Watson school of biological sciences?

arseus

Hey, i'm applying to watson school of biological sciences for their genetics program. But i haven't really heard people talk about it on discussion forums as they do about other universities. how does the program compare with the rest of the top-ranked programs out there?

also, they give the applicant an option to apply to two programs at the stony brook university as well, as both schools share their programs with cold spring harbor. and they've asked for two separate statement for each. what should i do? should the two statements bear the same research interests or is it advisable for them to be different?

Thanks in advance!

• 2 months later...

Hey, i'm applying to watson school of biological sciences for their genetics program. But i haven't really heard people talk about it on discussion forums as they do about other universities. how does the program compare with the rest of the top-ranked programs out there?

also, they give the applicant an option to apply to two programs at the stony brook university as well, as both schools share their programs with cold spring harbor. and they've asked for two separate statement for each. what should i do? should the two statements bear the same research interests or is it advisable for them to be different?

Thanks in advance!

Hello Arseus,

Sorry if this reply is a little late to be helpful, but I spent a summer doing research at CSHL as an undergraduate and can personally vouch that it is an incredible place to do biology. It is small (8-12 grad students accepted a year) and you only know about it if you do biology, but within the biological community is is VERY well thought of. I graduated from an ivy league institution in biology, but I swear it has been even more valuable to my biology career to be linked to CSHL. If you did decide to apply and got an interview offer for February 18-21 I look forward to meeting you there.

Tsujiru, I was actually wondering if you know - can the students admitted at SUNY Stony Brook do their research at Watson? I'm asking because on Stony Brook faculty page some PIs are listed under Cold Spring Harbor lab. Thanks!

Yes, that is exactly how it works. Since the number of students admitted to the Watson School is typically so small, quite a number of the students doing their PhD's there are actually from Stony Brook. The only difference is in the coursework you do those first two years.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Arseus,

Sorry if this reply is a little late to be helpful, but I spent a summer doing research at CSHL as an undergraduate and can personally vouch that it is an incredible place to do biology. It is small (8-12 grad students accepted a year) and you only know about it if you do biology, but within the biological community is is VERY well thought of. I graduated from an ivy league institution in biology, but I swear it has been even more valuable to my biology career to be linked to CSHL. If you did decide to apply and got an interview offer for February 18-21 I look forward to meeting you there.

Unfortunately, i wasn't admitted into the program at watson. I'm waiting to hear from Stony Brook though....my research interests match their program better actually. I'm guessing you got an invite for the interview at CSHL...congrats!

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...
On 18/2/2011 at 5:30 PM, letsdoneuro said:

anyone heard from them??? The wait is painful... At this point I'd rather someone tells me they've already sent out offers so I can save my energy for something else...

Were you accepted to the program?

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/12/2016 at 6:48 AM, Stemlike said:

I believe they'll have 2 interview weekends.

The first is Jan 18-22, the second is early Feb, but I'm not sure about the dates.

How I find people applying for WSBS? What say your status in your application WSBS? I want to know if I was discarded applicant... snif  I did not receive mail :(

On 16/2/2010 at 3:28 AM, arseus said:

tell us your experience in the WSBS interview :) . When you were invited for the interview, December?, I have heard an applicant was invited by I haven't received any mail yet, they sent you an e-mail even your wasn't admitted?

Unfortunately, i wasn't admitted into the program at Watson. I'm waiting to hear from Stony Brook though....my research interests match their program better actually. I'm guessing you got an invite for the interview at CSHL...congrats!

42 minutes ago, 2Jan3 said:

How I find people applying for WSBS? What say your status in your application WSBS? I want to know if I was discarded applicant... snif  I did not receive mail :(

My application status is still submitted, but the last modification was 22 days ago. I'm sorry to break it, but I believe that all invitations have been sent.. To make sure, nothing better than emailing CSHL and asking. Good luck!

On 16/2/2010 at 3:28 AM, arseus said:

tell us your experience in the WSBS interview :) . When you were invited for the interview, December?, I have heard an applicant was invited by I haven't received any mail yet, they sent you an e-mail even your wasn't admitted?

Unfortunately, i wasn't admitted into the program at Watson. I'm waiting to hear from Stony Brook though....my research interests match their program better actually. I'm guessing you got an invite for the interview at CSHL...congrats!

11 hours ago, Stemlike said:

My application status is still submitted, but the last modification was 22 days ago. I'm sorry to break it, but I believe that all invitations have been sent.. To make sure, nothing better than emailing CSHL and asking. Good luck!

Thanks Stemlike.  I have read that also WSBS confirm by e-mail if you are rejected (by December 20-23), for that reason, I'll send a mail. thanks a lot. :/  where do you from>?

On 29/12/2016 at 6:48 AM, Stemlike said:

I believe they'll have 2 interview weekends.

The first is Jan 18-22, the second is early Feb, but I'm not sure about the dates.

Hi, tell us about your experience in the interview! Will be tomorrow. What is your field or project"?