Indiana University Audiology Program

nch20139

I recently received an offer from Indiana University in Bloomington offering 90% tuition remission the first year. It is a three year program and I am in-state, so the tuition is lower than any of the other schools I applied to. I am just concerned about it being a three year program as well as a lack of clinical opportunities aside from geriatrics. Does anyone have any insight into the program including pros and cons? Is the reputation positive or negative? I have also been accepted into some top ranked schools including Vanderbilt, but I'm not sure if the cost is justified.

Thanks for your help!

There's another thread called "Accelerated Audiology" that has some more insight on their program. I was also offered a 90% tuition remission (out of state) plus an ASL assistantship worth $11,000. It was hard to turn down, but I did it because of the reasons you stated. For me personally, I don't think I would be confident enough in my skills after just 2 years, to start a full time externship. Yeah, I'm a little older and loved the idea of being done at 31 instead of 32, but I think the extra year spent working with preceptors, mentors, with supervision and guidance will make me a better practitioner. I've historically struggled with self-confidence in work settings so this is very much just a personal preference. 

Also, I want to be a pediatric audiologist, and the opportunities at IU just didn't seem as strong as other programs I was accepted to. 

The "Accelerated Audiology" thread has comments from a current student; I would DM him/her for more insight! Good luck in your decision!

Thank you for your information. I am also an "older student," but don't think I want to sacrifice experiences for finishing early either. I just received funding at Vanderbilt and will likely be accepting!

Good luck to you!