CGS Master's 2016-2017

rushistory

Hi All,

If a topic for this has already been started please forgive (and redirect) me!

Are there any Canadians out there who want to stress / commiserate about the fact we won't know about funding through the CGS Master's until April 1st.

I'm not a current grad student and applied for CGS (SSHRC) funding for three schools- 2 of which I have already been admitted two, the other I should hear from either today or early next week. It's a significant factor in my decision and the waiting process is killing me . . . 

My spouse got waitlisted for OGS so the wait is killing us in a different way... we need all those NSERC recipients to turn down their OGS offers!! It really is frustrating that OGS is announced before NSERC/SSHRC, seems like a waste of admin time to process all the OGS award acceptances only to have them turned down 6 weeks later...

It must be stressful when the scholarships are necessary for you to make your decision! I was choosing between two schools and one had a significantly lower funding package: the higher one was almost double the lower one. I'm glad that the more funded school was also better for me in every aspect, but obviously that isn't always the case.

Did you also apply to OGS? The school I'm going to releases them both on the same day, which I think is a good idea. 

Ya the way they are doing OGS and CGS-M is so silly... OGS is announced first in which most of the those who get awarded it also will probably get awarded CGS-M but that gets announced a month later...??? meaning they'll turn down OGS... meanwhile all those who got waitlisted for OGS are hoping all those who got OGS also get CGS-M so that we might have a shot at some funding! (or obviously hoping to get awarded CGS-M also)... just so stressful agh.

• 2 weeks later...

Got this email yesterday afternoon but it was in my junk folder so I didn't see it until today!:

Funding Opportunity: Canada Graduate Scholarships-Master’s Program

La version française suit.

This is an automated email message. Please do not reply.

The status of your application has changed. As of April 1, consult the Application Overview page in the Research Portal to view the results.

I got this email a couple hours ago: 

The status of your application has changed. Please return to the Application Overview page in the Research Portal to view the results.

I was deemed ineligible due to my grades. So it seems like you've either got it, or you're an alternate!

4 minutes ago, jamesaly said:

I got this email a couple hours ago: 

The status of your application has changed. Please return to the Application Overview page in the Research Portal to view the results.

I was deemed ineligible due to my grades. So it seems like you've either got it, or you're an alternate!

I got this one as well, that didn't say April 1st. But it was for one of four programs, one that I didn't get into (I'm just applying to schools this year).

I guess they send a separate email each time one school changes status?

10 minutes ago, eternallyephemeral said:

I got this one as well, that didn't say April 1st. But it was for one of four programs, one that I didn't get into (I'm just applying to schools this year).

I guess they send a separate email each time one school changes status?

Yes each school assesses the application you submitted to them separately, it's not a general application. I think it says April 1st on mine cause I'm an internal applicant since I'm already in a program (joint MA-PhD) and cause I didn't get sshrc last year I can still get it next year which is technically considered MA level. Fingers crossed!

Edited by LebaneseKafta

Just now, LebaneseKafta said:

Yes each school assesses the application you submitted to them separately, it's not a general application. I think it says April 1st on mine cause I'm an internal applicant since I'm already in a program (joint MA-PhD) and cause I didn't sshrc get it last year I can still get it next year which is technically considered MA level. Fingers crossed!

Ah, I understand. So your second year could be considered a masters year, even though its an MA-PhD together? I'm entering a program like that, but the two MA years seem separate from the four PhD years. I guess either way you can apply to CGSM twice, but only hold it once, correct?

Awesome! Good luck!

Went to talk to the admin of my grad program and found out I was waitlisted :( Mixed feelings ahh. Good luck to everyone on Friday...

I also received the email about status change this afternoon btw. 

2 hours ago, nuih said:

Went to talk to the admin of my grad program and found out I was waitlisted :( Mixed feelings ahh. Good luck to everyone on Friday...

I also received the email about status change this afternoon btw. 

Don't give up yet, @nuih. I do believe there is a strong chance of getting off the waitlist, and from what I have seen in prior years there is quite a lot of movement from the waitlist in April as some people are awarded 3-5 SSHRCs and end up declining all but one. I was waitlisted last year (and experienced the same mixed feelings you are describing, but take heart! That is still a huge compliment in and of itself. But yes, it also comes with disappointment) but within 7 days I received another email about a status change and lo and behold I was awarded a CGS-M in the program that I was currently enrolled in!

Good luck to all - and also a head's up, if the online portal works the same as in previous years, "April 1st" refers to 12:00am Eastern Canada Time. Thus if you are west coast your results could be in the portal at 8pm on March 31st!

1 minute ago, LebaneseKafta said:

haha the site crashed:rolleyes: is anyone getting an unexpected error when they try to login?

I feel like they should just call it what it is.

"We are experiencing our annual CGS-M 12:00 AM error"