Choosing Materials Science vs. BME PhD-- Job prospects?

chemgirl2013

I posted this in another forum section with no replies. Maybe I'll have better luck here :)

Hoping to get some advice from people in the field! I am not an engineer (undergrad was in chemistry); so, my background is in synthetic organic chemistry (specifically, soft matter), and my research interest is in the area of biomaterials. I have been accepted to some great top 10 programs in both Biomedical Engineering and Materials Science, so there is no question that any of my programs' reputations is enough to pick one over other. My question is more long-term-- which field has better job prospects (industry options, flexibility of industry)? I know that money isn't everything, but which has better income potential? My current advisor says to go with Materials Science as she did her PhD in Chem E and is currently a BME prof. She says its more established historically. If MSE is the better option, should I give up biomaterials work altogether  and work in an area more lucrative, like energy? From my perspective, because I currently work in a BME lab, BME seems to be pretty vague and sort of an umbrella of various backgrounds (Bio, MechE, EE, Chem) that sometimes lacks a clear focus. But I enjoy the interdisciplinary nature of the field. I'm just wondering if for this reason doing BME for a PhD will hurt me long-term. Thoughts? Especially people doing PhDs in BME or MSE?

Thanks! This is a big dilemma for me considering the time/research commitment for a PhD in either field. 

It seems with your background and interest that the Biomedical Engineering would be a better choice.  You will have some flexibility with either choice but would be more immersed in the many facets of BME in that type of program. 

Perhaps continue to look at some of the specific research groups where you have been accepted and when you find something that seems quite interesting and fascinating you will know you are making a good choice by selecting that school.  Rest assured that you will be fine if you go the BME route.

Edited by Jbenrod

Thank you so much! :) I have until April 15th to decide, and so far I'm between an excellent BME program (where I'd work with a newer biomaterials prof because I don't have my own funding) and an excellent Materials Science Program where I'd have my own funding (I could easily work with biomaterials faculty). I think the research in both programs would be roughly the same, and perhaps slightly better in the Materials Science program. I'm more concerned about the job prospects after graduation. I'd love to earn a high 5 figure, even 6 figure salary, which doesn't seem typical for a BME PhD in industry even with experience. If biology is a detriment to earning potential, I'd consider starting over and doing my PhD work in something a little bit more lucrative outside of biomaterials-- like energy, coatings, self-assembly, or process design. Are you in a BME program? Do you think you'll postoc after your PhD? Or go into industry right away?

• 7 years later...
On 4/4/2016 at 3:12 AM, chemgirl2013 said:

Thank you so much! :) I have until April 15th to decide, and so far I'm between an excellent BME program (where I'd work with a newer biomaterials prof because I don't have my own funding) and an excellent Materials Science Program where I'd have my own funding (I could easily work with biomaterials faculty). I think the research in both programs would be roughly the same, and perhaps slightly better in the Materials Science program. I'm more concerned about the job prospects after graduation. I'd love to earn a high 5 figure, even 6 figure salary, which doesn't seem typical for a BME PhD in industry even with experience. If biology is a detriment to earning potential, I'd consider starting over and doing my PhD work in something a little bit more lucrative outside of biomaterials-- like energy, coatings, self-assembly, or process design. Are you in a BME program? Do you think you'll postoc after your PhD? Or go into industry right away?

Hi chemgirl, I am so curious about which major did you choose, I have the same problem as yours, please share your experience with me 🙏