MSW2010

tem11

My advice, TerriM, is to go to the school you are most interested in and you feel can offer you the most. Worry about that before money – as money is just, well, money.

Thanks so much for your supportive words. My husband and I have no intentions of ever buying a house either, so I can totally relate. I'm still considering NYU or Columbia but I've ruled Pitt out. We're also strongly considering a permanent move to California so I'll qualify for in-state tuition at Berkeley or UCLA next year. Thank goodness the hubby has a great career in software development! We still have a few months to figure everything out and I'm sure whatever happens is for the best. For now, I'm trying not to stress out about it. There are lots of options :).

Congratulations to you, Jade! Is NYU your first choice?

Thanks so much for your supportive words. My husband and I have no intentions of ever buying a house either, so I can totally relate. I'm still considering NYU or Columbia but I've ruled Pitt out. We're also strongly considering a permanent move to California so I'll qualify for in-state tuition at Berkeley or UCLA next year. Thank goodness the hubby has a great career in software development! We still have a few months to figure everything out and I'm sure whatever happens is for the best. For now, I'm trying not to stress out about it. There are lots of options :).

Congratulations to you, Jade! Is NYU your first choice?

Thanks TerriM! And congrats/welcome, robin02! NYU is definitely at the top of my list given their clinical focus, but I'll admit I've been worrying about the loans I'd have to take out to attend the schools where in-state tuition isn't an option for me. I grew up in upstate New York and would looove to be in the Northeast again....but then my parents chime in about how I should attend the school where I'll come out with the least amount of debt...and they make a good point...but I'm really tempted to go along with annie a's suggestion and go where I'll be the happiest in terms of the program and location :)

congrats, jade08 and robin02 for your acceptance. do u mind me asking when u guys applied to nyu? I am also waiting to hear from them and I am very anxious so I just wanted to see how long it usually takes for them to replied !! and also how did you guys find out ?? did they send u an email or postal mail ??

Edited by kobe36

HI Annie: I meant to write City Year, not Americorps. Sorry. Also, thank you so much for your feedback. I am late thirties and we are giving up on the house dream. We have a almost three year old, so it took a lot of discussion.

congrats robin! accepted to two different ends of the country. tough decisions.

Edited by nessadub

Thank you for the congrats, everyone! I think the level of support in this forum is pretty cool.

To Kobe36: I submitted my NYU MSW app on Jan 15, and received the decision on Feb 12. As the 'official' deadline for apps has just recently passed, they've probably just received a LOT of apps, so it might take a longer time until you get your decision (assuming you've just turned in you app this month...).

As soon as someone hears from UCLA- please let us know! Thanks!

congrats, jade08 and robin02 for your acceptance. do u mind me asking when u guys applied to nyu? I am also waiting to hear from them and I am very anxious so I just wanted to see how long it usually takes for them to replied !! and also how did you guys find out ?? did they send u an email or postal mail ??

Thanks for the congrats! My application for NYU was complete as of Jan. 15th and my decision letter was available on ApplyYourself on Feb.19th (I didn't get an email or postal mail indicating that a decision had been made). I logged on last night, not expecting to see anything new, and saw an update beneath the Submission Status saying that my decision letter was available for me to view. Once I scrolled to the bottom of the page there was a link to the actual letter.

Thanks for the congrats! My application for NYU was complete as of Jan. 15th and my decision letter was available on ApplyYourself on Feb.19th (I didn't get an email or postal mail indicating that a decision had been made). I logged on last night, not expecting to see anything new, and saw an update beneath the Submission Status saying that my decision letter was available for me to view. Once I scrolled to the bottom of the page there was a link to the actual letter.

Congrats on the NYU decision!

I wonder what is holding Columbia up? Nobody from the Jan. 15 deadline batch seems to have heard yet.

Kobe36, I was accepted to NYU last week, but I applied back on October 15th! It took them absolutely ages to evaluate my application and from what I hear, they're pretty swamped. I applied to most schools super early so I've heard back from most of them, but I haven't heard a word about financial aid from anyone. I may as well still be waiting since that's the deciding factor.

Best of luck to you and nessadub! I hope you both hear soon :).

I have a question to all of you. I am thinking of applying to MFT program but I start doing more research on MSW and I now I am not sure what program to apply MSW or MFT. Can anyone help me with that?

I have a question to all of you. I am thinking of applying to MFT program but I start doing more research on MSW and I now I am not sure what program to apply MSW or MFT. Can anyone help me with that?

I considered applying to both counseling programs and MSW programs. After speaking with many counselors and social workers, I was told that the MSW is the way to go. Apparently insurance companies are more likely to reimburse for social work services as opposed to counseling services which means that social workers can work with a wider variety of clients. My understanding is that pay is the same among both professions, but a social work degree is more flexible.

Hope that was helpful!

