CGS Master's 2016-2017

rushistory

1 minute ago, namastayinalive said:

Maybe they're updating in batches...so we're not getting results at the same time. Crashamundo :)

Maybe! It also seems like everyone here that posted applied for a SSHRC. I applied for an NSERC. Did you? Maybe NSERC hasn't been posted yet? Just a crazy, late night, speculative idea haha 

1 minute ago, SpiritIsMyMantra said:

Maybe! It also seems like everyone here that posted applied for a SSHRC. I applied for an NSERC. Did you? Maybe NSERC hasn't been posted yet? Just a crazy, late night, speculative idea haha 

Hmmm, good point, I applied for NSERC as well. Not that late here in BC! Best of luck!

6 minutes ago, SpiritIsMyMantra said:

Mine is still stuck on 'received by administrator' as well! What does that mean?! :s

Did you open the application? Because mine said that as well, but only on the first page. Once you click into your applications it should say something else. 

5 minutes ago, doefficient said:

I think I've read somewhere that you should accept in May if you're already enrolled in graduate school. 

Is that just based on financial needs reason, or is it a policy? I'm not financially in need and technically my program ends in August next year before I matriculate to my PhD. I guess I should see what my department thinks.

EDIT: Nvm I found the answer on their website:

http://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/funding-financement/using-utiliser/guide-A/regulations-reglements-eng.aspx

Start Date

If you have already begun the program of studies for which you were awarded funding, you must take up your award on the first day of the May or September academic term following the announcement of the results.

If you have not yet begun the program of studies for which you were awarded funding, you may take up your award on the first day of the May, September or January academic term following announcement of the results.

If you anticipate that you will not be able to complete all requirements of your previous degree by December 31 (including, if applicable, successful defence and submission of the corrected copy of your thesis), you must decline the award. However, you may apply again in the following competition as long as you remain eligible.

Edited by Oshawott

Applied out of undergrad and surprisingly received it at one and "Alternate" at another. I'd rather go to the school I got an "alternate" on, what are the chances of getting off the waitlist?

"In order to take advantage of the full value and duration of the award, award recipients who are already enrolled in their program of study are encouraged to take up their award on the earliest available start date; otherwise, it is possible that they may complete their degree before the end of the award. In this case, they will be required to terminate the award (refer to the section Termination of Award)."

http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/Guides-Guides/CGSMAward-BESCMaward_eng.asp, under "Start Date" :)

Just now, doefficient said:

"In order to take advantage of the full value and duration of the award, award recipients who are already enrolled in their program of study are encouraged to take up their award on the earliest available start date; otherwise, it is possible that they may complete their degree before the end of the award. In this case, they will be required to terminate the award (refer to the section Termination of Award)."

http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/Guides-Guides/CGSMAward-BESCMaward_eng.asp, under "Start Date" :)

Thanks for that! I'm in a two-year MA and planning to do my PhD at the same institution, so my supervisor phrased it more in the sense of "I suggest starting in May, and that way if you get CGS-D, you can also start it in May" but in my mind its more like "Chances are, I'm not getting CGS-D my first round so I might need the money then"

2 minutes ago, doefficient said:

Sorry, I hadn't seen that you found the answer before my post! You have a better change at CGS-D now that you've gotten CGS-M so don't count yourself out! Congrats!! :)

Thanks!

28 minutes ago, Jimtastic said:

Applied out of undergrad and surprisingly received it at one and "Alternate" at another. I'd rather go to the school I got an "alternate" on, what are the chances of getting off the waitlist?

How long do you have to wait until informing the schools for your admission? The deadline to accept CGS-M isn't until April 21st so I'd say wait a bit since there's probably a few people who had multiple CGS-M offers who will have to decline as soon as they accept one.

Received an offer for the University of Regina - the school I will be attending in the fall!! Beyond ecstatic!! :):)

Good luck to everyone!

Edited by TKYU