We've wined, we've waited, now it's time to celebrate 2016

hippyscientist

43 minutes ago, Levon3 said:

haha, at least you know they're proud. I wish my parents would post so I didn't have to do it myself; I'm afraid I'll seem braggy. :)

It would all depend on how you word things. When I posted it, I just said  was accepted into the graduate program for an MS in global merchandising. Now if I had gone how my GPA was the highest ever recorded in the history of GPAs, how I beat even a perfect GRE score, that I'm the most desired student and every school was fighting over me, and how the President himself wrote an LOR...then that might possibly be seen as braggy. Maybe. :lol:

4 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

Anyone else majorly stalling on telling the important people in their lives that they'll be heading on the grad school journey?  I think I've mostly spent the last few weeks in serious denial that I'm actually going somewhere.

I actually really don't have anyone to tell outside of my parents and my spouse. I have pretty much no friends or acquaintances. Hope I can change that in graduate school.

Also, I finally made my way into this thread. Hi everyone. :) 

1 hour ago, Levon3 said:

haha, at least you know they're proud. I wish my parents would post so I didn't have to do it myself; I'm afraid I'll seem braggy. :)

Maybe it's just that they're not comfortable with technology or don't know how you'd feel about it.... 

My parents are the same, they seemed kind of "meh", but they told my sister that they're so proud of me just don't know how to share it. I imagine that's the same for a lot of parents... I'm sure they are hella proud of you!

@Neist I would have to say I have a very small number of friends and I usually hang out with them maybe once a month? Social outings exhaust me, but we can be friends if you want! I actually read a book called MWF Seeking BFF: My Yearlong Search for a New Best Friend . Its super funny and I think you would like it.

14 minutes ago, Neist said:

I actually really don't have anyone to tell outside of my parents and my spouse. I have pretty much no friends or acquaintances. Hope I can change that in graduate school.

Neist, I'm sure you will, and I'm hoping the same for me. My thought is that you will finally be where you're meant to be, surrounded by people with the same goals, ambitions, and interests as you.  Keep your hopes high! :D

4 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

@Neist I would have to say I have a very small number of friends and I usually hang out with them maybe once a month? Social outings exhaust me, but we can be friends if you want! I actually read a book called MWF Seeking BFF: My Yearlong Search for a New Best Friend . Its super funny and I think you would like it.

I'll have to look it up. Thanks! And I wouldn't mind being friends. I'm a good friend, actually. ^_^ 

2 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Neist, I'm sure you will, and I'm hoping the same for me. My thought is that you will finally be where you're meant to be, surrounded by people with the same goals, ambitions, and interests as you.  Keep your hopes high! :D

I do have high hopes! I think one of the major reasons I'm devoid of social life is because I work full-time, I'm married, and I have a kid. I haven't had much time for anything during the last several years, but now, with funding, I can actually have a rich student experience. I look forward to it! :D 

25 minutes ago, Neist said:

Hey I'll be friends with you! Of course with my acceptance into FSU I'll be leaving OKC in a few months....but I make a pretty good friend I think.

1 minute ago, Neist said:

I'll have to look it up. Thanks! And I wouldn't mind being friends. I'm a good friend, actually. ^_^ 

I do have high hopes! I think one of the major reasons I'm devoid of social life is because I work full-time, I'm married, and I have a kid. I haven't had much time for anything during the last several years, but now, with funding, I can actually have a rich student experience. I look forward to it! :D 

Yeah no problem! It's no classic, I find a lot of the classics dry for my taste. Its like come on Dickens, no need to make a paragraph when a sentence could have gotten the point across. I usually have to have coffee next to me so I can actually focus on the story :lol:. I like being on this forum. Cool, now you can say you have at least one friend. I like being on this forum, its pretty relaxing. @marycaryne Let me know if you want details on FSU, my brother worked there for a bit!

3 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

You need to surround yourself with better people.... this is one of the biggest changes in your life, darnit!

Hehehe I've spent the last few years making an effort to do that and it's been going ok.  Those new and better people aren't really close friends though.  We go to social events where we laugh about random stuff, but we're far from besties.  My family is just focused on their own struggles and don't really get anything I'm trying to do anyway. 

