Fall 2016 Acceptances

sierra918

Let's share our acceptances and where we plan to attend! I've seen threads like this in other disciplines, and I thought it might be fun ?

Ill start. I'm super super excited to be attending Vanderbilt University this fall! This was my absolute first choice!!!!

Im still anxiously awaiting the NSF GRFP award announcement ?

Edited by sierra918
Left out info

Hi 2016 hopefuls!

I've applied to 4 MA programs in cultural anthropology and received the decisions: 

1. Cornell: accepted (exceptional admission, as the MA program is not officially launched until next year)

2. Indiana Bloomington: rejected  (they accepted less than 10)

3. Rutgers NB: accepted (had an interview with my potential advisor)

4. Nevada Reno: accepted (unanimously).

Now waiting for Fulbright grant decision in May on which school to fund. Best of luck to you all. 

I was accepted to Case Western Reserve University and University of Alabama, both for biocultural anthropology PhD programs. Although CWRU is more prestigious, I'm leaning much more heavily toward Alabama. Their department is so vibrant, and my potential advisor there gave me a personal phone call to let me know of my acceptance. The department offered me a generous funding package, and paid to fly me out for three days to meet everyone and see the campus. 

Still no contact from my potential advisor at Case outside of letting me know I was admitted through a form letter. I should be hearing about funding in the next week. I'm not sure what Case could offer me to change my mind yet, but I'll give them a shot. 

I applied to 5 MA schools:

East Carolina- Still waiting to hear back but I was accepted and awarded funding for one of my top universities, so I'll decline the offer if accepted there.

North Carolina State University- Waitlisted

University of Central Florida- Accepted without funding :( wanted to go here but can't do that without funding

University of West Florida- Rejected...very sad because my POI there was amazing and does exactly what I want to do

Mississippi State University- Accepted with funding for 2 years...accepted admissions!!!!

I plan on visiting Mississippi State after graduation at the end of April/beginning of May, then I can meet the professors, students, and staff that I'll be working with. And looking at apartments for next year!!!!

Good luck everyone in your future endeavors!!!

Hello everyone,

I've just accepted an offer to Cornell's CIAMS MA program. I'm still a bit addled as I'm coming in from an M Div, but I'm none the less excited to start and meet some of you. 

Edited by Almaqah Thwn

9 hours ago, Almaqah Thwn said:

Hello everyone,

I've just accepted an offer to Cornell's CIAMS MA program. I'm still a bit addled as I'm coming in from an M Div, but I'm none the less excited to start and meet some of you. 

Congrats Almaqah (the Arabian goddess?), who's your POI if you can share? 

is anyone from the UK and knows anything about how strong Edinburgh's MSc program in Forensic Anthro is? I've been accepted but I'm wary to put down the 500 pound deposit to be considered for funding without knowing much about how good the program is. I'm relatively clueless about UK schools. I like what I know about the program so far, but I want to make sure I'm not going to waste the 500 pound deposity

12 hours ago, Baloch said:

Congrats Almaqah (the Arabian goddess?), who's your POI if you can share? 

Thank you! And yes, the name is from the Arabian god, as I'm interested in doing comparative study of ancient Israel and early pre-Islamic Arabia. Dr. Monroe there is the only professor within the country who is published on such subject. What region are you particularly interested in studying?

8 hours ago, bioanth said:

is anyone from the UK and knows anything about how strong Edinburgh's MSc program in Forensic Anthro is? I've been accepted but I'm wary to put down the 500 pound deposit to be considered for funding without knowing much about how good the program is. I'm relatively clueless about UK schools. I like what I know about the program so far, but I want to make sure I'm not going to waste the 500 pound deposity

I don't know too much about the program as a whole. Since you go to Alabama (I'm presuming), talk to Keith Jacobi. I'm sure he can give you insight into the program there. If not, then he might be able to direct you to someone that can you information on the program.

7 hours ago, Almaqah Thwn said:

Thank you! And yes, the name is from the Arabian god, as I'm interested in doing comparative study of ancient Israel and early pre-Islamic Arabia. Dr. Monroe there is the only professor within the country who is published on such subject. What region are you particularly interested in studying?

