Chem GRE - Highly recommended

Bioinorganic78

Several graduate schools I am looking into have listed the chemistry GRE subject test as highly recommended. I am planning not to take the test (the less standardized testing the better), but I am curious if it will really lessen my application or chances for the top student fellowships if I dont. 

I am a Chem major (small state college), 3.8+ gpa, and will have research experience and possibly a publication by the time I apply.

I think it really depends upon the individual schools you are applying to and also the strength of your application. From what I have heard from professors, it is one of the least important aspects of the application and other factors (LORs, research experience, pubs, etc.) will carry a lot more weight.  This varies by institution though, so it may be important to look at each school individually, you can probably get some idea of this by looking at the admissions survey page and checking the stats on people accepted to programs that you are interested in.

I personally came across this same dilemma and chose not to take the subject GRE, and was still accepted into programs which list it as recommended. It is important to note, however, that some schools require the subject test; because of this there were a couple schools I was interested in which I was unable to apply to.