CV question about academic rank

Hi!

First let me say that my question isn't SOP related, but this seems like the most suitable place here to ask it.

So I graduated first in my undergraduate program (first as in had the highest cumulative average), which is something I definitely want to note on my CV. However, my university didn't formally rank students, and I was only able to discover my ranking after seeking it out with someone in academic advising. In this case, since the rank doesn't show on my transcript, should I attach a letter from the academic adviser which states that in fact I did graduate first in my program? Should I instead say something like 'documentation available upon request?' Or should I just put the rank and not add anything else about it?

Thank you!

Since your school does not rank students, I would not add a rank on your CV. It is not going to be relevant to your next program anyway, and anyone in a graduate admissions department who sees the school you are graduating from will realize that the school does not rank. Include your GPA, which should tell the story clearly enough.

Thanks for the responses!

I have thought about not mentioning my rank, but my program was fairly large and I think it makes me stand out to say I was the top out of around 200 people. I am also an international student applying to US schools, and I don't want there to be any misconceptions about how good my grades are; where I went to school a 90 percent (close to my average), for example, is a very high grade given to only a small fraction of students,but I know that in many US schools a 90 doesn't reflect nearly the same level of achievement. Of course those in admissions may well be aware of the difference in grading systems, but I don't know if I want to take the chance that they're not.

• 2 weeks later...

One more question (I know that I've probably overthinking this)!

Does anyone think it makes much of a difference whether I write "Program Rank: 1 out of x" vs "90 percent (the highest cumulative average among all x Political Science majors)" ?

Edited by Cat Time