Fall 2017 Applicants

Anybody else feel like they can't get anything done till they hear some news? My mentor says that I'm going crazy with stressing about the decisions and its hurting my progress in my MA. I blame Trump, racism, and capitalism. I also blame myself. I just want to be paid very little money in exchange for reading/writing/teaching books. Why is that so hard to get?

1 hour ago, jungThug said:

Anybody else feel like they can't get anything done till they hear some news? My mentor says that I'm going crazy with stressing about the decisions and its hurting my progress in my MA. I blame Trump, racism, and capitalism. I also blame myself. I just want to be paid very little money in exchange for reading/writing/teaching books. Why is that so hard to get?

I definitely identify with this. Luckily this semester I'm just working in the Writing Center, auditing a French class, and working on my thesis, but my ability to focus on my thesis has absolutely been diminished by the stress of not knowing if I'll get in anywhere. Plus, I spent the weekend in DC for the March.

Starting today, I'm trying to throw myself into my work (and my attempt at losing a good chunk of weight) in order to distract myself from worrying about PhD apps and the fate of the free world. 

I may not be the best person to give advice, since I'm also struggling, but maybe trying to fully immerse yourself in your work will help alleviate some stress. Good luck!

3 hours ago, jungThug said:

I'm going crazy with stressing about the decisions and its hurting my progress in my MA. I blame Trump, racism, and capitalism. I also blame myself.

Yup. Hurt my last semester a little bit. I'm plain stupid! 

On 19/1/2017 at 4:14 PM, Sunsy said:

Did anyone else who is applying to Notre Dame get a call about their Interview weekend (I assume that's what it is)? Just got the call today.

On 19/1/2017 at 5:43 PM, Caien said:

No interview notice for me :( what's your sub field? Did a POI call you or the DGS?

I got one I got one!!! :D

Completely over the moon - an interview isn't an offer obviously but I struck out last year, this is the first good news I've gotten!

29 minutes ago, Caien said:

I got one I got one!!! :D

Completely over the moon - an interview isn't an offer obviously but I struck out last year, this is the first good news I've gotten!

This is absolutely AWESOME news, Caien! Way to go!! :lol:

1 hour ago, englishing said:

Lurker here. Have not allowed myself on this site until I got the strange Chicago interview email last week, and now I must know what the deal is. Has anyone heard back yet?

Not me.

I've been checking my email compulsively for the past two hours and am starting to resent U Chicago. Who thought it would be a good idea to inflict such a procedure upon already anxious applicants?

10 minutes ago, pippi said:

Not me.

I've been checking my email compulsively for the past two hours and am starting to resent U Chicago. Who thought it would be a good idea to inflict such a procedure upon already anxious applicants?

Seriously! I haven't heard back either, and I'm losing my mind a little bit. Ambiguous emails and Doodle polls are probably the worst possible way to go about conducting/planning interviews.

13 minutes ago, pippi said:

Not me.

It's pretty cruel! Like, glad to be included on some sort of list, at least as a metric for other programs, but also totally nauseating. 

5 minutes ago, claritus said:

Seriously! I haven't heard back either, and I'm losing my mind a little bit. Ambiguous emails and Doodle polls are probably the worst possible way to go about conducting/planning interviews.

ugh yes.

7 minutes ago, englishing said:

It's pretty cruel! Like, glad to be included on some sort of list, at least as a metric for other programs, but also totally nauseating. 

i'm also glad to be included. but on the other hand, now that i've gotten my hopes up, it feels like i'm watching them get crushed in slow motion. 

1 hour ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

This is absolutely AWESOME news, Caien! Way to go!! :lol:

Thanks Wyatt!

17 minutes ago, loganondorf said:

Congratulations!!! Will you be on campus on the 10th?

I'll be a skype interview - the email said they're only allowed to fly in domestic students to campus, but to be honest having to go over would be an added stress; at least now I only have to worry about the 30-60 mins or so we'll be online. Are you going? What's your subfield?

2 minutes ago, Caien said:

Thanks Wyatt!

I'll be a skype interview - the email said they're only allowed to fly in domestic students to campus, but to be honest having to go over would be an added stress; at least now I only have to worry about the 30-60 mins or so we'll be online. Are you going? What's your subfield?

Ah, that makes sense. And that's a good point -- I'm sure you'll be able to nail the Skype interview! I'm a medievalist, so it'll be an interesting visit, as a lot of the medieval faculty are on leave with fellowships. I'm so grateful that it's still a few weeks away, so I'll have at least a bit of time to prepare.

5 minutes ago, claritus said:

Ok I'm giving up on Chicago now. I'll check my email again tonight, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

seems like you have the right attitude. i will try to emulate. 

if anyone else hears back, please send smoke signals and put us out of our misery.

1 hour ago, loganondorf said:

Ah, that makes sense. And that's a good point -- I'm sure you'll be able to nail the Skype interview! I'm a medievalist, so it'll be an interesting visit, as a lot of the medieval faculty are on leave with fellowships. I'm so grateful that it's still a few weeks away, so I'll have at least a bit of time to prepare.

I'm actually earlier - they've asked for this week or next week. I might drop you a PM after the visit weekend to get your impressions?

Congrats @Caien and @loganondorf! And thanks, Wyatt! I'll be there on the 10th as well, so feel free to PM me as well Caien. Judging from your signature, we have somewhat similar interests, even though I'm by no means applying for the same things you are.  

6 minutes ago, pippi said:

seems like you have the right attitude. i will try to emulate. 

if anyone else hears back, please send smoke signals and put us out of our misery.

I'm all outta good karma today, but I couldn't be more on board with the smoke signals.

Maybe this is a good thing though—the UChicago campus has such a massive private police force it's basically militarized. I like the idea of the program, but the racist/class-based policing of the university leaves me cold. 

1 hour ago, Sunsy said:

Judging from your signature, we have somewhat similar interests, even though I'm by no means applying for the same things you are.  

I think I'm already out of sync with technology, and I'm in my mid-twenties. I've seen several people talk about a signature, but I don't think I know what you all are referring to... Help a lady out?

12 hours ago, TeaOverCoffee said:

I think I'm already out of sync with technology, and I'm in my mid-twenties. I've seen several people talk about a signature, but I don't think I know what you all are referring to... Help a lady out?

Its the info that shows up beneath our comments, some people have tallies on acceptances/rejections etc. You can add one in accounts settings. I think there's also an option to hide/show signatures.