What are my chances? (Dutchy going to USA)

EvelynD

I am a 28 year old Dutch anthropologist, graduated about 6 months ago. My dream has always been to spend some time in the United States for a PhD but I believed it would be impossible due to various reasons (not smart enouh, to much competition, not rich enough, etc). After doing some internet research I became very motivated and the more I read, the more I feel like I could do this!

My goal is to do a PhD in cultural anthropology, probably focussed on indigenous peoples of the Americas and their position in contemporary society, or in human-animal relations  from a cultural-anthro perspective (like the role of the horse in Latin America or in Native American culture, for example). I strongly lean towards these subjects but I am still in the first phase of orientation, so it could still go in any direction

Could you guys give me an indication as to what my chances would be? I have:

- A BA in international tourism, thesis about tourism and poverty reduction
- A BA in archaeology
- A RMA in Archaeoloy and anthropology of indigenous peoples, thesis about traditional clothing in contemporary society
- Spend a semester at a Mexican university
- Done fieldschools and internships, both in the Netherlands and in Mexico
- Won several grants and scholarships for the semester and research abroad
- Presented my thesis research in Canada
- Worked as a TA (this is mandatory for RMA students, but who needs to know that ;)
- Worked in a student committee 
- Taught Spanish classes

But..I have no publications, no honours degree, and my grade average is a 7,5 (out of 10). And anthropology is a competetive field, and getting scholarships will probably not be easy. What are my chances, and are there things I could improve?

Thanks in advance!!

Based on the information you provided, I would say that your chances of getting accepted into a program are very high, it just depends on where you want to attend and with whom you would like to work. I would recommend finding professors that are doing work you find exciting, and contacting them directly to tell them you are interested in doing your PhD at their institution. If grade averages and publications were enough to keep one from getting into PhD programs I wouldn't be in one today. The point is to make it clear in your personal statements and conversations that you have research goals and have the means to attain those goals; everything else is secondary. 

Thank you Homo_Ignotus, I never felt like a 'top-student', eventhough I am one of the only ones in my department that went abroad. But there are always people with better grades, who suck up more, etc, and that made me insecure. This website has already helped me so much, I am sure that there is enough info on here to totally rock the application proces! I have even already emailed an Australian prof to ask her for advice!

James, feel free to do so!