Columbia MA Alumni?

HopefulSocPhD

Although I applied to Ph.D. programs this year, I was accepted into two un-funded Masters programs, NYU and Columbia. After much analysis and self-reflection on my weaknesses, I believe a terminal Masters program will fill the gaps in my application (research experience, a thesis, advising, LORs from soc. profs) and will significantly improve my chances at a top-10 Ph.D. program in a couple years. I am seriously considering the MA at Columbia if I can secure the loans I need for funding. 

Before I make this decision to attend or not to attend, I am very interested in hearing about the experiences of alumni of the Columbia MA program. Feel free to PM me or respond here. Thank you!

Edited by HopefulSocPhD

1 hour ago, krispykreme said:

Get a funded mph or mpa or mpp from a good school. these types of programs allow room for sociology and social science classes. get a thesis project together. don't take on debt before phd. 

So is this just your personal opinion on getting an M.A., or are you actually an alumnus of the Columbia M.A. program and you regret your decision?