On writing sample, which to submit?

Grek

Hi, guys

I am applying to phd program of cultural anthropology for 2017 fall.

I now have well-developed (at least I think well-developed) research proposal (used to apply other school in last application but did not make it) and some average term papers. Which one I should submit as writing sample? Any suggestion as normally research proposal seems not to be an options?

LOL

Oh wait, now I see what you're on about. Your research proposal does not count as your writing sample... If you have the feedback from your profs on your papers then rewrite your paper with their suggestions in mind and submit it as your writing sample.

14 hours ago, Bschaefer said:

I agree with @jamesaly, submit the one you think shows your best writing and that earned the best mark. Going back and combing through spelling and prose errors can only benefit you as well.

but i still think my research proposal is the best of mine lol…

19 hours ago, jamesaly said:

Oh wait, now I see what you're on about. Your research proposal does not count as your writing sample... If you have the feedback from your profs on your papers then rewrite your paper with their suggestions in mind and submit it as your writing sample.

thx,

i just have this concerns 'cos some schools in Canada accept  research proposal as writing sample.

just wonder what the situation is in US

thx 4 for ur sugguestion

For American PhD Anthro programs, you will need to submit a sample of analytic writing -- a course paper, a section of your senior thesis, or some other kind of writing where you use evidence to advance an original argument. Your research proposal may be your best writing, but it is not the appropriate genre for a writing sample. PhD programs will want evidence that you already have experience conducting some kind of research (whether based on primary or secondary bibliographic sources, or original fieldwork) and can write clearly-argued conclusions based on that research. It sounds like a final course paper might work well in your situation?