29 minutes ago, Neist said:

Yeah this no friends thing is weird.  I've got the acquaintances part, but its not the same.  Are you thinking that you'll find friends within your cohort or other departments?  I've been pondering this whole friends in grad school kind of thing and it just seems unlikely being so much older than everyone else.

I like being on this forum too! The waiting was so, so long. I cried when I got waitlisted, and it's just so nice to be able to celebrate now that I'm accepted, with people who've been there.

2 minutes ago, marycaryne said:

Hey I'll be friends with you! Of course with my acceptance into FSU I'll be leaving OKC in a few months....but I make a pretty good friend I think.

If you're leaving OKC, I think you're getting the better deal rather than staying here. Haha. :D And I'm sure you'd be a great friend! We can be internet buddies! 

Also, I totally think of this scene when I think of the programs you applied to.

1526_3.jpg

1 minute ago, MarineBluePsy said:

Hehehe I've spent the last few years making an effort to do that and it's been going ok.  Those new and better people aren't really close friends though.  We go to social events where we laugh about random stuff, but we're far from besties.  My family is just focused on their own struggles and don't really get anything I'm trying to do anyway. 

Yeah this no friends thing is weird.  I've got the acquaintances part, but its not the same.  Are you thinking that you'll find friends within your cohort or other departments?  I've been pondering this whole friends in grad school kind of thing and it just seems unlikely being so much older than everyone else.

I think I'll at least make strong acquaintances. I think I'll generally be older than everyone else, but everyone else will have the same nerdy interests as myself, so anything's possible. :)  

2 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Yeah no problem! It's no classic, I find a lot of the classics dry for my taste. Its like come on Dickens, no need to make a paragraph when a sentence could have gotten the point across. I usually have to have coffee next to me so I can actually focus on the story :lol:. I like being on this forum. Cool, now you can say you have at least one friend. I like being on this forum, its pretty relaxing. @marycaryne Let me know if you want details on FSU, my brother worked there for a bit!

Yay for at least one friend! :D I think I'm going to stick around on these boards, even after this cycle. It's a friendly environment.

I've tried to get through Moby Dick for years, but it's just so dry. Someday I'll get through it. Someday.

@MarineBluePsy I know at my school I think I'll see friendly faces if not friends, everyone seems to be so nice so far. Sorry that you have been feeling down about the people around you. I'm sure things will get better! @Levon3 I cried when I was rejected from Kansas, didn't see that coming. I'm sure people noticed on here how bitter I was ha. I got over it though and I'm glad you are now excited! @mrbmrbmrb Yeah most of my friends graduated last year and my other friends are 6 hours/states away so I understand missing the social aspect. I'm over undergrad and want to go on to grad school!

@Need Coffee in an IV I finished undergrad last may and I miss it sooooo much, not the classes but my friends.  Realistically I'm looking back at it and seeing it better than it actually was, because I'm in a less than ideal situation living with my parents this year.  Words cannot describe how ready I am to move out again

2 minutes ago, Neist said:

If you're leaving OKC, I think you're getting the better deal rather than staying here. Haha. :D And I'm sure you'd be a great friend! We can be internet buddies! 

Also, I totally think of this scene when I think of the programs you applied to.

1526_3.jpg

I think I'll at least make strong acquaintances. I think I'll generally be older than everyone else, but everyone else will have the same nerdy interests as myself, so anything's possible. :)  

Yay for at least one friend! :D I think I'm going to stick around on these boards, even after this cycle. It's a friendly environment.

I've tried to get through Moby Dick for years, but it's just so dry. Someday I'll get through it. Someday.

I'm planning on sticking around here. I like forums, its one of my hobbies. I like to say I'm allergic to the sun ha. My main obsession is Curb Your Enthusiasm, Larry David is the best.  My boyfriend has been messing with me on how much I'm on this site ha. I keep telling myself that I'll eventually finish War and Peace. Right now though, I just have it in the corner judging me.

