Decision between Penn State and McGill University

Fossey

Hi everyone!

I really need some advice. I have been accepted into two PhD programs and I am now torn between which one to pick :wacko:  The programs are both Biology PhD Programs at Penn State University and McGill University. They also would both involve working with animal/plant genetics and evolutionary biology.

Here are some pros and cons that I have considered so far...

McGill Pros:

- It's in Montreal...

- The biology program collaborates with the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute (STRI) - so I would be associated with STRI and receive funding from there

- I am in love with the research projects! 

Cons:

-  Offered a lot less funding than Penn State, (just enough to live on and pay tuition with)

- I am worried that a Canadian university could hurt my prospects of returning to the US to go into academia? Please tell me this is untrue....

- The school name/brand is perhaps not as well-known as Penn State

Penn State Pros:

- They have offered me lots of funding

- It is in the US and, from what I understand, a well-rounded public state school. It might be easier for me to stay in the US afterwards too.

- Advisor is extremely excited to have me join his lab. Also, the program and faculty seem very invested in me

Cons:

- I am not a fan of the location. My family lives in Europe and Montreal is much easier to travel from than State College.

- I will admit… I just don’t feel as excited about this program as McGill.

My ultimate long-term goals are to continue on to a good post-doc position in the US and then eventually build my way up in academia. Which program would be the best option for me? Or would it be better to wait another year and gain more experience and apply to stronger programs? I am starting to realize how competitive academia is, and I am worried now that I need to go to more prestigious schools to even have a chance in the US. Also, I am worried that since McGill is in Canada, it might hurt my future career in the US. 

Please! Anyone out there – help me make the best decision for myself! :D

Edited by Fossey

McGill is a well-known university in the US, so I wouldn't worry about that. I would be a bit concerned about having enough money to live on if you take the McGill offer but, other than that, go to Montreal and don't look back!

Being from Montreal, I never quite understood why foreigners liked the city. The traffic is unbearable, it's incredibly windy and cold in the winter, the police will give you fines for just about anything, pollution is bad, crime is high, etc. 

I think you are excited about going to McGill but you are a bit nervous about going to a non-US institution. McGill is one of the top 3 institutions in Canada so in terms of prestige in academia, it is better than penn state. However, I did not major in Bio, so maybe penn state has better reputation in your field. If that is the case, consider penn. 

Thanks everyone for the replies!

The funding from McGill is definitely a concern. I need to really think about that.

It is not that I am in love with Montreal - I just think that I would fit better there than at State College, Pennsylvania :)

I do think I am a bit scared about my competition and leaving the US. The bio program I applied to at McGill is relatively new, so it is hard to say how successful previous grad students have been. And for Penn State, my advisor barely just became a professor so there is a risk there too. The good thing about McGill is that my advisor is very established and has published lots of great papers.

Ultimately, my question is... Do I even have a chance to go into academia if I earn a PhD from any of these schools? I am looking at the posts in this forum, and so many people have gotten accepted into HUGE and amazing schools. I am competing with people who go to Harvard, Yale, Columbia... Should I also have applied to these places? I didn't even think about it..

I am starting to hate that I didn't apply to more schools and I am now worried that I should turn down these offers, wait, and then re-apply to even better schools if I really want this academia route.. 

Edited by Fossey

A friend of mine (Canadian though) is doing their PhD in an arts subject at McGill. They said their funding is terrible but they can make it up with TAing. You're probably getting more than them I suppose.

Is it possible for you to check where your POI's PhD graduates end up? Some labs are quite open about that and if they had no problem finding an academic position, you shouldn't be too worried about it.

Both Penn State and McGill are respected institutions so, attending either of those isn't going to automatically mean you can't/won't be able to get an academic position, though some of that depends on where you want to work afterward (which is admittedly hard to know when you're just starting).

9 hours ago, Fossey said:

I do think I am a bit scared about my competition and leaving the US. The bio program I applied to at McGill is relatively new, so it is hard to say how successful previous grad students have been. And for Penn State, my advisor barely just became a professor so there is a risk there too. The good thing about McGill is that my advisor is very established and has published lots of great papers.

Ultimately, my question is... Do I even have a chance to go into academia if I earn a PhD from any of these schools? I am looking at the posts in this forum, and so many people have gotten accepted into HUGE and amazing schools. I am competing with people who go to Harvard, Yale, Columbia... Should I also have applied to these places? I didn't even think about it.

If your concern is getting a post-doc afterwards, going to a globally renowned school (which McGill is) with an established professor who has connections goes a long way.

If you want to know if you have a chance at getting into academia and McGill's program is relatively new, but the advisor is established, look at where their students have gone. Where your advisor's students go is a better indication of where you'll end up than where people in your program in general goes.

• 7 years later...