Hi everyone! I am new to the forum. I just got my letter in the mail this week from NYU. I havent heard anything from them about money yet. Still waiting on Columbia MSW and HGSE. So far, I have heard from NYU, Penn, Michigan, and Chicago. Ive narrowed it down to Columbia, Penn or HGSE.

Congrats to everyone who has gotten acceptances! :)

Edited by lsh37421

I haven't received any funding info yet so I'm not sure. I've narrowed it down to Columbia, Pitt, NYU or Oxford's masters in Evidence-Based Social Intervention (if I get in). I'd say Columbia is my top choice but they're supposedly terrible with financial aid and I refuse to go $120,000 in debt for a social work degree. More than likely, Pitt will be the most affordable option and I've only heard great things about their program.

As for advice, I think your experience will definitely show them that you're dedicated to the field. While taking more classes won't boost your undergrad GPA, it will give them a second transcript with presumably much higher grades. I think annie a has some good advice too. If this round of applications doesn't pan out, you can take classes and prove yourself to professors who can then write you solid letters of recommendation. Also, from what I've read, personal statements are huge for MSW programs. I've posted mine on gradcafe and other forums and people have been really, really helpful at editing them. You can always try to hide a low GPA with work experience (which you already have), great letters of recommendation (both academic and professional) and a strong personal statement. Add some higher grades from a community/local college and you should be pretty competitive!

Congrats on the acceptances!! I am still waiting for Columbia. Why is it taking so long?

Edited by lsh37421

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, and after reading all your replies for the past 2 weeks I have finally decided to join!

I am waiting up my fall 2010 MSW acceptances/rejections.

I have applied to Columbia, NYU, Hunter, Fordham, and StonyBrook.

Has anyone heard from Columbia yet? Last time I spoke to admissions they said they were going to notify everyone by March 1st. I am stressing!

if anyone has heard from any schools let me know .

Good lucK!

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, and after reading all your replies for the past 2 weeks I have finally decided to join!

Has anyone heard from Columbia yet? Last time I spoke to admissions they said they were going to notify everyone by March 1st. I am stressing!

Good lucK!

I got an email from them yesterday saying that they would start sending out decisions later this week.

Hi everyone,

Good lucK!

Hi Morad123:

I also applied to NYU, Hunter and Fordham. Have you heard anything from those three schools??? I am so anxious because I haven't heard anything from them other than confirmation of receiving my application.

Hi Morad123:

I also applied to NYU, Hunter and Fordham. Have you heard anything from those three schools??? I am so anxious because I haven't heard anything from them other than confirmation of receiving my application.

I heard from NYU about a week or so ago. But I applied super early and still have not heard about any financial aid. I am pretty sure that they are still pumping out decisions.

I hope you hear soon. :) All the best!

Hi Morad123:

HI! I have no heard anything from anyone. Although I did receive a response email from Columbia admissions saying that decisions will be emailed starting tomorrow and Friday. Geez this waiting is rough. Let me know when you hear something and good luck!

I'm so glad that I came upon this forum! It's so nice to know that I'm not the only one anxiously awaiting replies! I have applied to the MSW programs at Berkeley, Portland State, University of Hawaii, NYU, Hunter, Simmons and Boston University. I applied to most very close to the deadline and have not heard back from any yet. Has anyone heard from any of these??

Good luck to all!

I'm so glad that I came upon this forum! It's so nice to know that I'm not the only one anxiously awaiting replies! I have applied to the MSW programs at Berkeley, Portland State, University of Hawaii, NYU, Hunter, Simmons and Boston University. I applied to most very close to the deadline and have not heard back from any yet. Has anyone heard from any of these??

Good luck to all!

I was accepted to both the University of Hawai'i at Manoa and NYU, though I applied in mid October. Best of luck to you!

For those of you Columbia applicants, I phoned the financial aid office today to ask about scholarships. Unfortunately financial aid info won't go out with acceptances this week and will instead be sent separately at the end of March or early April. The wait continues!

Good luck to all!

I was accepted to both the University of Hawai'i at Manoa and NYU, though I applied in mid October. Best of luck to you!

For those of you Columbia applicants, I phoned the financial aid office today to ask about scholarships. Unfortunately financial aid info won't go out with acceptances this week and will instead be sent separately at the end of March or early April. The wait continues!

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this post. I've applied to UConn, Kean University, WashU, Southern Connecticut State, NYU, and Columbia. So far I got accepted to UConn, Kean, WashU, Southern Connecticut, and NYU, still waiting on Columbia and Southern. I also got the "we'll send out decisions later this week" email from Columbia (though I'll believe it when I see it), I've narrowed it down to UConn, WashU, NYU, and Columbia (if i get accepted) does anyone know anything about UConn? I'm pretty aware of the reps of Columbia and NYU. I've ruled out southern connecticut because they said I won't hear from them until april and thats just ridiculous, considering other places have already accepted me.