UC Berkeley, MSW Fall 2016

pickfights

Hey all! Thought I would start a thread about UC Berkeley for this fall since i didn't see one. Who else has been accepted?! :D or is waiting? Alums, care to share tips, tricks, advice? So excited!

I am currently on the waitlist for Berkeley. Hoping I will get in! I applied for the CMH track (which I've heard is one on the more competitive tracks :/ ) hopefully I'll hear something soon! I'm anxiously waiting. 

Hi!  I just got accepted into Berkeley's Title IV-E Child Welfare Program!!!  Yayyy! I committed today, so it is officially official! Excited to attend with you @pickfights!!! And @MSW2016 I have also heard great outcome stories for people who were wait listed to Berkeley!  Keep up the hope!  I'll be crossing my fingers for you :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone! I am currently in my undergrad with 1 more year to go. In a few more months I will be starting the application process. I have done quiet a bit of research and so far the schools i'm interested in are:

UC Berkeley

Smith College

University of Michigan

University of Denver

University of Washington

Portland state University

If you don't mind me asking, those of you that have been accepted to UC Berkeley what are your stats? What do you feel helped you stand out? 

Thanks so so much :):):) 

I had a 3.8 ugrad GPA, graduated in 2014, did a lot of volunteering in ugrad and one year of americorps. i would definitely recommend waiting a year or two after graduating to apply it makes you much more competitive and gives you good experience and perspective. i also think what helps is having a very clear direction and population you want to work with. all of my volunteer and work experience was generally in the same area, so i think that helped a lot too. they want to know you know the field and have a clear path. of course you don't have to stick to the same population, but they want to know you know why you're here. i also recommend going to their info sessions and stuff! really helpful. 

congrats @Sbjj0701!!! i'm so excited to start. 

19 hours ago, paigesparky said:

Hey everyone! I am currently in my undergrad with 1 more year to go. In a few more months I will be starting the application process. I have done quiet a bit of research and so far the schools i'm interested in are:

UC Berkeley

Smith College

University of Michigan

University of Denver

University of Washington

Portland state University

If you don't mind me asking, those of you that have been accepted to UC Berkeley what are your stats? What do you feel helped you stand out? 

Thanks so so much :):):) 

Hi @paigesparky! I was accepted to UC Berkeley, UW and PSU (out of the schools you are interested in).  My GPA in undergrad was a 3.7, and I graduated back in 2012.  I volunteered some during my senior year of college, but most of my professional experience came afterwards--I worked a domestic violence shelter for 2 years, then as a mental health counselor at an elementary school for 1 school year, and now I work for a mentoring program that works with youth in foster care.  I second what @pickfights says about waiting a year or two to gain more experience; most schools look for those who have extensive work or volunteer experience.  UC Berkeley was also the only school that required the full GRE exam (although SFSU requires the writing score), but there are rumors that this past year may be the last year they require that for admissions (lucky you!)...although you definitely still want to check in with them about this.  My best advice is to gain some good volunteer or work experience starting now, and try to narrow your interests within the field of social work.  Most schools require you submit a writing portion (other than your statement of purpose) that asks you about a specific sector of social work you are interested in. I hope this is helpful to you!  I am absolutely open to more questions you have...just comment of PM me.  Best of luck to you! 

@pickfights @Sbjj0701 Thanks so much for your responses! This is really helpful. I have been thinking I might want to do a year in-between undergrad and MSW but at the same time I would like to have a steady income as soon as possible, the idea of going back to school full-time after having a steady flow of money for a year or two also makes the whole process sound more difficult. It's nice already being in the college student groove. 

I've also heard mixed reviews about spending the money for a top school if you are on the clinical track, hearing that it is more vital for people focused on policy where as for someone who is interested in interpersonal/ clinical a state school would be just fine for a much smaller ticket price. This is also something i'm torn on because I want to have as many opportunities from my program as possible!  

• 2 months later...