We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

I love grad school and the emotional rollercoaster that comes with it. The past 6 months I've learnt more than I ever thought was possible in that time, purely out of necessity. Most of that learning has come outside of classes. i do wish weeks were 8 days so I could work 6 and take 2 off. 5 days working is too short, but only having 1 weekend day isn't enough! Agh!

All As so far! Don't want to jinx myself though. I know what you guys mean, coffee isn't having the same effect as it used too. I slept so much this weekend. 12 hrs on friday and 14 hrs on saturday. I have a meeting with my literacy professor to see if I can join her on a project. Hopefully I make a good impression...

2 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

All As so far! Don't want to jinx myself though. I know what you guys mean, coffee isn't having the same effect as it used too. I slept so much this weekend. 12 hrs on friday and 14 hrs on saturday. I have a meeting with my literacy professor to see if I can join her on a project. Hopefully I make a good impression...

Good luck! And rest is great. I wish I got more. On Friday night I got 5 hours. I'm still a bit behind from that.

You might try turmeric tea. It has a strangely energizing effect, but I don't find the effect especially comfortable. It is there, though.

Just now, Neist said:

Good luck! And rest is great. I wish I got more. On Friday night I got 5 hours. I'm still a bit behind from that.

You might try turmeric tea. It has a strangely energizing effect, but I don't find the effect especially comfortable. It is there, though.

My body has one of those weekends every now and then that it just shuts down. I barely got everything done that was due by midnight tonight. Ill try that! Thanks for the luck. Its an online class so this will be our first impression. I'm kinda a spaz though. Oh and my familys helpful suggestions on my literacy research "people are just lazy", "you can't quantify souls", "its their personalities"......thanks for that guys lol

@Need Coffee in an IV congrats on the As! I love hot honey and lemon for sleep and sore throats (even better if you throw whisky in there!) something about it just sends me to sleep. 

So I have my candidacy exam coming up, and it requires an oral defense. This is where my problem lies, I understand concepts well and can write out clear and concise descriptions but verbally? Nope not a chance. I sound like the worlds biggest bimbo. Any advice from you guys on how to verbally communicate my knowledge better? This is probably really good for conferences too!

1 minute ago, hippyscientist said:

@Need Coffee in an IV congrats on the As! I love hot honey and lemon for sleep and sore throats (even better if you throw whisky in there!) something about it just sends me to sleep. 

So I have my candidacy exam coming up, and it requires an oral defense. This is where my problem lies, I understand concepts well and can write out clear and concise descriptions but verbally? Nope not a chance. I sound like the worlds biggest bimbo. Any advice from you guys on how to verbally communicate my knowledge better? This is probably really good for conferences too!

Have you tried writing down your thoughts and then saying them outloud? Kinda like a rehearsal? I know you can't fully prepare but it will make you feel confident at least saying the principles out loud. Thats what I do, I have a speech impediment so I completely understand. I also talk to someone about it over and over again so I'm used to having a human looking at me lol

1 minute ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Have you tried writing down your thoughts and then saying them outloud? Kinda like a rehearsal? I know you can't fully prepare but it will make you feel confident at least saying the principles out loud. Thats what I do, I have a speech impediment so I completely understand. I also talk to someone about it over and over again so I'm used to having a human looking at me lol

Oh, that seems so straightforward! I'll definitely give that a go, thank you. To give an example, I was describing the progression of engineering design of a particular implant and "First generation, really really sucked. Second generation sucked a little less. Third generation, where we are now, seems to suck a lot less but we don't really know yet." Can't be saying that in my defense! 

Well, have you ever listened to many academic presentations? Academics are pretty poor public speakers, so you can't be too hard on yourself. At least that's what I tell myself. :) 

9 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Whoa... that seems a bit excessive. Do you think you're coming down with something?

As a side note, I just bought my first (new!) mattress this weekend. I can't stress enough how important of an investment this is. 

Edited by Pink Fuzzy Bunny

@hippyscientist My geology professors wouldn't mind :-P. But it really helps me and I hope it helps you!

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny Sigh, I think its also very excessive. I have a doctors appointment in april to test whether i'm allergic to mosquitoes or developing an autoimmune problem. I know nature is coming back to life though. I could only be outside for 30 mins yesterday before my throat and eyes started to hurt. This was with medication.

8 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

@hippyscientist My geology professors wouldn't mind :-P. But it really helps me and I hope it helps you!

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny Sigh, I think its also very excessive. I have a doctors appointment in april to test whether i'm allergic to mosquitoes or developing an autoimmune problem. I know nature is coming back to life though. I could only be outside for 30 mins yesterday before my throat and eyes started to hurt. This was with medication.

Ouch I am allergic to mosquitoes. It sucks! I get golf-ball size bites and get all feverish & exhausted whenever I get bitten. Plus they seem to love me. Typical!  Hope the docs appointment helps.

5 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

Ouch I am allergic to mosquitoes. It sucks! I get golf-ball size bites and get all feverish & exhausted whenever I get bitten. Plus they seem to love me. Typical!  Hope the docs appointment helps.

I've never heard of anyone else being allergic! Mine swell as well, turn red, have a surrounding rash, then turn purple. This process lasts between 3 weeks to a month. Doctors think this is very unusual reaction...um i agree. thats why i mad an appointment lol

10 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

I've never heard of anyone else being allergic! Mine swell as well, turn red, have a surrounding rash, then turn purple. This process lasts between 3 weeks to a month. Doctors think this is very unusual reaction...um i agree. thats why i mad an appointment lol

Ugh I'm sorry, it's not fun but hope doc helps! So today is Mardi Gras/Shrove Tuesday, also known in the UK as Pancake Day so please everyone enjoy some pancakes today (if you like them)!.

On 2/26/2017 at 8:59 PM, hippyscientist said:

Oh, that seems so straightforward! I'll definitely give that a go, thank you. To give an example, I was describing the progression of engineering design of a particular implant and "First generation, really really sucked. Second generation sucked a little less. Third generation, where we are now, seems to suck a lot less but we don't really know yet." Can't be saying that in my defense! 

You just need to reword it a bit

"Our current results are still inconclusive, but we have been seeing gains in each new generation"

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

29 inches of snow here :( Hope all of you other east coasters are doing okay!

Yikes, hope you didn't have to go out in that the day of. We got hit pretty minimally here, but still got a snow day which was nice - lots of grading got done in front of netflix! 

On 3/16/2017 at 8:47 PM, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Okay that's just disappointing!! Not even enough for a snowman :(

I agree! But I love snow, so more the better! Btw new mexico is a fun place to road trip! Bf and I drove around, saw several parks and ate some awesome food :). Now back to studying.....

@rhombusbombus I'm sorry! That does suck. I kinda know how you feel, I applied for several internships with the Smithsonian and I didn't get them. I wasn't shock but if I'm being honest, I was a little disappointed. I felt like I had a great shot at it, even though I downplayed it to everyone else.

14 hours ago, rhombusbombus said:

ugh. nsf grfp announcements were just sent out. i didn't get one :(

I've gotta say, every time the announcements come out and people read their reviews out loud to me, I'm just convinced that some of the GRFP reviewers woke up on the wrong side of the damn bed.