We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

1 hour ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny Awe I'm sorry, I hope it gets better! I know this may not be what you want to hear but you could always leave with a masters

@hippyscientist secrets can be the worst ha. but bf and I are going to colorado this weekend, yay!

Ooooohhh coloRADo! You'll have to let us know how it is, where are you going? The main conference in my field is being held there this summer...well in Boulder, not the whole state. Have a great trip!

In a shocking turn of events, I felt mostly competent for one day this week. I had my weekly meeting with my advisor, but due to various scheduling shenanigans we hadn't met since before break. So in the past month and a half I managed to get something done so I could show her some stuff. I even got my simulator in a passable-enough state to show her what I did. But now this means next week is going to be a let down since I'll have made incredibly minimal progress in comparison. (Bonus sadness: I now have a github repo with my code in it, so I have visual evidence of how little I get done.)

10 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

Ooooohhh coloRADo! You'll have to let us know how it is, where are you going? The main conference in my field is being held there this summer...well in Boulder, not the whole state. Have a great trip!

I'm so jealous! I spent last summer (2015) in Boulder for an REU and I miss it like CRAZY. Do me a favor, go to Pearl Street - it's an awesome outdoor mall area with lots of street performers and such, and go to a food cart for Glacier ice cream - it's the best ice cream you've ever had :D

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny bold move seeing as Penn State Creamery is life... :) 

What a tumultuous weekend and crazy Monday. I don't even know where to begin or what to say except I got into work today with one thing on my mind and that's to focus on my PhD. So I collected data and finished my code and did my homework and got all my grading done and went to my lab meeting, and then went to a town meeting. Damn productivity increases 1000% when you ignore your phone/social life/people drama.

I love sleep. I also love being in bed and just relaxing. Bf and I are very laid back travelers/tourists. We walked around the river walk, ate some food and visit the Alamo. Now we are just relaxing at the hotel and will venture out for dinner. We hope to make some stops at certain parks on the way out

9 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

Omg I have been sleeping so much better since I bought one of these flip alarm clocks.  Good lord where has this been all my life?!  Its way cheaper on amazon, fyi.

That's neat! I might have to look into one. I need relatively small alarm clocks because without putting my contacts in, I can't see the clock!

I've been using horrible travel clocks for years because they are small enough to pick up, but those clocks look pretty small...

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I love all the prospective students walking around. Just think, that was us a year ago :)

I had to meet with a potential grad student on his interview day, and it made me realize how far I've come in the past 6 months. Pretty cool feeling! 

Okay enough procrastinating time to go lock myself away in the lab again. Bring on March 11.

1 minute ago, Neist said:

Hm. You know you're a graduate student when you've developed a near immunity to caffeine. 

So tired right now. Coffee isn't helping.

Oh there is too much truth in that statement. I'm in the lab at the weekend, something I said I'd only do if I had to, and I do have to this weekend. Bought some fancy coffee creamer as a treat to help. Coffee is going down easier than water. Send help!

7 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

Oh there is too much truth in that statement. I'm in the lab at the weekend, something I said I'd only do if I had to, and I do have to this weekend. Bought some fancy coffee creamer as a treat to help. Coffee is going down easier than water. Send help!

Maybe we should just shove a wad of coffee grounds in our cheek? :D 

Edit: Just made me some tea with about a tablespoon of honey in it. Maybe I'll get a nice sugar rush.

Edited by Neist
Update.

@Neist I prefer an IV drip! That works well. Other news is I just ran home from campus in the start of a storm, about 2.5 miles and I didn't stop running. That's huge for me, I couldn't run 5 minutes without stopping at the start of 2017. I'm pooped now tho so netflix, tea and chocolate m&ms!  Who said grad school isn't fun?

43 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

@Neist I prefer an IV drip! That works well. Other news is I just ran home from campus in the start of a storm, about 2.5 miles and I didn't stop running. That's huge for me, I couldn't run 5 minutes without stopping at the start of 2017. I'm pooped now tho so netflix, tea and chocolate m&ms!  Who said grad school isn't fun?

Grad school is a blast! :D I'm pretty sure graduate school will be among the most extreme periods of my life, and I love every second of it.

I'm getting tired, and this paper isn't going well. Time to employ a bold strategy. Time to start drinking and try to ride a golden period of mental laxity before I pass out from sheer exhaustion. Fingers crossed.

13 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I'm really resonating with this statement. I've never hated something so much, yet loved it so much.

It's great, right? :D I can see why people would not like graduate school, but if one can ride the crest of the tsunami, so to speak, it's a blast!

That, and I'm learning more than I ever have in my entire life in such a short period of time. Some of the faculty members here have told graduate students in my department that the point you take your comps is probably the point that you'll know as much as you'll ever know. 

3 hours ago, Neist said:

It's great, right? :D I can see why people would not like graduate school, but if one can ride the crest of the tsunami, so to speak, it's a blast!

That, and I'm learning more than I ever have in my entire life in such a short period of time. Some of the faculty members here have told graduate students in my department that the point you take your comps is probably the point that you'll know as much as you'll ever know. 

Yeah, and the second you inch away from the crest of the tsunami, it pummels you into the ocean floor.