Refusing offers

Guest uneasy

Guest uneasy

how do you say, 'no thank you, I've got a better offer' in a very very nice way when your could've-been-menthor writes you a great email full of words such as 'delighted', 'excellent background', 'perfect match' etc to tell you you've been admitted to their program?

I find it hard to put the refusal into words when they're being so kind to me, and so interested in me...

thanks

Are you in school right now/in touch with your past professors? I would try to talk to a professor who has been in the situation before & ask them what they would like to hear. You don't want to burn any bridges because you never know when you will see this could've-been-mentor at a conference in the future, etc. Yet you also want to sound professional.

Good luck! I am going to be in this position in about 2 weeks assuming I like the school I'm visiting on Friday. Though I didn't get it laid on quite as think as you did with all of that "perfect match" stuff!

• 2 weeks later...

My mentors have told me that if you have had phone or in-person contact with the faculty, you should call them and let them know you are declining their offer as opposed to just emailing them. They said it's a lot more polite and you don't want to burn any bridges with people who will be in your field.