education not a mortgage or car payments. You must assess your priorities and I suppose I prefer the investment of knowledge/experience.

You cannot put a price on education. A very good education - one that you may have to go into debt for - will reward you and open doors for you throughout your entire life. Think about all the many years of work you have ahead of you. People always say, "The name of the school does not matter!" Well, that is simply untrue. And I know this because both my undergrad and masters in public health are from West Virginia University and I have had a lot of prospective employers and people in my competitive field question my legitimacy/ability/knowledge because my degree is from a “second-rate” school. (Let me just add here that I loved WVU, found many brilliant people there and feel honored to have attended – sadly not everyone sees the value in the institution. I do loathe the snobbery I have encountered because of my beloved alma matar.)

Anyone who says the name if your school does not matter does not truly know what they are talking about. I am in the competitive field of international human rights and you better believe it does! I suppose it also depends on what field you want to enter, as well. But it take it from me – someone who has a broad range of experiences from local and to international organizations – the sad truth is there is a lot in a ‘name.’

My advice, TerriM, is to go to the school you are most interested in and you feel can offer you the most. Worry about that before money – as money is just, well, money.