Chemistry PhD decision

Fullmetal

Hi everyone, I'm having trouble making a choice for the chemistry PhD for Fall 2016, I would appreciate any opinions on the matter. I am an international student btw.

My two options are: UC Irvine or U Chicago.

Funding: pretty much the same in both, around 30 k each. Any opinions about the living cost in each city? I've done my research about it but any opinion would be helpful.

Research interest: mainly something related to biochemistry: chemical biology/biomaterials/biophysical sciences. I've emailed professors in both universities to talk about their research but both of them seemed equally interesting to me.

Graduate life?: I've read that the community in Irvine is not very sociable, unlike Chicago which seems a more vibrant city, but it is not that important for me I guess. I am looking for a comfortable place to live but I wouldn't want to be isolated all the time either.

Weather: Obviously California is a lot warmer than Chicago, but is it really that cold all year long in Chicago? I've never lived in a cold city so I don't know what to expect in that matter.

Thanks for the advice.

I saw this on the side bar and warning, I'm not a chemist. But I lived on the UCI campus last summer and admittedly wasn't thrilled: apartment buildings are all removed from each other, even just getting around campus felt like you needed a car, and there's nothing in the immediate vicinity besides UCI and its little commercial center (with the trader joe's etc.), at least that I could find. And I say this having done undergrad in CA (and loving it), so driving wasn't a big deal.

I'll counter myself with "I've never been to Chicago" and "yeah, but you only lived in Irvine for the summer which may be quieter than normal" and "Irvine is close to the beach, great weather, and (important for us geologists), has you within a few hours of mountains".

Probably better for others to respond, but wanted to help if possible!

I go to school in Chicago right now, and, building off of what gelologist said, I think you should go to UChicago! It's a burgeoning program in a great city that is pretty cold in the winter but great in all other seasons. Also, you will have easy access to all the entertainment, cuisine, culture, etc., that you could ever want! The downsides are that where UChicago is located is not nice and that the atmosphere is a bit serious; to deal with this, you should try to find the nicer places grad students live and what the environment of each lab is like.

Anyways, these are just my opinions (and a few facts), best of luck on your decision!

I think the most important thing is research fit. You say you've emailed professors at both, but have you read all of their recent publications? How do you see yourself and your long-term research goals fitting into their lab?

Similarly, how many faculty would you see yourself working with at either institution? 

My recommendations to my undergrads are to only go somewhere that you have at least 3 faculty members who you would be very interested in working with. Less than that, and you run an increasing risk of having to completely switch research interests (lab's already full, competition for a few lab spots, PI turns out to be a jerk you can't work with, etc.). 

You mention stipends, but what about the rest of the funding package? How are benefits at the two schools, does either require more/less TA work than the other?

Have you talked to grad students at either institution?