We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

You know what was never explained to me about graduate school? The sheer amount of emails one needs to write.

I feel like I'm always writing emails. 

3 hours ago, Neist said:

You know what was never explained to me about graduate school? The sheer amount of emails one needs to write.

YES. I write so many...I try to only respond (unless it's critical) during normal business hours because sometimes...you just have to unplug for sanity's sake.

28 minutes ago, nevermind said:

YES. I write so many...I try to only respond (unless it's critical) during normal business hours because sometimes...you just have to unplug for sanity's sake.

Oh, you can totally relate to my pain being a history person.

I'm technically a student in two departments, so I have to do the "upkeep" of a student of both, and I'm also in the process of determining some archives where I'd like to work in the future. A large part of this process is reviewing what research has already been produced and an incredible amount of correspondence to these archives determining whether or not funding is available to study their collections (among many other things).

The archival search struggles for history students is serious business. :D I've found an archive that's pretty intriguing, though. Hope I can make it work.

8 minutes ago, Neist said:

Oh, you can totally relate to my pain being a history person.

I'm technically a student in two departments, so I have to do the "upkeep" of a student of both, and I'm also in the process of determining some archives where I'd like to work in the future. A large part of this process is reviewing what research has already been produced and an incredible amount of correspondence to these archives determining whether or not funding is available to study their collections (among many other things).

The archival search struggles for history students is serious business. :D I've found an archive that's pretty intriguing, though. Hope I can make it work.

I can also relate to being in two departments...I'm history AND science studies, so it's certainly a balancing act...but it means twice as many emails. I've found some archives that I'm hoping to visit in the summer (I'm also doing a summer language program)...BUT. man. i'm exhausted. 

Ugh I just graded my TA sections exams. I'm so proud of a lot of them, but there's a group who just f**ked it up, and they're the ones who I have to keep breaking up all semester, who've already been caught plagiarising. Like I know it's not my fault, but ugh.

Anyone else looking forward to the undergrads disappearing and classes stopping for the summer? I can't wait! 2 and a bit weeks to go....*deeeeep breaths*

1 hour ago, hippyscientist said:

Anyone else looking forward to the undergrads disappearing and classes stopping for the summer? I can't wait! 2 and a bit weeks to go....*deeeeep breaths*

Lucky!!! We go until mid-June. :-/

1 hour ago, hippyscientist said:

Ugh I just graded my TA sections exams. I'm so proud of a lot of them, but there's a group who just f**ked it up, and they're the ones who I have to keep breaking up all semester, who've already been caught plagiarising. Like I know it's not my fault, but ugh.

Yes. Here we actually throw a festival to celebrate the undergrads leaving. I can't wait for campus to be as empty as it was last summer!

1 minute ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Yes. Here we actually throw a festival to celebrate the undergrads leaving. I can't wait for campus to be as empty as it was last summer!

Oh that sounds great! We have a week when they all come back during the summer and we have to deal with the drunken chaos again. But phew, time off of classes and 18 year olds! 

8 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

Oh that sounds great! We have a week when they all come back during the summer and we have to deal with the drunken chaos again. But phew, time off of classes and 18 year olds! 

For some reason PSU is far worse than Cornell for that it seems! I've been to State College a few times, and when with friends I always go to the Saloon to get a monkey boy (have you been there and had that drink? You definitely seem too classy to drink a pitcher of alcohol but sometimes I misjudge! :) ) and I've done so in the middle of July and in the middle of October. One was an enjoyable bar experience (if there is such a thing), and one involved being packed like sardines into an overcrowded bar full of undergrads who just wanted to get drunk. 

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny Lol I love saloon in winter! And I love a good pitcher but there's a time and a place!! We tend to go to the more grad studenty bars but still have to deal with the up-themselves undergrads who think they can hang out there (that came out wrong, it's more they have the attitude "I'm so mature I can go to the grad bars" but they still want to vomit at the end of the night). PSU has a party reputation and it's something the student body will not let anyone forget. If we slip in the party school rankings they will try to fix it. It's an interesting time right now with all the greek sanctions so the undergrads aren't as bad. But I have to say there's too many of them (undergrads) on campus!!! I just want to be able to get to my lab guys move!

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny @hippyscientist I finished undergrad at PSU a little less than a year ago and seeing Saloon monkeyboys and an Arts Fest reference pop up on a gradcafe thread just gave me hard core nostalgia and brought a tear to my eye. Penn State is indeed a wild place but I LOVE IT AND MISS IT SO MUCH.  **Pro tips from a PSU bar pro: if you like Saloon and want to go when it's less crowded, avoid Thursday nights when My Hero Zero is playing. Also you should go to Zeno's if you're into a more chill vibe and want good music and fancy pants craft beers**

5 hours ago, hantoo said:

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny @hippyscientist I finished undergrad at PSU a little less than a year ago and seeing Saloon monkeyboys and an Arts Fest reference pop up on a gradcafe thread just gave me hard core nostalgia and brought a tear to my eye. Penn State is indeed a wild place but I LOVE IT AND MISS IT SO MUCH.  **Pro tips from a PSU bar pro: if you like Saloon and want to go when it's less crowded, avoid Thursday nights when My Hero Zero is playing. Also you should go to Zeno's if you're into a more chill vibe and want good music and fancy pants craft beers**

Oh trust me I half live in Zenos, love that place! Penn State is like nowhere I've ever been before but it's definitely infectious. I am blue and white now.

The homework assigned this week is the hardest assigned all semester thus far. I'm 10% done, totally stuck, and everyone I've asked for help won't respond because I bug them every week, and it's due tomorrow. It's amazing how one homework assignment can totally ruin you, eh?

On 4/19/2017 at 2:43 PM, Neist said:

I was just thinking this!  9 out of the 10 emails I get are not even helpful or informative so I've gotten much choosier about who gets a response.  

pulling all nighter for homework. motivation in the shit. productivity low. currently watching buzzfeed worth it episodes of two guys enjoying awesome food, and wondering what it would be like to be finger sized and riding my cat like a small horse. fuck i'm tired.

1 hour ago, spectastic said:

pulling all nighter for homework. motivation in the shit. productivity low. currently watching buzzfeed worth it episodes of two guys enjoying awesome food, and wondering what it would be like to be finger sized and riding my cat like a small horse. fuck i'm tired.

Did one of those Sunday night. All-nighters for homework are the most discouraging experiences for me, but I think most people will resort to it at some point. I'm sorry :(

• 1 month later...

@rhombusbombus no I haven't been to trivia there, I think I'm joining the trivia team with my advisor in the fall tho (he goes to Ottos). We should grab a beer in Zenos when we're both in town!! 

Also Murphy's Law (which I only learnt what it was today, in the UK we call it sod's law) sucks! Good luck :)