University of Utah Speech Path

I went to the open house last year. my impression is that it's very academic/research oriented in comparison to clinic. You take classes every semester including one summer and the last spring when you do externships. First fall you shadow a second year in clinic and then take over that client in first spring. The last spring semester you split in half doing one school externship and one medical. Since you have a class left during externships you are limited to externships in Utah. (I have heard great things about medical externships at the U and nearby, though they are very competitive) if you're not a resident of Utah it is extremely expensive. As a resident it still is a little expensive since they charge lots of clinic fees but it's all relative to where you're from and schools you're considering. 

The rest of this is hearsay so take it for what it's worth. I've heard the cohort is around 40 which could make it competitive and hard to become close, which I've found is huge - my cohort relies a lot on each other. a former undergrad said an advisor told him multiple times to quit because he wouldn't make it in the field. (He went somewhere else for grad school.) I also have heard in general the supervisors aren't the best. But everyone is different and I'm sure many people like the program. Every program will have faults though so you have to compare pros and cons of schools. 

Anyway I hope that helps! 

Thanks this definitely helps! I'm currently trying to avoid the research heavy schools because that's just not what I want, at least for this point in my life.  I heavily scanned their website last night , but it's nice having a student perspective. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Hey there,

did you happen to get in to the SLP Master's at the U?

I am looking for people who might be in my cohort as I will be attending the program this fall of 2016.