Fall 2016 Application Help

Terpene

So I am a little bit concerned that I am being overly ambitious about my choice in schools. Ideally I would like to attend Caltech, MIT or Northwestern. However, I have heard from some people that being from a school outside of the top 25 universities (i.e. non ivy league level schools) can be a disadvantage. Is this true? Should I change my expectations? Also if I bomb the subject GRE (below 50%) am I screwed? Thanks for your help.

American from a state university in the top 40 chemistry programs. 

BS in Chemistry Graduated in the Spring of 2015

Applying to Chemistry PhD programs 

I am interested in nanotechnology and chemical biology

GRE: Will be taking in the summer 

Subject GRE: Will be taking in April

GPA - 3.8

Research - 2 years of undergraduate research in organic chemistry where I published 3 second author papers in JACS. One of the papers was spotlighted in JACS. I am currently doing a 2 year fellowship at the NIH doing translational molecular biology research (I don't like it as much as my undergraduate research but it is still interesting). I have one small publication (4th author in a small journal) so far and will hopefully have at least 1 more publication from the NIH before I apply.  

Presentations - 1 poster at a regional conference where I won first place in my division and 1 poster at my undergraduate institution. 1 published presentation at a national conference (third author).

Awards- NIH fellowship, ACS award for outstanding undergraduate research. Graduated with honors (completed honors thesis)

LOR- I should have 1 outstanding letter, 1 Very very good letter, and 1 Good letter

Dream Schools

MIT

Harvard

Northwestern 

Berkley

Cal Tech

Schools I would love to attend

UCLA

UT Austin

Wisconsin

Illinois

Schools That I would also like

UC Irvine

UNC

UC Boulder

Yale

Hopkins

U Chicago

I am only a undergraduate junior, but I have some perspective on being from a non ivy league. I am a chem major and go to a state school no where near the top chem programs, and the top chemistry students at my school have still gone too top graduate schools (Colombia, UChicago, etc.) 

Most, or alot of, undergrads don't publish. The fact that you have 3 publications should really make you stand out. I might have one coming up soon, and my professor is really stressing how helpful it will be to my applications when I apply next year

I applied for the Fall 2016 admissions cycle and am smack in the middle of my visitation weekends at some schools comparable to your dream schools.  Generally speaking it is absolutely not necessary to come from a very prestigious undergrad institution, and in fact many of the people accepted to top universities come from state schools or small liberal arts schools.  I'd say if you have a competitive GPA (3.7+) and GRE scores you have a very good shot at all of your dream schools.  Three JACS papers is quite impressive and should put you in a good spot.

I go to one of your dream schools and have met many people in the chemistry department. A lot come from top schools, but there are also a good number of people who aren't from top schools. I've even met a couple of people who come from schools that probably aren't ranked by USNWR at all. I would say that for you though it's more important to have stellar GRE scores (I don't have knowledge on how important subject tests are since I didn't have to take one) than it is for people from top undergrad institutions... but other than that, with your qualifications, you seem to have as good of a chance as anyone else!