We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

I know who I want to be on my committee too, I guess our program is a little weird. We pick our committee at the end of the spring semester. We then take our qualifying exam before we can take an internship or start our thesis. But every professor we have ever taken would submit questions not just those on the committee. But our committee has to approve and monitor our progress. Finally after we finish our thesis or internship, we have to defend. It feels very mashed together lol

6 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I can't believe all that has happened in the past year! Anyone else feel like it was EONS since they were in undergrad?

I mean I graduated 3 years ago so yes it does! But there was a speaker from the UK yesterday and I turned to one of my friends and asked whether I was that English because he seemed so foreign. Definitely become americanized, not in accent but definitely in mannerisms and phrases. It was very odd and made me think that it's been a while since I've been in the UK. Does feel like I've been here forever now! 

15 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I can't believe all that has happened in the past year! Anyone else feel like it was EONS since they were in undergrad?

...it has been eons for me since undergrad...at least 13 years or so since I graduated. :)

3 hours ago, nevermind said:

...it has been eons for me since undergrad...at least 13 years or so since I graduated. :)

My reasoning was that if I entered the work force now, I may have never actually gone onto graduate school. I would have tasted freedom lol

2 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

My reasoning was that if I entered the work force now, I may have never actually gone onto graduate school. I would have tasted freedom lol

bahaha. the workforce wasn't freedom for me...i MUCH prefer academia. It was a good lesson to learn so that I appreciate my time in grad school more. Though I DO miss making $80,000/yr. instead of my meager stipend. :) 

10 hours ago, nevermind said:

bahaha. the workforce wasn't freedom for me...i MUCH prefer academia. It was a good lesson to learn so that I appreciate my time in grad school more. Though I DO miss making $80,000/yr. instead of my meager stipend. :) 

I think its because my HOPE (big hope, because now I'm kinda worried about my prospects) is to work in museums/libraries/parks. So I'm kinda in the middle of the workforce and academia. Thats basically why I'm going to grad school so I can increase my salary from 15,000 to maybbeeee 30,000? A girl can dream right?! lol.

2 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

I think its because my HOPE (big hope, because now I'm kinda worried about my prospects) is to work in museums/libraries/parks. So I'm kinda in the middle of the workforce and academia. Thats basically why I'm going to grad school so I can increase my salary from 15,000 to maybbeeee 30,000? A girl can dream right?! lol.

Wow, that's obscene. 30k for a masters/PhD?

7 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Wow, that's obscene. 30k for a masters/PhD?

By the end of it 5 years of museum experience and 7 months of library experience too! Honestly this field doesn't pay much but I'm not planning on having kids and 0 debt. So its manageable. Of course there are higher salaries but those are for very sought after positions and the higher cost of living balances that out.

On 4/7/2017 at 10:44 PM, nevermind said:

nooooo shit

but it's not about the money. it's about the mission

I mean.. it's a little bit about the money... have to put food on the table, and shelter over the head, and would be nice to eat out, have fancy things, and stuff like that. but money has a huge diminishing return. what's more important is the people you surround yourself with, and the work that you do. I can say definitively that while making engineering salary, I was much less happy than I am now, being a broke ass grad student

Edited by spectastic

On 4/7/2017 at 10:44 PM, nevermind said:

bahaha. the workforce wasn't freedom for me...i MUCH prefer academia. It was a good lesson to learn so that I appreciate my time in grad school more. 

Same here! Graduate school feels a little bit like a vacation to me.

@Neist Super jealous that your degree is also a MLIS. I want to work in libraries as well so hopefully the combination of literacy classes and volunteering at a library will make up for that. Most of the jobs I've looked at seem that I would be competitive enough but you never know! I only have 5 more weeks of my first year....

1 hour ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

@Neist Super jealous that your degree is also a MLIS. I want to work in libraries as well so hopefully the combination of literacy classes and volunteering at a library will make up for that. Most of the jobs I've looked at seem that I would be competitive enough but you never know! I only have 5 more weeks of my first year....

I think you'll be fine. :) And you can always get an MLIS later on if you feel it necessary. Where you get an MLIS doesn't really matter, and a lot of programs are online. I bet it's pretty easy to find a cheap MLIS program, although I can't say confidently as I have no looked extensively. 

10 hours ago, Neist said:

I think you'll be fine. :) And you can always get an MLIS later on if you feel it necessary. Where you get an MLIS doesn't really matter, and a lot of programs are online. I bet it's pretty easy to find a cheap MLIS program, although I can't say confidently as I have no looked extensively. 

Thats true, thanks! I'm thinking of applying for this library aid job. It would be nice to earn more.

Oh my goodness, today ahs been amazing. I had a great meeting with my advisor and I guess it was kinida a review that I initiated in a roundabout way (asking about making clear summer goals and a goal for where to end up at the end of year 1) and got told a bunch of really nice things. Oh it's exciting and i'm excited and he's excited and if I wasn't so exhausted I'd be bouncing with excitement

On 4/12/2017 at 4:23 AM, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Am I the only one who has never really worked with other students in previous research groups? Previously I was just working with my professors (and profs at other universities) so I'm really struggling with group dynamics. 

As a history person, I've rarely worked with groups in the past. However, much of my library school coursework requires team work, and well, it hasn't been as enjoyable as I would have liked it to be. :wacko:

19 hours ago, Neist said:

As a history person, I've rarely worked with groups in the past. However, much of my library school coursework requires team work, and well, it hasn't been as enjoyable as I would have liked it to be. :wacko:

I'm so glad I'm not the only one a little frustrated with things. Hopefully your coursework doesn't require group presentations (read: group grade)?

1 hour ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I'm so glad I'm not the only one a little frustrated with things. Hopefully your coursework doesn't require group presentations (read: group grade)?

I have to do a group project and group presentation with undergrads this semester....I thought it would be awful with me doing all the work but one of them is really proactive and it's great to be able to sit back and just edit whatever they do. 

Ugh why can't I sleep these days?  I woke up at 3:30am this morning for no reason!  The night before I couldn't get to sleep until 1am so I was already dragging.  Today I was like a walking zombie.  I wish I could say its just stress, but I don't think so.  I don't feel overwhelmed and I am much more on top of things then I'm giving myself credit for.  I'm exercising, eating, drinking water, maintaining a work-life balance...all that good stuff, yet no sleeping.  My plan was to clean the house, but I'm tired and just want to eat guacamole.  

@MarineBluePsy I'm not sure how regular your sleep irregularities are, but you might want to see if your university health insurance covers (mostly) a sleep study! It's only a few hundred here ("only" :wacko:) so I know a lot of grad students who have done it and improved their sleep drastically. 

That being said, I hate when you can't sleep for no reason. UGH