Chemistry Fall 2010

Eyetea

I just toured a few labs at UC Davis and I was quite impressed. The professors were knowledgeable, friendly, and excited to talk about their research with me. There were some AWESOME laser systems including several home-built NOPAs, a Terawatt system for high energy nanoresearch, some really interesting work on photochemistry/water oxidation, and what I found to be fascinating (unexpectedly), was a forensics laboratory employing surface science techniques such as laser desorption, UHV apparatuses (FT-MS, FT-RAIRS) and some other cool stuff.

I've been accepted at much higher ranked schools, but rankings don't really mean anything in the broader scope. The research was exciting and dynamic, and the university itself is on an upward trend as older professors are being replaced with younger PIs.

I'm inching closer and closer toward sending Davis my SIR.

You have no idea how happy I am to hear this. Davis would be a great school. I am banking on the fact that my recommender (also known as my boss' boss) knows a lot of people there and works with them.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm interested in organometallics, and have applied to:

Toronto

British Columbia

MIT

Michigan - Ann Arbor

Washington - Seattle

Actually, I haven't applied to the two Canadian schools yet (Canadian deadlines are generally later).

KevinM, you don't have to answer if you don't want to, but I am curious: where are you applying?

From your list, I only applied to Washington. Also applying to a few schools in the northeast but no top 10.

Hi guys I'm new to the forum. I'm interested in chemical biology, bioorganic, drug design, and carbohydrate chemistry (mostly synthesis). I've applied to

UCLA

USC

UC Davis

UCSC

UCR

Brown

Dartmouth

WUSTL

Arizona

Colorado-Denver

USC Pharmaceutical Sciences

I haven't heard anything yet... but I just finished my apps 3 weeks ago, so I'm not surprised. Good luck to everyone.

• 3 weeks later...