PhD application all good but the GRE! HELP!!!

Navy_GRE

I'm out of options with my PHD applications.  I applied to 15 schools and had what I thought was a stellar PhD application package, 20 years military experience, solid SOP, great LOR's, transcripts are excellent to outstanding from three separate and accredited graduate programs and getting rejected left and right.  I had Univ of MN tell me flat out that GRE scores were the problem.  (157 V/ 154 Q)   I've taken it twice this past summer, used Magoosh and the 5lb Manhattan Test prep and cannot get my scores to elevate.  At this point, I'm guessing that there are five culprits:  1) GRE scores, 2) inability of the schools to translate military experience to academia 3) lack of research fit with the research department (I'm going for Business Strategy) and 4) lack of a university/professorial advocate at the school.     Anyone have any suggestions?  I'm out of options at this point.  

Honestly, I would do three things. 1) See if you can find programs that don't require the GRE. 2) See if any programs will accept something like the GMAT instead (if you're going for business strategy this may be an option). 3) Make sure that your research fit is sound. If you do those things, you should be more successful if you reapply. Do you already have a master's degree? Do you have relevant research experience?

In general, you shouldn't expect employers or grad programs to do the work of translating your military experience to anything else. It's your job to explain (translate) it for/to them. If they have to do the work, then you're going to be less successful. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply "rising_star".  Yea- I have 3 Masters degrees and did a fellowship for a year which involved a lot of research.  I think you're spot on with #3.  I may have gotten too specific in my SOP and that may have been a dealbreaker for some schools regarding research fit. 

As far as the GRE scores go--

Are you currently attending undergrad? If so, they likely have a career center/learning center or equivalent that can work with you specifically on your GRE (for free!). Other than that, a meeting or two with a tutor may be helpful to identify what your exact problems are (call a good local university for recommendations on GRE tutors). Do you run out of time? Does your mind go blank when you get to the exam? Do you overthink everything and complicate it for yourself? Or do you just have problems with the material itself? What are your problem areas/most difficult types of questions/most difficult topics? From there, you can work on your specific weaknesses. ETS has free software available on their website called PowerPrep II. It is an imitation of the GRE itself and gives your computer the same screen, the same calculator, the same GRE questions from the actual GRE company, etc. This can be a valuable tool for judging improvement/continued issues.

Beyond that, I can only recommend that you look either at less competitive PhDs or at doing a Masters first. Good luck!