It's confusing is it the sun or moon god, feminine or masculine or neutral. Anyhow, very interesting topic, I have been reading about preIslamic Arabia for awhile and I have an encyclopedia by Jawad Ali on that period. I'm focusing on Southeastern Arabia, and your topic is going to be included in my research somehow, I'm researching historical memory and politics of representation, museums and cultural heritage. You can PM me to exchange contacts. 

On Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at 0:25 AM, Baloch said:

It's confusing is it the sun or moon god, feminine or masculine or neutral. Anyhow, very interesting topic, I have been reading about preIslamic Arabia for awhile and I have an encyclopedia by Jawad Ali on that period. I'm focusing on Southeastern Arabia, and your topic is going to be included in my research somehow, I'm researching historical memory and politics of representation, museums and cultural heritage. You can PM me to exchange contacts. 

Nice, I'll shoot you a PM! I'm unfamiliar with Jawad Ali, unfortunately. My main experience has been in Southwestern Arabia with Minaic and Sabaic texts, but the goal is to use the archaeology to explore the illiterate societies within the peninsula. But, that's exciting. I was not expecting another student interested in pre-Islamic Arabia in any of the programs to which I applied, haha. 

Hi everyone!

I accepted an offer of admission into the Anthropology PhD program at the University of Wisconsin- Madison for biological anthropology. I found out in the middle of February that the program recommended me for admission and got the official acceptance from the graduate school at the beginning of March.

My focus is human evolution and my region is South Africa. I'm so  excited to start in the Fall! I'm still in shock. I really cannot believe I have been accepted!

I also applied lied to the Richard Gilder Graduate School at the American Museum of Natural History for a PhD in comparative biology. I have yet to hear anything, so I assume I was rejected. Which is fine because Wisc was my top choice!

34 minutes ago, Caymay said:

Hi everyone!

I accepted an offer of admission into the Anthropology PhD program at the University of Wisconsin- Madison for biological anthropology. I found out in the middle of February that the program recommended me for admission and got the official acceptance from the graduate school at the beginning of March.

My focus is human evolution and my region is South Africa. I'm so  excited to start in the Fall! I'm still in shock. I really cannot believe I have been accepted!

I also applied lied to the Richard Gilder Graduate School at the American Museum of Natural History for a PhD in comparative biology. I have yet to hear anything, so I assume I was rejected. Which is fine because Wisc was my top choice!

Congrats! UWM is an amazing program!!!! Also, your research sounds very cool :)

22 hours ago, hclev94 said:

I've been accepted with funding to the University of Memphis's Applied Anthropology program, with funding. I'm excited to register for my classes, starting next week. I also plan on applying to their museum studies certificate program in the spring.

Congrats!!! 

It's offical! I haven't even heard back from NYU and Oxford yet, but I've just decided to accept my offer from Alabama anyway. There was only a very small chance any other institution would be able to match the amount of funding they gave for an MA, and I get along really well with the faculty and my research interests work really well with them as well. Yay!!

7 hours ago, bioanth said:

It's offical! I haven't even heard back from NYU and Oxford yet, but I've just decided to accept my offer from Alabama anyway. There was only a very small chance any other institution would be able to match the amount of funding they gave for an MA, and I get along really well with the faculty and my research interests work really well with them as well. Yay!!

Looks like we'll be only an hour and a half from each other then!!! I'm sure you'll do well there since you already know the professors and town and you get along with the department. I hope I have a good start with mine as well. :) 

17 hours ago, bioarch_fan said:

Looks like we'll be only an hour and a half from each other then!!! I'm sure you'll do well there since you already know the professors and town and you get along with the department. I hope I have a good start with mine as well. :) 

I'm sure you'll love it! 

On April 20, 2016 at 6:27 AM, AnxiousApplicant123 said:

I'll be starting at UC Davis (S-Wing) in September. Very excited! Went out to visit campus and check out housing in the area a couple of weeks ago, and my wife and I absolutely loved it. Is anyone else here going to UCD?

Davis is so nice! Congrats!