2 minutes ago, mrbmrbmrb said:

@Need Coffee in an IV I finished undergrad last may and I miss it sooooo much, not the classes but my friends.  Realistically I'm looking back at it and seeing it better than it actually was, because I'm in a less than ideal situation living with my parents this year.  Words cannot describe how ready I am to move out again

Yeah I know what you mean! Just after a week of visiting my parents I'm ready to come back to my quite apartment. I haven't lived with my parents in years and I'm not sure if I could. I mean I would if I was about to become homeless but I have a much better relationship with them now :)

1 minute ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Yeah I know what you mean! Just after a week of visiting my parents I'm ready to come back to my quite apartment. I haven't lived with my parents in years and I'm not sure if I could. I mean I would if I was about to become homeless but I have a much better relationship with them now :)

Yeah I don't recommend it, I applied for a summer program teaching literature in Cincinnati in hopes to be able to relocate soon

6 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

I keep telling myself that I'll eventually finish War and Peace. Right now though, I just have it in the corner judging me.

Ugh, I'm still mad I slogged through that book. I want those 6 months of my life back. It wasn't worth it. I know that it's considered great for a reason, but I wouldn't blame you for leaving it in the corner. 

Just now, mrbmrbmrb said:

Yeah I don't recommend it, I applied for a summer program teaching literature in Cincinnati in hopes to be able to relocate soon

I'm sure you have a really high chance of getting. I'm debating what I should do this summer. I know I'm going to be helping my mentor finish up at our museum before I leave but I wonder if there's anything more I should do. I'm going to ask if I could possibly be funded but I'm not having high hopes on that. This will be the first time I'll be without a job in several years. @Levon3 That does make me feel better! I have a list of books I want to read and its over a 100 at the moment. I'm sure War and Peace isn't going anywhere. It would be hard to misplace that book!

3 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

I'm sure you have a really high chance of getting. I'm debating what I should do this summer. I know I'm going to be helping my mentor finish up at our museum before I leave but I wonder if there's anything more I should do. I'm going to ask if I could possibly be funded but I'm not having high hopes on that. This will be the first time I'll be without a job in several years. @Levon3 That does make me feel better! I have a list of books I want to read and its over a 100 at the moment. I'm sure War and Peace isn't going anywhere. It would be hard to misplace that book!

Thanks for the vote of confidence! Also glad I'm not the only one who keeps a running list of books to read 

Just got word that I'll be getting paid to work with my preferred PI this summer... I'm really excited because this guy is awesome and his research is really interesting, but at the same time, kind of wishing I had decided to roam around Asia or something for the summer. Or you know... for life. I try to live life by "when I'm 80 and looking back, will I regret it?" and right now I'm not sure if I'll regret being a typical student, or if I'd regret spending so much money on travelling adventures when I'm not really a people person... oh well. 

And this is only my quarter-life crisis, I can't wait to see what happens in a few more decades :P

Yay @Pink Fuzzy Bunny that's awesome! I think I've already had my quarter life crisis and definitely feel way older than I am! All my grad school friends are in their 30s - wife, kids, saving for a house, so that's definitely the age I feel. I thought I'd be starting my program at 24 but I'll still be 23 (start the week before my birthday). It's crazy when I think back to what I've seen and done so far - everyone says I should write a book haha. Maybe I will. 

Really looking forward to making a life for myself in State College - my own apartment, my own stuff, new friends, keep up with my lifting and yoga, start hiking and exploring more. For those of you who feel like you have only acquaintances, it's because you haven't found your tribe yet. Thankfully I have some amazing friends - 5 of them I consider life-long ones - and I'm looking forward to making more during the PhD. Someone who wants a beer on a Friday would be good! I'm going to make an active effort to ensure my social life isn't entirely university-centric too. Get involved with locals and community things as well as campus life.

Yeah, I feel what everyone's saying so hard on the friend front. I thought after graduating undergrad and moving to a big city that I'd find my niche really easily, but between working full-time and being an introvert (who plays video games more often than she should) it's been hard to find that sorta core group.

I'm so excited to move and have a fresh start, ya know? And the entering class is projected to be from 60-65..so I'm sure there are going to be a lot of people I'll get along with. ^_^