MSW2010

tem11

Hi everyone!

I am glad to see that people's admittances are coming in and you are making the right decisions for you.

So looks like I got into Columbia, Fordham, and NYU, and after exploring my options, both program wise and financially, it looks like I will be attending NYU this fall. The concentration on clinical training, the research opportunities, and the faculty interests line up with my wants, and they gave me a substantial scholarship. Good luck to everyone still making decisions and any NYU students feel free to message me. All the best to all.

I heard back today via email

Well, I tried lobbying for more aid from Columbia and got the amount increased from $4,500 to $6,000. Still not very much! So, I am trying for another appeal....I hope they don't get too annoyed!

Anyone else?

congrats to everyone who has been accepted so far... has everyone decided already where they will be in the fall???

I will be attending CUNY Hunter for this fall! I am so excited!! Is anybody else going to Hunter?

Well, I tried lobbying for more aid from Columbia and got the amount increased from $4,500 to $6,000. Still not very much! So, I am trying for another appeal....I hope they don't get too annoyed!

Anyone else?

Annie, what did you do to get them to change it? Email or call? Or camp out in their office? I really need to get on that.

Annie, what did you do to get them to change it? Email or call? Or camp out in their office? I really need to get on that.

Ha - well, if I did not currently live in Thailand I think I might camp out in front of financial aid and hold a little protest/rally for more aid!

I wrote a letter discussing my circumstances - i.e. that I'm dirt poor!

Anyway, are you going?

I mean, is anyone willing/able to attend with such costs?

I will be attending CUNY Hunter for this fall! I am so excited!! Is anybody else going to Hunter?

i havent heard from hunter yet!! i received an email asking to set up an interview. since i am out of state it says we can call to make other arrangements. thye always connect me to voicemail and never call back. did you have to do the interview??

so far i have only heard from columbia... i will end up going there if i dont find out from nyu or hunter very shortly! the deposit for columbia is due in 2 days eeeeek!!!

i havent heard from hunter yet!! i received an email asking to set up an interview. since i am out of state it says we can call to make other arrangements. thye always connect me to voicemail and never call back. did you have to do the interview??

so far i have only heard from columbia... i will end up going there if i dont find out from nyu or hunter very shortly! the deposit for columbia is due in 2 days eeeeek!!!

Hi meisman,

If you do choose to go to Columbia, do you have any idea as yo how you will afford it?

I know two days - I'm still unsure - yikes!

Yes I did have the interview. They take no more than two weeks after the interview to say whether you were accepted or not. Can you ask Columbia for an extension? They should understand. Keep calling Hunter or send them an e-mail and explain your situation.

Edited by MSW2010

On 4/12/2010 at 1:59 PM, nehaj said:

Hey everyone...!

I am from India. I got accepted at Brown School( Washington University in St. Louis) with a $20000 for 2 years. Can anyone tell me about the RA / TA /GA opportunities if they know of any? I also got an offer from Univ of Chicago ($10000 scholarship for the 1st year). I would be going for Brown I think. Any suggestions anyone? I would be glad to have your comments.

Good luck everyone :)

Hi anyone listening i would really appreciate ur perspective on this !

Ha - well, if I did not currently live in Thailand I think I might camp out in front of financial aid and hold a little protest/rally for more aid!

I wrote a letter discussing my circumstances - i.e. that I'm dirt poor!

Anyway, are you going?

I mean, is anyone willing/able to attend with such costs?

I'm glad to hear you raised your scholarship, even a little. You've inspired me.

So, I've decided to go for it...I went to the admitted students shmooze-fest and felt that it would be a really good place for me. I qualify for and am extremely interested in the international social work program, as I've written before. Also, I feel like the name and alumni network and those benefits are worth the cost. I plan on formally borrowing money from my grandmother, or if not her some other private source, and though it does practically give me an ulcer, I really think it's worth it. Hopefully I'll also be able to find more substantial $$ for the second year.

Nevertheless, I totally understand your hesitation. I think if I were just interested in something like school social work, or regular clinical practice, I would go somewhere in-state and more affordable. In my particular situation I just want to go for this incredible opportunity. As soon as I found out I was in, there was really no other alternative.

Let me know what you decide!

I'm glad to hear you raised your scholarship, even a little. You've inspired me.

So, I've decided to go for it...I went to the admitted students shmooze-fest and felt that it would be a really good place for me. I qualify for and am extremely interested in the international social work program, as I've written before. Also, I feel like the name and alumni network and those benefits are worth the cost. I plan on formally borrowing money from my grandmother, or if not her some other private source, and though it does practically give me an ulcer, I really think it's worth it. Hopefully I'll also be able to find more substantial $ for the second year.

Nevertheless, I totally understand your hesitation. I think if I were just interested in something like school social work, or regular clinical practice, I would go somewhere in-state and more affordable. In my particular situation I just want to go for this incredible opportunity. As soon as I found out I was in, there was really no other alternative.

Let me know what you decide!

Congrats on finally coming to the decision! That must feel great!

So I gather you had a positive impression at the schmooze fest?

Well, I still can't seem to convince myself that it is worth the money - even though I'm sure it is if you really put a lot into it! I know it is the kind of place where you can really get a lot from it if you put a lot into it!

I may defer. Or win the lottery tomorrow! We shall see...

Congrats to you!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'll also be attending Hunter in the fall! I'm really excited, I really wanted to go there. I have to meet with a financial aid adviser about taking out loans.

hey! i'm new to this board, but found it because i've FINALLY decided where i'm going next year for my msw. i was accepted to columbia, nyu, fordham, upenn & rutgers. after disappointing financial aid responses from columbia, nyu & upenn, i couldn't decide between fordham or rutgers. i've finally decided on fordham and i'm so excited! is anyone else attending fordham for the fall?