CGS Master's 2016-2017

rushistory

23 minutes ago, jewellerytears said:

I found out that I am #10 on the alternate list for University of Victoria.

Good luck! 10 isnt too far! 
I am 70 overall (we only take 41 though, so I have 30 people ahead of me).
You have good chances :) I spoke to my program and they said if you are top 20 after those already selected, you have a high chance  

6 minutes ago, Arkel_angel said:

Good luck! 10 isnt too far! 
I am 70 overall (we only take 41 though, so I have 30 people ahead of me).
You have good chances :) I spoke to my program and they said if you are top 20 after those already selected, you have a high chance  

One thing I never really understood - that is 41 institution wide, right?

Does that mean everyone is ranked within the institution on a single 'list.'  I always thought that the departments themselves doled them out ...

Anyone got any clues?

ex: A PoliSci applicant is offered and declines.  Does someone waitlisted in EngLit move up one or does a waitlisted PoliSci application move ...?

Edited by hojoojoh
clarification

Today I received a status change email and my status had changed from 'not offered' to 'alternate'. As far as I know, this is impossible!? Was there maybe a glitch and I was on the alternate list all along, or perhaps the entire offered and alternate list declined? Has anyone heard of this occurring before?

14 hours ago, hojoojoh said:

One thing I never really understood - that is 41 institution wide, right?

Does that mean everyone is ranked within the institution on a single 'list.'  I always thought that the departments themselves doled them out ...

Anyone got any clues?

ex: A PoliSci applicant is offered and declines.  Does someone waitlisted in EngLit move up one or does a waitlisted PoliSci application move ...?

From my understanding our applications are ranked at a departmental level. HOWEVER, this ranking is just a suggestion. The SGS then "re-scores" and "re-ranks" all the applicants from all departments. Depending on the school the SGS may or may not inform the department how their applicants ranked on the school-wide level (I know this because Toronto told me I had ranked highly at the departmental level and the SGS told them I had also been well ranked in the school-wide competition. However, at Carleton the department told me they had no information regarding how I ranked school-wide). From what I understand there are no quotas per department, applicants are given an individual score and then ranked based on the score. So if a PoliSci person is offered and declines, the next person on this list is offered, regardless of what department they are in.

Hope this makes sense...

1 hour ago, namastayinalive said:

Not offered at UBC :( Looks like statuses will start to be updated soon. Good luck everyone!

I'm really sorry :(. That sucks! 

Status might change, however they can keep offering to alternates until January... It will depend on whether all awards have been accepted. Therefore it's until all awards are accepted, or January. Whichever comes first.

1 hour ago, Arkel_angel said:

I'm really sorry :(. That sucks! 

Status might change, however they can keep offering to alternates until January... It will depend on whether all awards have been accepted. Therefore it's until all awards are accepted, or January. Whichever comes first.

Thanks, I didn't know that!

On 4/9/2016 at 6:59 PM, Arkel_angel said:

So.... Anyone think I still have a chance for a SSHRC? I'm 70 and we only take 44.... Concordia University. I keep trying to math out the different probabilities.... 

I didn't check my ranking but I just got my offer for SSHRC from Western yesterday! There are definitely still chances that you could get it so good luck!

2 hours ago, zitaltw said:

I didn't check my ranking but I just got my offer for SSHRC from Western yesterday! There are definitely still chances that you could get it so good luck!

hey thanks!

Did you only apply to Western or were you also offered at another school too? Maybe I should have applied to more than one school! 

Being an alternate sucks. But I suppose this is the way of the road in academia... It only gets worse as we get higher up, too. SSHRC, historically, has mostly funded white folks who are not in financial need.  So perhaps there is some solidarity in not getting SSHRC?

Going to be a massive killjoy here, but: Congrats to all the people who got SSHRC who are not rich, white, straight, cis men! 

I'm actually an alternate for CIHR, which may be the worst of the bunch. Only 15 offered at my university :(  As for your last comment (which is a little surprising, but definitely not shocking) - I'm definitely not rich... :P

Also, one of my good buddies just got a SSHRC and from that list he would only be able to tick off man. So hopefully that's a sign of progress; but with an n of 1 who can say!

1 hour ago, noadlersahob said:

I got my offer off the alternate list this morning (UBC)! Glad to not be in limbo anymore.

Omg!! Congratulations :D

Did you apply for other schools too? Arg, what i would hate the most is when either: 1) you get the award, but not for the school your really want (alternate for that one) and have to wait and hope you get it before the 21 days are over. 

Or

2) you only applied to one school and keep your fingers crossed you'll be next

• 1 year later...
On 2016-04-05 at 8:34 PM, cicadid said:

Today I received a status change email and my status had changed from 'not offered' to 'alternate'. As far as I know, this is impossible!? Was there maybe a glitch and I was on the alternate list all along, or perhaps the entire offered and alternate list declined? Has anyone heard of this occurring before?

This happened to me as well... did you ever figure out why it happened? Did you end up being offered?